• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Satanism?

Hello everyone! ^-^
Most people have no idea what a Satanist believes, and as a Satanist myself I'd be happy to correct that!

You see, the term "Satan" in Hebrew means "Adversary", "Opposition" or "To oppose" an idea.
This term pre-dates Christianity. Everyone is a Satan of something. For example: You could oppose the idea of Nazism so that would make you the Satan of Nazism. That would make you the Adversary of Nazi ideals. Does that make you good or evil for opposing Nazi ideals? Neither!!! The very idea of opposing something shouldn't be a bad thing. In fact most Christians I know are the Satan, the adversary, and opposes the very idea of satanism and those are the same people who are considered good people in our society today.

So why was "Satan" given a bad name? Well during the great christian movement, before the concept "The Devil" was even added, there where different people who believed in different religions, some where even atheist or agnostic at the time. These people oppose the christian ideals and had no reason to convert since most of them where satisfied with their own beliefs already. The great christian movement needed something to put fear on those who where leaving the church and a reason to convert more people to bring them to the church. So then the concept of a deity who was the adversary of god, who opposes god was needed. A deity with godlike powers but no where near as powerful as god who also had it's own place in the after life. The concept of hell where non-believers would go. What better name to give this deity than the name Satan which is the word that means "Adversary, Opposition or to oppose"? Thus name Satan was given and the concept of "The Devil" was born and later added to the Bible.

The Demonization of the word "Satan".
When the term Satan was demonized, anyone who opposes the christian beliefs where then considered Satan worshipers, those who discovered how to heal others through herbs without prayers where considered witches, and those who had autism, or schizophrenic where considered possessed by the devil. The Crusaders killed anyone who thought differently, believed differently and who where just different at the time of this movement. Many different religions and Gods from other religions where demonized too. These were dark times indeed and anyone non-christians where truly scared.

With that being said, in Satanism, a Satanist is the Satan, the adversary, the one who opposes all spiritual pipe dreams and embraces only the real world elements of life here on earth. There are no devil worshiping here. The Satan (Deity) from the Holy Bible is NOT the same Satan used from The Satanic Bible. These are 2 completely different beliefs and philosophy. Those who worship the christian Devil are actually Christians. In fact, Satanism does not demand worship, it demands study.

^-^ Hail Satan and Dark Blessings to all.
I'll make new topics regarding my beliefs in Satanism and I hope you all enjoy what I have to offer.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
So you're a LaVeyan Satanist.

Do you have evidence for these claims?:
So why was "Satan" given a bad name? Well during the great christian movement, before the concept "The Devil" was even added, there where different people who believed in different religions, some where even atheist or agnostic at the time. These people oppose the christian ideals and had no reason to convert since most of them where satisfied with their own beliefs already. The great christian movement needed something to put fear on those who where leaving the church and a reason to convert more people to bring them to the church. So then the concept of a deity who was the adversary of god, who opposes god was needed. A deity with godlike powers but no where near as powerful as god who also had it's own place in the after life. The concept of hell where non-believers would go. What better name to give this deity than the name Satan which is the word that means "Adversary, Opposition or to oppose"? Thus name Satan was given and the concept of "The Devil" was born and later added to the Bible.
The Crusaders killed anyone who thought differently, believed differently and who where just different at the time of this movement.
These were dark times indeed and anyone non-christians where truly scared.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello everyone! ^-^
Most people have no idea what a Satanist believes, and as a Satanist myself I'd be happy to correct that!

You see, the term "Satan" in Hebrew means "Adversary", "Opposition" or "To oppose" an idea.
This term pre-dates Christianity. Everyone is a Satan of something. For example: You could oppose the idea of Nazism so that would make you the Satan of Nazism. That would make you the Adversary of Nazi ideals. Does that make you good or evil for opposing Nazi ideals? Neither!!! The very idea of opposing something shouldn't be a bad thing. In fact most Christians I know are the Satan, the adversary, and opposes the very idea of satanism and those are the same people who are considered good people in our society today.

