• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What test?

Occasionally I hear theists say that life is a test. What are we being tested for exactly? Where did this test idea even originate from? What could god possibly be testing us for that requires the amount of suffering that occurs on this earth daily? Also, if this is a test shouldn't everyone get a fair chance at passing it? What about children who die? Do they get an automatic pass on the test? If so, wouldn't killing children and giving them an instant pass to heaven be the proper thing to do? I'm sorry but the "life's a test" theory just doesn't make any sense to me.

Vultar

Occasionally I hear theists say that life is a test. What are we being tested for exactly? Where did this test idea even originate from? What could god possibly be testing us for that requires the amount of suffering that occurs on this earth daily? Also, if this is a test shouldn't everyone get a fair chance at passing it? What about children who die? Do they get an automatic pass on the test? If so, wouldn't killing children and giving them an instant pass to heaven be the proper thing to do? I'm sorry but the "life's a test" theory just doesn't make any sense to me.

It shouldn't make sense as it is just another tool of the Theists to try to scare and control people for their own gain (churches have lots of money from doing this).

As for children dying, they pretty much reincarnate immediately as they don't have enough power or knowledge to spend much time in the afterlife.

Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to believe what I write.... I'm just a messenger.... :D

idav

Being
Premium Member
If only a Child had the choice, or the millions that haven't had the choice whether to squander it or not.

In most the animal kingdom just surviving is a daily challenge. Humans are the most fit to survive in extreme conditions. Stopping life from procreating at will is problematic.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
In most the animal kingdom just surviving is a daily challenge. Humans are the most fit to survive in extreme conditions. Stopping life from procreating at will is problematic.

Life as a test lesson or gift is problematic for me considering the result of the test lesson or gift are already known to you know who.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think the "life is a test" saying is specific to theism. When I've encountered this idea, it's usually been presented as an idea devoid of any religious context. I view it the same way I view any oversimplified phrase about the nature of life and existence: woefully inadequate.

"Life is a test."
"Life is like a box of chocolates."

And so on. All oversimplifications. Or, just pick your motto and run with it. That's what we all do eventually anyway, yes?

cablescavenger

Not everyone can make his tea!

rusra02

Premium Member

"When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone." (James 1:12,13) These words from the Bible show that God does not bring calamities to test people. However, the Bible does say that Satan raised the issue of man's integrity to God, claiming that if a man suffered, he would abandon God." (Job 1,2) This wicked spirit Satan is responsible for the terrible suffering that continues to our day. Happily, Satan's time to misrule the earth is nearly up, and soon God will remove this wicked one and all who follow him, bringing a permanent end to suffering. (Hebrews 2:14, Revelation 20:7-10,14, Revelation 21:1-4)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I don't think the "life is a test" saying is specific to theism. When I've encountered this idea, it's usually been presented as an idea devoid of any religious context. I view it the same way I view any oversimplified phrase about the nature of life and existence: woefully inadequate.

"Life is a test."
"Life is like a box of chocolates."

And so on. All oversimplifications. Or, just pick your motto and run with it. That's what we all do eventually anyway, yes?

When i've encountered the idea of "life is a test" i'm afraid it usually comes from a follower of Christianity or Islam,i don't see "life is a box of chocolates" which it certainly can be for the likes of slick Dick Cheney but i cannot see it in the same context as "life is a test".

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Why ask myself,i'm not a supposed God,i don't expect people or Children to take part in a bizarre test where the result is already known and that for many involves suffering.

About what?

Simply telling you would be counterproductive.. Not too much is understood with one conversation, otherwise I'd be an expert in quite a few things.. And quite rich. It takes a bit of Christian/Bible foreknowledge to understand. Genesis.. specifically the Garden events and the Gospels can help. A lot of cross-referencing and piecing together.

If you really want to understand your questions about Christianity, it takes time. You're actually going to have to immerse yourself. How valuable is the answer, to you?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When i've encountered the idea of "life is a test" i'm afraid it usually comes from a follower of Christianity or Islam,i don't see "life is a box of chocolates" which it certainly can be for the likes of slick Dick Cheney but i cannot see it in the same context as "life is a test".

Guess it just depends on what you're exposed to. I left organized religion at a young age, so that's probably why I wouldn't be hearing it from Abrahamics. Where I live, religion doesn't tend to get discussed unless you participate directly in religious groups.