• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do Thoughts come from?

If you really think about what you think about.. what do you think about it?

When we are fresh out the womb we have no knowledge of what things are and what things are called in this physical world. We have certain instincts that enable us to survive but we have no names or labels for anything.

Then as we grow through communication our parents teach us language. Which language is just making sounds with different forms and frequencies to a group that's familiar with the common shared noise system.

These sounds tell us what things are and this developed our knowledge of the entire world. All we know is there this and that. We have taken that and recycled all possibilities to make the best decision and life for our survival. Nothing we say or do is new it's simply recreating the recreated.

For all our parents knew was there parents this and that. And their parents only knew their parents this and that. The line goes on and on.. Until what point?

What we know and like truly isn't us at all. Only the influence directed strongly from a big person in our experience.

These thoughts can be blamed on and on down the line but the truth is no one knows. We think, therefore we are. At the source of all thought is the same you that's me. It's the internet and we are all just different websites displaying our own opinions and agendas.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

When we are fresh out the womb we have no knowledge of what things are and what things are called in this physical world. We have certain instincts that enable us to survive but we have no names or labels for anything.

Then as we grow through communication our parents teach us language. Which language is just making sounds with different forms and frequencies to a group that's familiar with the common shared noise system.

These sounds tell us what things are and this developed our knowledge of the entire world. All we know is there this and that. We have taken that and recycled all possibilities to make the best decision and life for our survival. Nothing we say or do is new it's simply recreating the recreated.

For all our parents knew was there parents this and that. And their parents only knew their parents this and that. The line goes on and on.. Until what point?

What we know and like truly isn't us at all. Only the influence directed strongly from a big person in our experience.

These thoughts can be blamed on and on down the line but the truth is no one knows. We think, therefore we are. At the source of all thought is the same you that's me. It's the internet and we are all just different websites displaying our own opinions and agendas.
I hope this thread lives for awhile
seems to me most people won't try such line of 'thought'.

I hope this thread lives for awhile
seems to me most people won't try such line of 'thought'.

Thanks! I agree. There is so much negative influence out there it becomes difficult for most. After I had a self realization I want to spread what I've learned in my journey to hopefully help "someone else."

Thief

Rogue Theologian
having considered.....
we are born with a clean slate.....so to speak

it will be sometime before we learn our names
and likely we will learn the word.....no.....first

after that, I see the ability to spot consequence as the first sign of thought

baby touch....baby gets spanked....baby thinks about it.....next time around
( I used to baby sit for neighbors)

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The nature of my thoughts, of course. Our thoughts both arise from and directly support our beliefs about reality. In some ways, thoughts are precipitated by consciousness impacting on perceived reality.

When we are fresh out the womb we have no knowledge of what things are and what things are called in this physical world. We have certain instincts that enable us to survive but we have no names or labels for anything
and it is largely because of the lack of labels that most tend to forget the earliest times in a given life. My earliest "snapshot" memory has been pegged at between 6 - 10 weeks old and is of looking up into a back-lit cherry tree in full bloom. There are no words attached to the memory, just an awareness that is seeing, feeling, breathing... alive. The cherry trees are in bloom in the Pacific Northwest during March - April and I was born Feb. 23. What is interesting is I spent my first spring under the huge cherry tree in the back yard that spring and summer while my parent built our house... 60 years ago... (Not sure why I told y'all about that, but it seemed to be important.) I have other "snapshot" memories before I learned to talk when I was 18 months old. The 2nd main memory is like an old silent movie and is stunningly clear. It was a normal trip to the doctor to get weighed, vaccination and general checkup. I still remember how freezing cold the silver scale bowl was that they put me in. (Used to be standard saddle shape thing way back when.)

I suppose one could look at it that way, but it is more learning symbols for common aspects of objective reality. We are aware. We already have non-linear, non-verbal thoughts, learning language gives us a symbol library through which we can marshal those thoughts and share approximations of those thoughts with others.

I could be quite wrong, but I disagree. It's not that language tells us what things are... language helps us to describe observable reality to others. The words are not the information imparted... they are the vehicle.

If but that were the whole story. You have forgotten to mention experience and learning.

Again, I disagree. We are not cut out dolls that we can slap paper clothes over. We are multidimensional, complex, beings. Though without a doubt we can be heavily influenced by people in our lives we are a little more than doormats for their neurosis. Then again, I do see how this could be problematic for less intelligent human animals. Their ability to resist a strong influence would be compromised by their lack of intellectual dexterity.

I AM... therefore I think. And no, I no longer believe in this misunderstanding of the Oneness experience. You are not me and I am not you, though I am certainly at One with my own psyche.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

Interactions of neurons.

