• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the difference between "sympathy" and "compassion"?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Hello,

could someone please explain to me the difference between "sympathy" and "compassion". The sentence I want to write is:

"The description of her illness evokes sympathy / arouses compassion."

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Sympathy is feeling what they feel. Compassion is skillful action taken to alleviate suffering. Feeling bad for her is sympathy. An emergency medical tech administering saline is compassion.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello,

could someone please explain to me the difference between "sympathy" and "compassion". The sentence I want to write is:

"The description of her illness evokes sympathy / arouses compassion."
Maybe I shouldn't answer this as a non native speaker myself (and contradict a native speaker on the way, sorry @crossfire) but from the etymology compassion (= with + suffering, German Mitleid) is feeling the pain of the other. Sympathy (similar + feeling, German, maybe Mitgefühl?) is not specific to suffering. You can feel sympathy for someone who's angry, jealous, enjoying themselves, etc.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Maybe I shouldn't answer this as a non native speaker myself (and contradict a native speaker on the way, sorry @crossfire) but from the etymology compassion (= with + suffering, German Mitleid) is feeling the pain of the other. Sympathy (similar + feeling, German, maybe Mitgefühl?) is not specific to suffering. You can feel sympathy for someone who's angry, jealous, enjoying themselves, etc.
It's ok, my definitions are more informed by my Buddhism. :)

Sympathy is neutral--feeling together
Pity is distancing oneself from the source of the sympathetic feeling
Compassion is actively engaging with the sympathetic feeling and working to heal the problem,

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Sympathy is caring about someone's tragic circumstances. Compassion is a feeling of love for others that is charitable and willing to help no matter what. There's a sense of equality of heart no matter what background someone comes from. It's not about skill. It's about willingness.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's ok, my definitions are more informed by my Buddhism. :)
Which might be what @Sirona is looking for.
Pity is distancing oneself from the source of the sympathetic feeling
Compassion is actively engaging with the sympathetic feeling and working to heal the problem,
An important distinction which the German language lacks. Both pity and compassion translate to "Mitleid".