The Demonization of the word "Satan".
When the term Satan was demonized, anyone who opposes the christian beliefs where then considered Satan worshipers, those who discovered how to heal others through herbs without prayers where considered witches, and those who had autism, or schizophrenic where considered possessed by the devil. The Crusaders killed anyone who thought differently, believed differently and who where just different at the time of this movement. Many different religions and Gods from other religions where demonized too. These were dark times indeed and anyone non-christians where truly scared.

With that being said, in Satanism, a Satanist is the Satan, the adversary, the one who opposes all spiritual pipe dreams and embraces only the real world elements of life here on earth. There are no devil worshiping here. The Satan (Deity) from the Holy Bible is NOT the same Satan used from The Satanic Bible. These are 2 completely different beliefs and philosophy. Those who worship the christian Devil are actually Christians. In fact, Satanism does not demand worship, it demands study.

I'll make new topics regarding my beliefs in Satanism and I hope you all enjoy what I have to offer.

Basically a satanist is one who opposes the supernatural? One who opposes christianity?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Satanism is a philosophy of life, which encourages awareness of self, and freedom of mind and will.

Basically a satanist is one who opposes the supernatural? One who opposes christianity?

"The one who opposes the supernatural?" - yes.
"The one who opposes Christianity?" - Supernatural is NOT exclusive to Christianity. :)

Also this post is not to demonize Christianity, it's to explain the history of how the term "Satan" was once used and how it evolved and was demonized as a result later and how Satanism uses "Satan" in it's religious believes today. Also Christianity is not the only religion to name one of their deities as "Satan" either.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Not that I don't appreciate you signing up and immediately discounting entire wings of Satanism as Christianity, but I would keep on studying. Lavey is a very, very early starting point.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"The one who opposes the supernatural?" - yes.
"The one who opposes Christianity?" - Supernatural is NOT exclusive to Christianity. :)

Also this post is not to demonize Christianity, it's to explain the history of how the term "Satan" was once used and how it evolved and was demonized as a result later and how Satanism uses "Satan" in it's religious believes today. Also Christianity is not the only religion to name one of their deities as "Satan" either.

Why are satanist opposed to the supernatural? Do they believe it exists? If so, what about it--in and of itself---makes one a Satanist of it?

Why are satanist opposed to the supernatural? Do they believe it exists? If so, what about it--in and of itself---makes one a Satanist of it?

Let me re-phrase:
Satanism opposes the Idea and concept of the supernatural. Not the supernatural itself. You can't oppose something you don't believe exists.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Satanist is an atheist opposed to ideas of the supernatural and not just disbelief?

Interesting.
LaVeyan Satanists do. Not all Satanists do. There's tons of different types of Satanism. Even LaVeyan Satanists only really started pushing strict materialism as a dogma when Peter Gilmore took over after LaVey died.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
LaVeyan Satanists do. Not all Satanists do. There's tons of different types of Satanism. Even LaVeyan Satanists only really started pushing strict materialism as a dogma when Peter Gilmore took over after LaVey died.

This is a whole different ball park where I come from...Id have to research it more. Was looking at theistic satanist and differences between them and lucifarians. Interesting.

This is a whole different ball park where I come from...Id have to research it more. Was looking at theistic satanist and differences between them and lucifarians. Interesting.
There are different types of Satanism. Theistic and Atheistic however the Theistic Satanists dont worship Satan (Deity) of the Holy Bible. They don't worship Satan at all. They believe Satan as the (Deity) as a figure to follow while Atheistic Satanists like me uses Satan as a symbolic figure that represents our carnal nature.

The Devil Worshipers I was referring to are Christians who worship Satan (evil deity) from the christian bible which neither Theistic Satanist or Atheistic Satanist follow.

vaguelyhumanoid

Is Satan really an evil deity in the Christian Bible tho? There's probably about 5 or 6 Biblical figures commonly conflated as "the devil". Satan in the Hebrew Bible is an adversarial angel sent to tempt mortals and test their faith.

Yoshua

Hello everyone! ^-^

Hi Dreamy,

What is your idea about "Satan"? Who is he? Where did he come from?
How come that there are christian Devil that are Christians?
Why you used "Dark" in your blessing?

Thanks

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There are different types of Satanism. Theistic and Atheistic however the Theistic Satanists dont worship Satan (Deity) of the Holy Bible. They don't worship Satan at all. They believe Satan as the (Deity) as a figure to follow while Atheistic Satanists like me uses Satan as a symbolic figure that represents our carnal nature.

