• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your Belief? A statistic for RF

Which choice do you identify yourself the most?

• I am an Atheists

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I am an agnostic

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I believe in a Revealed Religion (Abrahamic or non-Abrahamic)

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • I believe in a Non-revealed Religion

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I don't know yet. Not sure what I believe.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I believe in a God, but do not believe in any Religion.

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But Hinduism isn't revealed, according to other definitions on this thread. Perhaps that is what you want to debate? I'll try that since you have yet to indicate what the debate is about.

According to the other definition, revealed religions are those with prophets. Since Hinduism doesn't have prophets, it is therefore not a revealed religion. I voted non-revealed. It's a direct communion with Siva, with no intermediary.
Where did these scriptures comes from?

The Vedas, the Upanishads, the Purānas, the Mahābhārata, the Rāmāyana, and the Āgamas?

Regards Tony

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, what I meant by "Revealed Religion", are those people who believe their Religion originated from a divine source, and they worship a God or gods, And, they consider their Religion "Holy", meaning, there is a sense of Holiness in their Faith.
From what you know, are some Hindus fall into this category?
No.

Moving on...

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Contemplation and Self-inquiry.
Thus revealed from that contemplation and self enquiry?

In the end, there is no escaping that they are revealed, no matter the source. It would be much easier to find the common ground.

Much more logical and easier to admit those scriptures were revealed, the source is the only thing in question and since the person you said revealed them had disciples and was a revered rishis, that lends credence that he considered them spiritual guidance.

"In Indian religions, a rishi (Sanskrit: ऋषि IAST: ṛṣi) is an accomplished and enlightened person. They find mentions in various Vedic texts. Rishis are believed to have composed hymns of the Vedas. The Post-Vedic tradition of Hinduism regards the rishis as "great yogis" or "sages" who after intense meditation (tapas) realized the supreme truth and eternal knowledge, which they composed into hymns.[1] The term appears in Pali literature as Ishi; in Buddhism they can be either Buddhas, Paccekabuddhas, Arahats or a monk of high rank."

Links here.

That is definitely a description of revealed scriptures.

Regards Tony

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Thus revealed from that contemplation and self enquiry?

In the end, there is no escaping that they are revealed, no matter the source. It would be much easier to find the common ground.

Much more logical and easier to admit those scriptures were revealed, the source is the only thing in question and since the person you said revealed them had disciples and was a revered rishis, that lends credence that he considered them spiritual guidance.

"In Indian religions, a rishi (Sanskrit: ऋषि IAST: ṛṣi) is an accomplished and enlightened person. They find mentions in various Vedic texts. Rishis are believed to have composed hymns of the Vedas. The Post-Vedic tradition of Hinduism regards the rishis as "great yogis" or "sages" who after intense meditation (tapas) realized the supreme truth and eternal knowledge, which they composed into hymns.[1] The term appears in Pali literature as Ishi; in Buddhism they can be either Buddhas, Paccekabuddhas, Arahats or a monk of high rank."

Links here.
You do see how you just moved the goal posts there, right?

Also, thank you for the link (that I already provided you in the previous post).

That is definitely a description of revealed scriptures.
Not as defined multiple times in this thread.

More than a couple of times in this thread, it has been stipulated that a revealed religion is a religion revealed by God or words of God.

By this definition, these are certainly not revealed scriptures.

As has been suggested to you and other Baha'i multiple times on this forum, if you want to know something about Hinduism or Hindu scripture, ask a Hindu instead of making stuff up as you go.

InvestigateTruth

You do see how you just moved the goal posts there, right?

Also, thank you for the link (that I already provided you in the previous post).

Not as defined multiple times in this thread.

More than a couple of times in this thread, it has been stipulated that a revealed religion is a religion revealed by God or words of God.

By this definition, these are certainly not revealed scriptures.

As has been suggested to you and other Baha'i multiple times on this forum, if you want to know something about Hinduism or Hindu scripture, ask a Hindu instead of making stuff up as you go.
Bhagavad Gita contains sayings of Krishna, who is believed to be a Manifestation of God. How can you then say, Hindu Scriptures do not have words of God?

"The Bhagavad Gita is set in a narrative framework of dialogue between the Pandava prince Arjuna and his charioteer guide Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu."

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Bhagavad Gita contains sayings of Krishna, who is believed to be a Manifestation of God. How can you then say, Hindu Scriptures do not have words of God?
You are misrepresenting what I said. I never said "Hindu scriptures do not have the words of God."

I'm not sure if this misrepresentation was intentional or if you just misread what I wrote. If it's the former, we can be done now. If it's the latter, go back and reread my posts.

Either way, I'll ask you to fix your error if you want this discussion to proceed.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But Hinduism isn't revealed, according to other definitions on this thread. Perhaps that is what you want to debate? I'll try that since you have yet to indicate what the debate is about.

According to the other definition, revealed religions are those with prophets. Since Hinduism doesn't have prophets, it is therefore not a revealed religion. I voted non-revealed. It's a direct communion with Siva, with no intermediary.
I agree. Hinduism (and all the Dharmic religions in general) are non revealed. They are more like mathematics. They eternally exist and can be directly grasped by a sufficiently prepared mind.

InvestigateTruth

You are misrepresenting what I said. I never said "Hindu scriptures do not have the words of God."

I'm not sure if this misrepresentation was intentional or if you just misread what I wrote. If it's the former, we can be done now. If it's the latter, go back and reread my posts.

Either way, I'll ask you to fix your error if you want this discussion to proceed.

If they contain the words of God, it means, they are revealed.
Notice that, Quran is the word of God. Torah is also the word of God. Gospels are also the word of God. And some Hindu Scriptures are the word of God.

Quran was revealed to Muhammad through an Angel. But Torah, the Holy Book of Jews, was not revealed through the Angel. It contains the conversation of God with Moses. Gospels, the Book of Christians are the conversations of Jesus with His disciples. This Book is also consideted a Revelation from God, even, it was just the conversations of Jesus.
Now tell me, why a Hindu scripture which contains the words of God, is not a revealed Book?

Perhaps, you don't believe it to be words of God. But if it is indeed words of God, then what?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
If they contain the words of God, it means, they are revealed.
Notice that, Quran is the word of God. Torah is also the word of God. Gospels are also the word of God. And some Hindu Scriptures are the word of God.

Quran was revealed to Muhammad through an Angel. But Torah, the Holy Book of Jews, was not revealed through the Angel. It contains the conversation of God with Moses. Gospels, the Book of Christians are the conversations of Jesus with His disciples. This Book is also consideted a Revelation from God, even, it was just the conversations of Jesus.
Now tell me, why a Hindu scripture which contains the words of God, is not a revealed Book?

Perhaps, you don't believe it to be words of God. But if it is indeed words of God, then what?
And now you resort to "word" games.

You know full well that "words of God" and "The Word of God" are not the same thing.

These weak and underhanded attempts to make Krishna out to be a messenger of the God of Abraham exhaust me.

I'm out.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
"Śrutis have been variously described as a revelation through anubhava (direct experience), or of primordial origins realized by ancient Rishis. In Hindu tradition, they have been referred to as apauruṣeya (not created by humans)." (Wiki)
They are non-revealed as we have defined "revealed" for the purpose of this thread as it pertains to a revealed religion.