• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for you to change your faith to another?

anonymous9887

bible reader
All people have their own faith. What would it take to convert you to another faith? Many people say we'll I need to see a miracle or see it in the bible, but I think even if people saw what they wanted they still wouldn't change it. So what does it really take? Opinions?

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think if it doesn't line up with what you see in day to day experiences and the interpretation of them - there has to be a sufficiently powerful, dramatic, and/or extraordinary event or series of events. It will naturally vary person to person. What people really have faith in isn't the same as what they think likely true.

Laika

Premium Member
A belief system the triggers such a massive "high" that it should be listed as class A drug. I can find plenty of bad reasons to justify believing it later.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
A trauma, crisis, or a general dissatisfaction with one's life or self, combined with a positive social interaction with a charismatic member of another faith seems to be a common recipe for adopting a new faith - at least until the same situation comes around again and they encounter a new person with answers.

Reactions: Emi

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
All people have their own faith. What would it take to convert you to another faith? Many people say we'll I need to see a miracle or see it in the bible, but I think even if people saw what they wanted they still wouldn't change it. So what does it really take? Opinions?

Uniao Do Vegetal.

For the DMT

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not much influenced by faith (belief without sufficient evidence). My opinions, though, are amenable to evidence.

anonymous9887

bible reader
A trauma, crisis, or a general dissatisfaction with one's life or self, combined with a positive social interaction with a charismatic member of another faith seems to be a common recipe for adopting a new faith - at least until the same situation comes around again and they encounter a new person with answers.
So your saying for some people its more of a comfort thing than it is a truth thing?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd be looking for anything relating to the nature of Reality or the existence of some magical, supernatural beings, Paul.

anonymous9887

bible reader
All I'm saying, is I think people have the wrong idea about faith. In my beliefs the god I serve always provided evidence from the beginning until now. The only difference is now all we can examine is his word, none the less it's based on something that can be tested rather then believe just because. There has to be an evidence before you put faith in what is promised.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
These Gods the religious speak of are many and varied -- and there is no empirical evidence for any of them, much less any evidence they care a whit weather we recognise their existence or not.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If I found out that what we considered life in us as artificial (thinking of sci-fi). If out of the blue I felt like I am messed up inside and need someone outside myself for help and no one on earth for some reason I can trust to help me as I them.

I really dont know. My beliefs are so common sense and ingrained in me youd little have to convince me I am not good, I am not alive, nature doesnt take care of us, and find a way to disprove the truth and experiences from my religious practices of my current belief and worldviews.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

To see all theists in the world believing in the same god. Overnight.

That would pass Hume's miracle test, I think.

Ciao

- viole