The Devil Worshipers I was referring to are Christians who worship Satan (evil deity) from the christian bible which neither Theistic Satanist or Atheistic Satanist follow.
Why don't you just say ''carnal nature', if your an atheist? Why complicate things by associating a fictional character in your religion, /that is non-fictional in other groups, etc., as well. Why use ''satan'' at all.

Hi Dreamy,

What is your idea about "Satan"? Who is he? Where did he come from?

How come that there are christian Devil that are Christians?

Why you used "Dark" in your blessing?

Thanks

Question 1:
I already explained the first question clearly on this post my friend.

Question 2:
Devil Worshipers who worship "Satan" from the Holy Bible are Christians, NOT Satanist. They are Christians because they worship the Devil in the Christian Bible which has nothing to do with the Satanic Bible or princibles.

Question 3:
Satanist believe in the Dark Forces of Nature. These forces do not Love you and do not Hate you. They do not discriminate. For example: "Fire" is a dark force of nature that's neither good or bad. If you touch the fire it will burn you so there for it's BAD... but if you use that same force of nature to cook meat it would make the meat healthy for you to eat which is GOOD... When I say "Dark Blessings" I'm actually wishing you all the best possible luck that nature can provide which is the opposite of just "Blessings" that would involve the super natural guiding you. ^-^ I hope this makes sense.

Yoshua

Question 2:
Devil Worshipers who worship "Satan" from the Holy Bible are Christians, NOT Satanist. They are Christians because they worship the Devil in the Christian Bible which has nothing to do with the Satanic Bible or princibles.
If you say Christians, do you mean the follower of Jesus Christ including His disciples who are devil worshipers?
Question 3:
Satanist believe in the Dark Forces of Nature. These forces do not Love you and do not Hate you. They do not discriminate. For example: "Fire" is a dark force of nature that's neither good or bad. If you touch the fire it will burn you so there for it's BAD... but if you use that same force of nature to cook meat it would make the meat healthy for you to eat which is GOOD... When I say "Dark Blessings" I'm actually wishing you all the best possible luck that nature can provide which is the opposite of just "Blessings" that would involve the super natural guiding you. ^-^ I hope this makes sense.
Got it!

Thanks

Why don't you just say ''carnal nature', if your an atheist? Why complicate things by associating a fictional character in your religion, /that is non-fictional in other groups, etc., as well. Why use ''satan'' at all.

Why not?
It's fitting and works with the philosophy.
You should check out the Satanic Bible if you're interested regarding what the philosophy entitles. ;)

If you say Christians, do you mean the follower of Jesus Christ including His disciples who are devil worshipers?

Got it!

Thanks

There are many different types of follower's of Jesus Christ.
Catholic, Christianity, Jehovah's Witnesses and many more that are not even tied to religion at all.

I'm not saying Christians who follow Jesus Christ are following the devil. I'm saying those who follow Satan in the christian bible are still Christians because they believe in the christian bible 100% and they follow the Satan from the Christian Bible which has nothing to do with the Satanic Bible or Satanic Philosophy of life. I hope this makes better sense ^-^

Kapalika

Premium Member
I would take what the OP says with a grain of salt as it is just one view.

To compare Satanism... there are two main branches; theistic and atheistic. Both are modern developments.

Wikipedia has some decent articles on it, and more objective than most Satanists can give you.

The new face of atheistic Satanism is quickly becoming The Satanic Temple: http://thesatanictemple.com/

If anyone is actually interested they got an FAQ.

As far as theistic Satanism, back in the day Diane Vera ran a site, it's now largely abandoned but still up: http://theisticsatanism.com/

On both ends there are all kinds of groups from the Sinagogue of Satan, to the SIN network, to a bunch of others I can't all recall right now. For some reason I can only really recall the far-right ones but I know there is a bunch of small ones I've come across in my time. But at the end of the day very few of them really matter in the scope of things.

At the end of the day, Satanism is really whatever the person makes of it. So while a description like the OP might fit them fine, it is by no means universal.

And no, Satanism isn't "opposing God". One can very much can be Satanic in a Hebrew sense and work with 'God'.

Last edited: