• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why converse of G-d is needed by humans?

Milton Platt

This is because logic and reasoning alone cannot lead to the perfect cognition of G-d.

Everyone’s thoughts are welcome whether one belongs to a religion or no religion.

Regards

It would help if you carefully define the god you are referring to......

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It would help if you carefully define the god you are referring to......
OK.
G-d with the attributes mentioned in the following :
[1:1]In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[1:2]All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
[1:3]The Gracious, the Merciful,
[1:4]Master of the Day of Judgment.
[1:5]Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
[1:6]Guide us in the right path —
[1:7]The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowedThyblessings, those who have not incurredThydispleasure, and those who have not gone astray.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=1

Regards

Milton Platt

OK.
G-d with the attributes mentioned in the following :
[1:1]In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[1:2]All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
[1:3]The Gracious, the Merciful,
[1:4]Master of the Day of Judgment.
[1:5]Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
[1:6]Guide us in the right path —
[1:7]The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowedThyblessings, those who have not incurredThydispleasure, and those who have not gone astray.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=1

Regards

Milton Platt

Not everything you listed are actually attributes of the god, but close enough. Referencing the god as Allah gets us in the ballpark. Thanks.

morphesium

This is because logic and reasoning alone cannot lead to the perfect cognition of G-d.

Everyone’s thoughts are welcome whether one belongs to a religion or no religion.

Regards
Paarsurrey, I don't know where to start with but just trying. These are the questions (of the many) i once asked myself (in blue) and the answers i came up with is embedded in a spoiler.

We, [(you, me, every one in here on RF, and every people i personally know etc )( and I am not talking about people who are dead now)] have never come across God so far, or God has never revealed himself to us, but we believe it exists. We believe that God created us and believe God is great and very powerful and so on. Equally, if there is light then there has to be darkness darkness. So if there is God, then surely there should be evil/ devil. We don't know what devil is, but we believe it is against God. So if devil is an adversary of God, devil has to be almost equally powerful, or at least the devil should think that the devil could win if it plays well enough- otherwise there is no reason why devil should work or act against God.

So how do we know that it is the God who made us and not the Devil? (or alternatively, how do we know our God is good, not a bad guy?)
There are some virtues in all of us. We have our morals, a sense to do the right or be with the right etc. If it is the devil who made us, then we wouldn't be having these virtues. Of course, we may have some bad qualities in ourselves, but our moral is always guiding us to the right path.

So if it is God who made us, what are the possible ways God could converse to us without revealing himself?
Through some miracles? Lets say those who have seen the miracles may have a reason to believe, but what about others who haven't seen the miracle. What if it is the devil who plays with the miracle? Any one can say - see, 300 years back such a miracle has happened, that shows the power of God. So you must believe this. - This is just utter stupidity. This will only lead to many religions ultimately fighting for no reason.
Through some prophets? Again absurd. Why would god send one prophet, then another and so on - only to make people fight over this. People interpret differently and soon subsets of the religion are formed which again starts to fight with each other.

Additionally, if god desired, we would have all born with the inherent knowledge of god, so we wouldn't fight over this. Or alternatively, God could implant his message directly into our head, he only need to raise the electric potential between the neurons here and there. So, this along with our morale is the best way god can converse with us without revealing himself.

Moreover, God can guide us through our morale. All human beings have some morale and are capable of rational thinking (these qualities are very innate to us). The good thing about morale is that it is always one step ahead of us. So , listening to your morale makes you better and even better. In effect, it will keep on polishing oneself. Hence, morale can guide one. As ones morale polishes oneself individually, collectively it is the society that eventually gets polished; so is social justice- it gets polished; so is social laws - it gets polished. That is the reason why social injustice like slavery, inhumane laws etc that were once much prevalent and legal in our societies are now illegal and abandoned.

"I reject any religious doctrine that does not appeal to reason and is in conflict with morality". -- Gandhi.

"The devil is never any more evil then when he appears to be the angle of light"

Paarsurrey, I don't know where to start with but just trying. These are the questions (of the many) i once asked myself (in blue) and the answers i came up with is embedded in a spoiler.

We, [(you, me, every one in here on RF, and every people i personally know etc )( and I am not talking about people who are dead now)] have never come across God so far, or God has never revealed himself to us, but we believe it exists. We believe that God created us and believe God is great and very powerful and so on. Equally, if there is light then there has to be darkness darkness. So if there is God, then surely there should be evil/ devil. We don't know what devil is, but we believe it is against God. So if devil is an adversary of God, devil has to be almost equally powerful, or at least the devil should think that the devil could win if it plays well enough- otherwise there is no reason why devil should work or act against God.

So how do we know that it is the God who made us and not the Devil? (or alternatively, how do we know our God is good, not a bad guy?)
There are some virtues in all of us. We have our morals, a sense to do the right or be with the right etc. If it is the devil who made us, then we wouldn't be having these virtues. Of course, we may have some bad qualities in ourselves, but our moral is always guiding us to the right path.

So if it is God who made us, what are the possible ways God could converse to us without revealing himself?
Through some miracles? Lets say those who have seen the miracles may have a reason to believe, but what about others who haven't seen the miracle. What if it is the devil who plays with the miracle? Any one can say - see, 300 years back such a miracle has happened, that shows the power of God. So you must believe this. - This is just utter stupidity. This will only lead to many religions ultimately fighting for no reason.
Through some prophets? Again absurd. Why would god send one prophet, then another and so on - only to make people fight over this. People interpret differently and soon subsets of the religion are formed which again starts to fight with each other.

Additionally, if god desired, we would have all born with the inherent knowledge of god, so we wouldn't fight over this. Or alternatively, God could implant his message directly into our head, he only need to raise the electric potential between the neurons here and there. So, this along with our morale is the best way god can converse with us without revealing himself.

Moreover, God can guide us through our morale. All human beings have some morale and are capable of rational thinking (these qualities are very innate to us). The good thing about morale is that it is always one step ahead of us. So , listening to your morale makes you better and even better. In effect, it will keep on polishing oneself. Hence, morale can guide one. As ones morale polishes oneself individually, collectively it is the society that eventually gets polished; so is social justice- it gets polished; so is social laws - it gets polished. That is the reason why social injustice like slavery, inhumane laws etc that were once much prevalent and legal in our societies are now illegal and abandoned.

"I reject any religious doctrine that does not appeal to reason and is in conflict with morality". -- Gandhi.

"The devil is never any more evil then when he appears to be the angle of light"

I agree with your reasoning. If we were created and our creator wanted us to behave in certain ways then it would just have to give us instincts and desires that would naturally drive us to behave as desired. No need for prophets and holy books. What kind of creator needs to constantly correct and adjust his work so that it continues to function as he likes anyway?