• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would the world be without religion ?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
So.... we will never know.

Me being spiritual and not religious doesn't have issue really with what you are saying. But I'm thinking you also mean spiritual. Even if you don't, I do see some (arguably much) of what science has put forth as beliefs people have. Not to mention faith overwhelming majority has in materialism. Essentially, do away with the 'isms' and I don't know what there is to compare it to, while intelligence remains. People are still going to make godheads and 'fundamental beliefs' out of whatever is left. I really think if a reset button was pressed, we'd return to this point in fairly short order. And if somehow not allowed to return to point where unfounded/axiomatic beliefs are maintained, well, bye bye materialism and those who believe in physicality.
Yes I like that, and yes I do think more on the so called spiritual side, but I don't call myself a Spiritualist, maybe a Mystic, yea I like that but I probably be calling myself some different tomorrow lol.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I believe that it would be a far better world, we would be much more intelligent, and therefore we would be making more intelligent decisions. We would be respectful to each other, not because we are told to be by commandments, but simple because we all are on this planet together, and why not treat each other, just as we want to be treated ?.
What is your basis for comparison?
Yes that's it, we will never know unless we do away with much of religion, it would be a whole new world, but I don't think most are ready yet, take away religion right now would put the world into chaos, people wouldn't know what to do, and isn't that sad. Its like when people retire from their job, many don't know what to do with themselves, and there are many cases where they die not long after retiring. So yes, many are addicted to their beliefs, they wouldn't know what to do without them, and be that whatever belief, but religion is a very strong belief where many put their whole life into, sad.:(
I asked what is YOUR basis for comparison.
What do you have in support of your claim:
I believe that it would be a far better world, we would be much more intelligent, and therefore we would be making more intelligent decisions. We would be respectful to each other, not because we are told to be by commandments, but simple because we all are on this planet together, and why not treat each other, just as we want to be treated ?.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The universe would just be a duller and more depressing, pointless place to me.
I see, actually its the other way around with me, when I dropped all my beliefs no matter how beautiful they were, I for the first time started to life, and play in this big beautiful world, after all the is why I came here from the Source of Consciousness. Think about it, your beliefs that you love are in your mind, they don't exist any where else, in non-duality we are all there is, we lack nothing, of course the mind body organism would not agree lol.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well put that way of course you are right, but the fact is religion has and is causing much heartache, all over wanting to be right with their own beliefs, and believing everyone else is wrong. Even Christians whatever that is, all have their own idea what their god wants from them, and each believing they know what he wants, this is a form of violence.

Some religions (or people in some religions more accurate) do that. It influences everyone most definitely. I just notice that you are using the word religion when I don't think that's the appropriate term to use. Organized religion maybe? But then there are organized religions that don't fit the criteria you're talking about. I'm trying to think of a good adjective to describe the collection of religions that fit what you're describing. The word religion is to broad for what you're talking about.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I asked what is YOUR basis for comparison.
What do you have in support of your claim:

Throughout history, the root cause of many wars has been disagreement over religion. Whole nations throughout the centuries have been torn apart by religious debate and it is still happening now. Without religion, there would have been no 9/11 and no holocaust during the second world war. Millions of deaths could have been prevented in a religion free society.

McBell

Throughout history, the root cause of many wars has been disagreement over religion. Whole nations throughout the centuries have been torn apart by religious debate and it is still happening now. Without religion, there would have been no 9/11 and no holocaust during the second world war. Millions of deaths could have been prevented in a religion free society.
So nothing but bold empty claims?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Some religions (or people in some religions more accurate) do that. It influences everyone most definitely. I just notice that you are using the word religion when I don't think that's the appropriate term to use. Organized religion maybe? But then there are organized religions that don't fit the criteria you're talking about. I'm trying to think of a good adjective to describe the collection of religions that fit what you're describing. The word religion is to broad for what you're talking about.
Yes you are right, but I am sure most would have some idea of what religions I am talking about, and yes they are organized.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
So nothing but bold empty claims?
Well if we didn't have all those wars, don't you think we would be better of today, and how many other wears are there going to be because of religion, how long will it take to realize that much of religion is poison, I am sure you can see what I am saying.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes you are right, but I am sure most would have some idea of what religions I am talking about, and yes they are organized.

Since it's online, not everyone does because depending on where one is from in the world, that person may be religious and would not see religion nor practice religion in the way you describe it. It sounds more geared to a Westernized religious audience.

Bugs me, in general. It's kind of using "some people do this..." when indirectly the speaker is talking about John, but he figures John won't figure it out if he uses the term "some people."

But I challenged you because I know where you stand with organized abrahamic religions. Though, when you use the word religion on its own, I'd assume you have a different view of the word if you didn't look through it by abrahamic lens.

