• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes somebody atheist and not a theist?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Definitely agree.

This is really just a smallish subset of people who are working with a particular brand of bible literalism.
Majority of theists are certainly not YECs, and even within Christian and Jewish traditions (which tends to be where they reside) I don't come across many, personally.

Can't speak for @Audie though, we don't always align on these things. But I'm an atheist...definitely not an anti-theist.
So are you an atheist or an Atheist?

Audie

Veteran Member
Apparently the ability to have arrogant and blinkered thoughts.
Probably not.
Creationists are like that though they display no
evidence of thought.
Putting out n paste nonsense from dishonest sources
might be the opposite of thought.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Arrogance, mostly.

Atheists think that if any gods exist, they would know of it. They don't know, so they assume gods don't exist.

Attachments

• irony-meter.gif
    irony-meter.gif
    596.7 KB · Views: 35

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Read again. Small "a" atheism is not a philosophy, it isn't even a position.
OK I read your post again, I see nothing different. Imo, a newborn baby is not (and cannot be at that time) an atheist (or an Atheist). It has made no evaluation, it has not been persuaded, it has not been indoctrinated...
I certainly consider A/atheism to be a position; it is a position (denoted by the a- ) in regard to a specific idea. And so obviously - for me - the idea that a rock or a stone is atheistic is frankly ridiculous. On that basis, all the matter in the universe (except that currently constituting theists) is atheistic.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
OK I read your post again, I see nothing different. Imo, a newborn baby is not (and cannot be at that time) an atheist (or an Atheist). It has made no evaluation, it has not been persuaded, it has not been indoctrinated...
I certainly consider A/atheism to be a position; it is a position (denoted by the a- ) in regard to a specific idea. And so obviously - for me - the idea that a rock or a stone is atheistic is frankly ridiculous. On that basis, all the matter in the universe (except that currently constituting theists) is atheistic.
To be an atheist one has to have at least the ability to reason. Now using that a baby may not be an atheist because reasoning is beyond it.. And since the ability to reason is an emergent process as we grow it is hard to say when a person can first reason, but it is likely before they can talk. So by that standard at that point a baby would be an atheist. Though perhaps one could argue that adults and especially their parents would be "god" to them. But perhaps the argument should just be dropped.