• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the first sin ever committed ?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Speaking from the perspective of the OP's religion and the Bible.

Let me begin by stating that according to the Bible, God is infinite power (Psalm 147:5; Job 42:2; Daniel 2:21), infinite knowledge (Psalm 139:1–6; Isaiah 46:9–10; 1 John 3:20), and is present everywhere simultaneously (Psalm 139:7–10; Isaiah 40:12; Colossians 1:17). Having established what the Bible claims about God's omni-attributes, I will continue with my viewpoint. In my opinion, God committed the first sin because he created Adam and Eve with the foreknowledge that they would disobey him after he used the serpent to deliberately tempt them with a forbidden fruit. According to the creation story, he not only punished them for their disobedience (which he knew would happen), but he also punished the serpent for doing what he knew it would do; he punished and unjustly cursed the rest of humanity with a sinful nature for the sin of Adam and Eve; and he devised a sinister plan to brutally kill his own son by torturing him and crucifiying him in order to correct his original sin of creating humanity with the foreknowledge that they would become corrupt.

If God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and ever-present, as the Bible claims, then surely he would know better than to create Adam and Eve (and the rest of humanity), knowing that he would later regret creating humanity and repopulate the planet with the same morally flawed humans that he just annihilated in a global flood. According to Genesis 6:6, he regretted creating human beings as well as every animal, every creature that creeps on the ground, and the birds of the air. Thus, he carried out his plan to annihilate humanity in a global flood, with the exception of devout Noah and his family (Genesis 6:7-8).

In accordance with what the Bible states, it is my opinion that God was morally depraved (sinful, evil, sadistic) to first create Adam and Eve knowing that they would disobey him and that he would punish them for their disobedience; second, he punished and cursed Satan (the serpent), despite using Satan to carry out his nefarious plan to tempt Adam and Eve into disobeying him; third, punish and curse the rest of humanity with a sinful nature because of Adam and Eve's disobedience against him, despite the fact that the rest of humanity had nothing to do with it; and finally, he brutally tortured and killed his own son to "redeem" humanity for behaving exactly the way he knew they would behave before he created Adam and Eve. I think that is truly evil (Isaiah 45:7).

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
The first sin was Satan's (disguised as the serpent) lie to Eve about death and wisdom.

1Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”​
2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”​
4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”​

Genesis 3:1-5
I have to wonder why God is immune from sin when he created evil and Satan to deceive A&E. A&E didn't have the cognitive tools to understand that they were being deceived, and God knew this. To my mind A&E didn't commit a sin, or even a mistake. It was a set up that they were taken advantage of, and God knew it from the start.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
There seems to be a lot of varying answers on this so I was curious what people here think it would be.
No one really knows as historical records for humanity only go back a few thousand years. I do like the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden along with other stories in Genesis. Although I don't take the stories literally they help us understand the our relationship to God.

F1fan

Veteran Member
A transgression against divine law in the eyes of God.
... and then interpreted by fallible men who claim to represent God in His absense.

Of course if we are answering what the first sin was, a trangression of divine law has to be a deliberate act, not some act that was coerced. If divine law is to have any credibility it has to apply to the lawgiver as well. So could the first sin be on God? I suggest it is.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There seems to be a lot of varying answers on this so I was curious what people here think it would be.

What was the first sin ever committed ?​

1) Who dares to pretend to know what God thinks? You must have asked God to know for sure

2) Who dares to impose on God that God is judgmental? God judging God's creation, humans, to be sinners. What does that make God ... a sinner too, I guess?

Pretending to know God that well, knowing God's mind and thoughts, seems blasphemy to me.

Reading books (Bible or other Scriptures) is just what it is, bookish knowledge, definitely insufficient to answer questions like "how God thinks".

This pretentious claiming "I know God's mind" blows my mind

Google gave on sin:
1) An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
2) "a sin in the eyes of God"

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A transgression against divine law in the eyes of God.
What divine law? Which god?

Just look at the God of the bible, for example. [He] orders massacres of surrendered populations, mass rape of virgins, human sacrifice to [him], rules for slavery, subjugation of women, murderous religious intolerance, and more.

For instance, given an omnipotent, benevolent god, why on earth was Jesus sent on a suicide mission with the aim of dying horribly? What was it meant to achieve? How could it possibly be necessary? How could it possibly be so inefficient that it's taken thousands of years for Christianity to be known around the world, as simply one of the world's religions, associated with colonial exploitation and compulsory conversions? The cruelty of the central idea is as morbid as the performance in the field is savage.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
What divine law? Which god?

Just look at the God of the bible, for example. [He] orders massacres of surrendered populations, mass rape of virgins, human sacrifice to [him], rules for slavery, subjugation of women, murderous religious intolerance, and more.

For instance, given an omnipotent, benevolent god, why on earth was Jesus sent on a suicide mission with the aim of dying horribly? What was it meant to achieve? How could it possibly be necessary? How could it possibly be so inefficient that it's taken thousands of years for Christianity to be known around the world, as simply one of the world's religions, associated with colonial exploitation and compulsory conversions? The cruelty of the central idea is as morbid as the performance in the field is savage.

Well said, in my opinion. I agree with you, and I agree with Richard Dawkins when he stated, "The god of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Do you agree or disagree with Dawkins?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Weird story I heard,

The original sin was sex. Eve first had sex with the serpent and liked it. She then convinced Adam to have sex. That's why when God showed up they both hid their bodies because of their shame of having sex.

Also, Cain the first born was born of the serpent. Son of the devil. So when Jesus said to the Jews who would have him killed he is referring to Cain
"He was a murderer from the beginning" as their father.
I "thought" I had heard them all. LOL