• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Justice, Love and Mercy Meet

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
(This thread was started for Buttercup. It's a lesson I gave in the LDS women's auxiliary in my congregation. It contains a few references to people and stories in The Book of Mormon, but for the most part, it ought to be pretty understandable to anybody reading it, particularly if they have a background in Christianity. This is post 1 of 3.)

We're going to start today by talking about three words: Justice, love and mercy.

We'll start with justice. When I think of justice, I think of the little sign on the wall of Jimmy John's Sandwiches up on 30th East, which says, "When you do what you did, you get what you got." What do you think of when you think of justice?

Love. We all know what it feels like to love someone and what it feels like to be loved, butwhat are some of the specific attributes you associate with love?

Mercy. What does the word "mercy" bring to mind?

It's easy to think of love and mercy as being almost intrinsically related. But when you throw justice into the mix, things don't seem quite right any more. You have a sense of justice not quite belonging. But the point at which these three things -- justice, love and mercy -- converge was the subject of a Conference address given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland this past April, and it's the subject of today's lesson.

I think we would all agree that justice, as incompatible as it seems to be with mercy and love, is a good thing, and that people should be held accountable for their wrong-doings. God established laws for a reason. What kind of God would give us commandments, and then simply turn a blind eye when we disobeyed them? Or worse, what kind of God would condemn the same act of disobedience in one person but completely overlook it in someone else? I don't know about you, but I would find it very difficult to trust and respect a God who was so fickle and inconsistent in administering justice. You'd never really know where you stood with such a God, and there would be nothing just in that kind of justice.

Elder Holland told the true story of two brothers, Jimmy, age 14, and John, age 19. These two teenage boys set out one day from their home in Southern Utah to go rock climbing. They neglected to take with them any kind of safety gear, because -- well, as I said, they were teenage boys. And when you're a teenage boy, you're invincible.

Well, near the top of their climb, they suddenly realized that they were positioned in such a way that they could neither climb over a protruding ledge that would have taken them to the top of the cliff, nor could they turn around and go back down to look for another way up. They were essentially trapped. Eventually, John was able to find enough sure footing that he succeeded in boosting his younger brother to safety. But, having done so, he realized that he had no way to lift himself up and over the ledge. He started to panic. He knew that he couldn't possibly survive a fall from that height. While he realized that his only option was very unlikely to succeed, he decided to try to jump vertically and try to grasp on to the top of the ledge and, using the strength of his arms, pull himself up to the top. We'll hear the rest of the story in John's own words:

“Prior to my jump I told Jimmy to go search for a tree branch strong enough to extend down to me, although I knew there was nothing of the kind on this rocky summit. It was only a desperate ruse. If my jump failed, the least I could do was make certain my little brother did not see me falling to my death. “Giving him enough time to be out of sight, I said my last prayer—that I wanted my family to know I loved them and that Jimmy could make it home safely on his own—then I leapt. There was enough adrenaline in my spring that the jump extended my arms above the ledge almost to my elbows. But as I slapped my hands down on the surface, I felt nothing but loose sand on flat stone. I can still remember the gritty sensation of hanging there with nothing to hold on to—no lip, no ridge, nothing to grab or grasp. I felt my fingers begin to recede slowly over the sandy surface. I knew my life was over."

“But then suddenly, like a lightning strike in a summer storm, two hands shot out from somewhere above the edge of the cliff, grabbing my wrists with a strength and determination that belied their size. My faithful little brother had not gone looking for any fictitious tree branch. Guessing exactly what I was planning to do, he had never moved an inch. He had simply waited—silently, almost breathlessly—knowing full well I would be foolish enough to try to make that jump. When I did, he grabbed me, held me, and refused to let me fall. Those strong brotherly arms saved my life that day as I dangled helplessly above what would surely have been certain death."

I always love Elder Holland's talks on the Atonement and, judging from how powerful and moving they always are, my guess is that this must be one of his favorite topics to speak on. I got something a little different out of this particular talk, though, than I have gotten in the past out of his many talks on the Atonement. And it was this: The Atonement was part of a grand plan that unfolded exactly as God knew it would and exactly as He wanted it to.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
(This is post 2 of 3.)

At this point, I want to stop and explain the reason behind my approach to the next part of the lesson. I am going to be talking quite a bit about "traditional Christianity," and will be comparing traditional Christian beliefs to LDS doctrine. I just want to make it clear that it is not my intent to denigrate the beliefs of other Christians, but to emphasize how blessed we are to have the knowledge that has been restored to us in this day and age.

Elder Holland pointed out that among Christians today, the belief in what he called a "fortunate fall" is very unusual. I picked up on the phrase, "fortunate fall," because I'd heard it before, and I decided to see where it originated. As it turns out, the words, "fortunate fall" come from the Latin phrase "felix culpa." The Latin word "felix" means "happy," "lucky," or "blessed." If you speak Spanish, you'll immediately make the connection between the Latin "felix" and the Spanish "feliz," as in "Feliz Navidad," or "Happy Christmas." "Culpa" means "fault" or "fall." During the first few centuries of Christianity, Christ's followers understood the fall of Adam to have been a necessary event and part of God's plan for the eternal happiness of His children. There were exceptions to this. For instance, one 2nd-century Church father, Tertullian, told an all-female audience, "You are the devil's gateway," and went on to tell them that they were collectively (as daughters of Eve) responsible for the death of Christ. It was, however, primarily with St. Augustine (in the late 4th and early 5th centuries) that the doctrine of "Original Sin" as well as the associated concept of "original guilt" began to take hold.

The average Christian today believes this doctrine. He characterizes Adam and Eve as being rebellious, vain and power-hungry, and believes that their choice not only brought sin and death into the world, but condemned every person who would ever live to bear their guilt and supposed depravity -- from birth. Their decision to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is consequently seen by most Christians today as being incredibly stupid and selfish on Adam's and Eve's part. When viewed from this perfective, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, "fortunate" about the Fall of Adam.

I listened to a Mormon podcast awhile back in which a BYU professor related an experience that happened to him when he told a non-member friend that he was the father of a new baby boy. His friend asked what they had named the baby. When he answered, "Adam," his friend was horrified, and actually said something to the effect that they might as well have picked the name "Lucifer." His reaction may have been extreme, but it does reflect the traditional Christian perspective of the Fall and of the kind of people Adam and Eve are believed to have been.

We as Latter-day Saints see the Fall of Adam as being fortunate in a number of respects. If you were to try to explain to someone why this is, how would you go about doing so? In what respects do we see the Fall what we see as "fortunate"?

If Adam and Eve truly were the defiant and self-centered individuals traditional Christianity paints them as, how would you explain the fact that Genesis 3:6 says, that "when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat"? After all, if the Tree is said to have been "good for food, pleasant to the eyes and [desirable] to make one wise," doesn't it sound more as if Eve, rather than being defiant and self-centered, was actually just a woman pursuing wisdom, truth and beauty.

Regardless of how literally one takes the story of the Creation and the events which transpired in Eden, we must ultimately acknowledge that there would have been no need for an Atonement had there not been a Fall, an actual fall from grace by two people who really did live and were given a choice which would impact the billions of their descendants. This makes you stop and think -- or at least it should -- that to believe anything other than that the Fall was a fortunate and anticipated one is to suggest that God was a pretty incompetent planner and this His Plan was derailed before it ever got off the ground. Contrary to popular opinion, Adam and Eve did not create some kind of a glitch in God's plan. When they ate the forbidden fruit, God didn't suddenly have to engage in some kind of frantic damage control. He simply did what He knew all along He would be doing when the time was right. He cast Adam and Eve out of the Garden.

Most Christians today see the expulsion from Eden as a much-deserved punishment. Period. The end. There's actually a very good reason for that. Reading the account of the Fall of Adam in Genesis, you will see that the story jumps from where Adam and Eve were cast out of Eden to where Cain and Abel are both grown men in about three verses. To say that Adam and Eve's story ends on a depressing note is an understatement. There is no indication in Genesis that God ever told Adam that all was not lost. There is no hint that Adam was ever given any hope for future redemption. We haven't so much as a clue that Adam and Eve didn't spend the rest of their lives feeling the burden of having failed God and the entire human race. Here's how Elder Holland put it:

"What a plight! The entire human race in free fall -- every man, woman, and child in it physically tumbling toward permanent death, spiritually plunging toward eternal anguish. Is that what life was meant to be? Is this the grand finale of the human experience? Are we all just hanging in a cold canyon somewhere in an indifferent universe, each of us searching for a toehold, each of us seeking for something to grip -- with nothing but the feeling of sand sliding under our fingers, nothing to save us, nothing to hold on to, much less anything to hold on to us? Is our only purpose in life an empty existential exercise -- simply to leap as high as we can, hang on for our prescribed three score years and ten, then fail and fall, and keep falling forever?"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
(This is post 3 of 3)

Now, let's read from Moses 5: 9-12 to see what really transpired following their expulsion from Eden:

"And in that day the Holy Ghost fell upon Adam, which beareth record of the Father and the Son, saying: I am the Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning, henceforth and forever, that as thou hast fallen thou mayest be redeemed, and all mankind, even as many as will. And in that day Adam blessed God and was filled, and began to prophesy concerning all the families of the earth, saying: Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God. And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient. And Adam and Eve blessed the name of God, and they made all things known unto their sons and their daughters."