The nature of my thoughts, of course. Our thoughts both arise from and directly support our beliefs about reality. In some ways, thoughts are precipitated by consciousness impacting on perceived reality.

and it is largely because of the lack of labels that most tend to forget the earliest times in a given life. My earliest "snapshot" memory has been pegged at between 6 - 10 weeks old and is of looking up into a back-lit cherry tree in full bloom. There are no words attached to the memory, just an awareness that is seeing, feeling, breathing... alive. The cherry trees are in bloom in the Pacific Northwest during March - April and I was born Feb. 23. What is interesting is I spent my first spring under the huge cherry tree in the back yard that spring and summer while my parent built our house... 60 years ago... (Not sure why I told y'all about that, but it seemed to be important.) I have other "snapshot" memories before I learned to talk when I was 18 months old. The 2nd main memory is like an old silent movie and is stunningly clear. It was a normal trip to the doctor to get weighed, vaccination and general checkup. I still remember how freezing cold the silver scale bowl was that they put me in. (Used to be standard saddle shape thing way back when.)

I suppose one could look at it that way, but it is more learning symbols for common aspects of objective reality. We are aware. We already have non-linear, non-verbal thoughts, learning language gives us a symbol library through which we can marshal those thoughts and share approximations of those thoughts with others.

I could be quite wrong, but I disagree. It's not that language tells us what things are... language helps us to describe observable reality to others. The words are not the information imparted... they are the vehicle.

If but that were the whole story. You have forgotten to mention experience and learning.

Again, I disagree. We are not cut out dolls that we can slap paper clothes over. We are multidimensional, complex, beings. Though without a doubt we can be heavily influenced by people in our lives we are a little more than doormats for their neurosis. Then again, I do see how this could be problematic for less intelligent human animals. Their ability to resist a strong influence would be compromised by their lack of intellectual dexterity.

I AM... therefore I think. And no, I no longer believe in this misunderstanding of the Oneness experience. You are not me and I am not you, though I am certainly at One with my own psyche.

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate your opinion. My way makes more sense to me and of course yours does to you. Regardless, it's nice to be around the response of a thinker.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Experiences and Knowledge play a big part in who we are. A website just sits there and waits for input we actively can and should seek input.

allfoak

Alchemist
Thought..... wait, I'm thinking...
Okay never mind, getting off that train.
Had an idea and lost it, no idea where it went.

I love thought, we can do anything with it.
People birth ideas within and then kill them as well, the world of thought can be a violent place or one of peace.
We can keep one as a pet and feed it and watch it grow, those are called beliefs of course.
We can use, abuse, ignore, nurture, hate, love, or what ever we want to do with it.

Thoughts are alive.
So where do they come from?
Do we just make them up?

If it is true that there is nothing new under the sun, then the only answer would be that there is a source of pure thought that has been divided so many times that it is very difficult to discern.
This source must exist in a pure and whole state with all division existing within an equilibrium.
We are simply a holographic part of the whole that only sees the division because we are only a part of the whole, not the whole itself.

So knowledge would come from the same place as thought would come from, our source.
It seems like thought just rises up from within ourselves rather than coming from some separate source, so what is the deal?
We are holographic in nature, we contain everything that the source contains.
Our source is within us and outside of us, it is a part of us, and we are part of it.

In order to be able to connect with the higher thoughts that exist within our source we must become pure like our source.

We must become like our source to become one with our source.
We must think like another in order to understand them.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate your opinion. My way makes more sense to me and of course yours does to you. Regardless, it's nice to be around the response of a thinker.
I'm curious. How old are you in real life? If you are still quite young I would be enormously impressed by what you have written. If you are older than, say, 35... then you really need to re-examine some of your thinking.

For your edification I started this thread over 10 years ago on RF and it will always remain one of my favorites... http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/the-mind-of-a-child.23653/#post-278377

I only ask because I found myself getting into a fairly deep conversation yesterday with a person about Islam only to find out that I was chatting to a lad who was 15. I still don't agree with much that he has to say but now I am greatly impressed with his ability to express himself so clearly.

Last edited:

Banjankri

Where do Thoughts come from?
Thoughts are the echo of culture, and we have the power to change them as they arise. We are not creating them. This may sound unusual, but that how it is. There are simple practices (like labeling every thought as "illusory") which lead to detachment from thinking. In other words, one sees that he is not the owner of "his" thoughts, because they arise without his will and intention. Moreover, they present slightly different personality when allowed to express themselves. The true source of thinking is "outside", unknown. What we know is that it consists of parts developed by culture, parts that are used by people around us. We know that it's based on memory, and triggered by events. Our senses, feelings and thinking are hardwired, but this wiring has resistors, and this is where "we" come into play. We can suppress the default signal going through our nervous system, and modify it into a desired result. Face expressions are the best examples. They show us the dual nature of our being. They go on without our attention, but on the other had, we can intentionally change them. The same goes for thinking, and basically everything we do. We have an auto-pilot, and a sophisticated steering wheel.

For us, thoughts are just input signal "x" and what we do with it is important. f(x) is what we should really focus on, as f(x)= I, the self. Since the output is also the input, we have a loop, like the fractal Mandelbrot set, which gives infinite complexity. Our mind is a thought fractal which forms itself by crystallizing his activities into habits. On top of it lies consciousness, with intention created from expectations; projection of the past onto the future. By default, we know where we are, through projections we know where we want to be, and through resistance we do it.