Right?

McBell

Well if we didn't have all those wars, don't you think we would be better of today, and how many other wears are there going to be because of religion, how long will it take to realize that much of religion is poison, I am sure you can see what I am saying.
I do see what you are saying.
And I actually tend to agree with you.

However, neither of those two facts changes the fact you have not presented anything in support of your claim other than more bold empty claims.

Interestingly enough, you are the one who points out:

Yes that's it, we will never know unless we do away with much of religion, it would be a whole new world, but I don't think most are ready yet, take away religion right now would put the world into chaos, people wouldn't know what to do, and isn't that sad. Its like when people retire from their job, many don't know what to do with themselves, and there are many cases where they die not long after retiring. So yes, many are addicted to their beliefs, they wouldn't know what to do without them, and be that whatever belief, but religion is a very strong belief where many put their whole life into, sad.:(
Now I freely admit I took the OP to mean "if there never was any religion" as opposed to "if we removed all religion today"

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Since it's online, not everyone does because depending on where one is from in the world, that person may be religious and would not see religion nor practice religion in the way you describe it. It sounds more geared to a Westernized religious audience.

Bugs me, in general. It's kind of using "some people do this..." when indirectly the speaker is talking about John, but he figures John won't figure it out if he uses the term "some people."

But I challenged you because I know where you stand with organized abrahamic religions. Though, when you use the word religion on its own, I'd assume you have a different view of the word if you didn't look through it by abrahamic lens.

Right?
yes I hate the word religion, as also the word love, there so abused that there is no true meaning left in them, and yes I will have to say what I mean, its just I didn't want to point the finger, I might get it bitten of lol.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I do see what you are saying.
And I actually tend to agree with you.

However, neither of those two facts changes the fact you have not presented anything in support of your claim other than more bold empty claims.

Interestingly enough, you are the one who points out:

Now I freely admit I took the OP to mean "if there never was any religion" as opposed to "if we removed all religion today"
Oh well, if there empty to you then that's what they are for you, actually I did mean to put this post in the debate section, I meant the general discussion, I was hoping others would not agree but share how they felt about disappearance of religion, but its ok. I know I cannot prove how the world without religion would make a better world, but lets face it, it can't be any worse lol.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
We'd fight over something else instead...
Yes that would certainly happen, and that is why I think we are not quite ready yet, but there are many starting to see beyond religion, there are many good teaches out there that are awakened to the whole circus of religion. I feel that slowly many will mature in spirit and realize that we are all One with the Cosmos, that our true self isn't the body, the color of our skin, the culture and geographic area we live in, this truth will release many from the imprisonment of much of religion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
yes I hate the word religion, as also the word love, there so abused that there is no true meaning left in them, and yes I will have to say what I mean, its just I did want to point the finger, I might get it bitten of lol.

Haha. Yeah. Nothing wrong with four fingers....:confused:

Religion and love isn't owned by the group of people who distorted the words.

Maybe live the two how they are supposed to be defined rather than how they are defined politically. Just know that how you see spirituality some people define as religion and the majority of people who do are not all in organized religions here in the West. Kind of broaden your definition a bit.

:fallenleaf: Like...

I don't like the word god. I don't use the word; and, I believe in god but I made it personal. It means the same thing. God has no specific definition other than being the underlining force of the universe whether personified (Jesus Christ, Krishna, etc) or just seen as life (laws of nature, Brahma, etc). So, I just accept that Christian Joe, Hindu Jane, and Jim Bahai all define god differently; but, I know we share a common thread even if Joe and Jane deny it and I grit my teeth because of it.

Anyway. I get what you're saying. Just I think given people are from all around the world, instead of talking about religion, say "organized religion" or put a description or adjective behind it.

I'm off my soapbox now.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I see, actually its the other way around with me, when I dropped all my beliefs no matter how beautiful they were, I for the first time started to life, and play in this big beautiful world, after all the is why I came here from the Source of Consciousness. Think about it, your beliefs that you love are in your mind, they don't exist any where else, in non-duality we are all there is, we lack nothing, of course the mind body organism would not agree lol.
You seem to think religion restricts something. For me, it expands my existence and joy. I like that me and my loved one's consciousness continue to experience after death, myself. This puny life is too short for me:).

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You seem to think religion restricts something. For me, it expands my existence and joy. I like that me and my loved one's consciousness continue to experience after death, myself. This puny life is too short for me:).
I see, so are you using religion as a crutch ?.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think the world would be that much different. Many superficial things would be different, such as art, but those lusting for power, control, and dominance clearly do not need religion to totally screw everything up for everybody else.