We know, both through modern revelation and through the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price, that God's Plan was instituted long before Adam and Eve ever set foot in Eden, that it existed, at least in concept, long before Eden was even created. We know that a Savior had been chosen and that we were all told how the Plan was to work. We, in fact, chose to participate in it. Try to imagine how we might have reacted to the news during that Grand Council in Heaven during our pre-earth life. I would think that, when our Father in Heaven first started to explain His Plan to us, we were probably pretty excited. We understood that obtaining a physical body and experiencing mortality were the first of many steps we would have to take in order to eventually become like Him. Things probably sounded pretty good until He got to the part where He told us that He had a zero-tolerance policy with respect to sin. In other words, when it was time for us to return home, entrance to God's Kingdom wouldn't be based on whether our good deeds outweighed our sins. The qualifying factor for salvation would be that we be "100% sin-free." That must have taken the wind out of our sails.

When Jesus Christ stepped forward and offered to pay the price for our sins so that we could be forgiven of them without having to endure the punishment, we must have been kind of overwhelmed. I can easily imagine myself having said, "Wait a minute. Are you saying that if I were to accept this opportunity, this gift of mortality and then were to mess up, you'd suffer and die so that I didn't have to be punished? Why would you do that?"

And then Jesus would probably have explained that He would do it because He loved me, more than I could possibly imagine. And all I would need to do was sincerely repent of my sins, resolve to do better in the future, and believe that He really would come through for me. Hey, I could do that! But still it wouldn't seem "just" that I sin and that He suffer. I suspect that He probably had to patiently explain the process to me, maybe several times, before I could actually get my head around the idea that justice, love and mercy actually could meet in such a way that I could accept His gift and feel not guilty for doing so, but instead, just joyous and grateful.

This process would involve something called a covenant. To illustrate how a covenant would work in this situation, imagine that you are young and single. You meet a guy and he is perfect. He is exactly the man you had always hoped to meet. The two of you fall in love and he asks you to marry him. Of course you say, "yes." And then you start talking about your the life you'll make together. You talk about how you'll share everything, and about how there will be no more "yours" or "mine"; there will only be "ours." This means, among other things, that you will open a joint bank account. Oh, there's one thing I neglected to mention. You are not only young and single, but deeply in debt -- to the tune of $1 million. Your fiancé, on the other hand, is wealthy -- I mean very wealthy. He is worth more money than you can possibly even conceive of. What does this mean to you in terms of your future financial security? From the moment the two of you say, "I do" and sign on the dotted line for that joint account, you are debt free. As long as you are true and faithful to him, your debt becomes his and his ability to pay it off becomes yours.

We entered into a covenant much like that when we were baptized. We agreed to love our Savior, our Benefactor, forever, and to always do our best to live in a way that would please Him. He agreed to lead us back home to our Father in Heaven, clean and pure. Immediately upon our receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, this new partnership was sealed, and it will remain binding unless we choose to break the terms of the covenant. This partnership resulted in each one of us becoming, as King Benjamin put it, a "new creature." Because Christ's "assets," so to speak, are infinite, that is without end, no matter how great our "liabilities," we became "perfect in Christ." We two became one. And as in a marriage, we even agreed to take our partner's name upon ourselves.

Beginning in the spiritual anguish of the Garden of Gethsemane, moving to an agonizing death by crucifixion on Calvary, and concluding on a beautiful Sunday morning inside a borrowed tomb, Jesus Christ demonstrated, through the most pure and perfect love the world has ever known that, as the Prophet Alma said, "justice exerciseth all his demands, and... mercy claimeth all which is her own."

I leave these thoughts with you and pray that you may reflect on them throughout the coming week. And I do so in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hi Kitty, :)

Just want you to know I read your lesson and think you did a great job with analogical references and the straightforward use of scripture to align with the points you wanted to make. I hope all you ladies enjoyed your time together with this lesson.

I've never read the Book of Moses and it has me curious. So much was left out regarding Adam and Eve in standard bibles that what I just read makes a lot of sense. I might have to do some digging.

Thank you for posting this. I hope to be back to maybe ask a few questions, if that's ok.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi Kitty, :)

Just want you to know I read your lesson and think you did a great job with analogical references and the straightforward use of scripture to align with the points you wanted to make. I hope all you ladies enjoyed your time together with this lesson.

I've never read the Book of Moses and it has me curious. So much was left out regarding Adam and Eve in standard bibles that what I just read makes a lot of sense. I might have to do some digging.

Thank you for posting this. I hope to be back to maybe ask a few questions, if that's ok.
You're a real trouper. That was a lot of material to read. I appreciate your comments!