• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Right With Islam?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a lot more right with Islam than there is with its practitioners. Problem is, there are so many different interpretations of Islam, it's hard to tell what is actually accurate.

Discipline would be a benefit, but even that is subjective.

Clear as mud?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there are a lot of things that Islam gets right, so I will list these off the top of my head. Just a disclaimer that I might be missing some, although this list definitely contains salient ones.

• Its emphasis on respect and mercy toward one's parents:

Qur'an 17:23 said:
And your Lord has decreed that you not worship except Him, and to parents, good treatment. Whether one or both of them reach old age [while] with you, say not to them [so much as], "uff," and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word.

Qur'an 17:24 said:
And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say, "My Lord, have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when I was] small."

• Its emphasis on solidarity with one's fellow believers and unity with them, as well as shunning the bullying and mockery of others:

Qur'an 49:10 said:
The believers are but brothers, so make settlement between your brothers. And fear Allah that you may receive mercy.

Qur'an 49:11 said:
O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one's] faith. And whoever does not repent - then it is those who are the wrongdoers.

• Its emphasis on charity, even toward captives:

Qur'an 76:5 said:
Indeed, the righteous will drink from a cup [of wine] whose mixture is of Kafur,

Qur'an 76:6 said:
A spring of which the [righteous] servants of Allah will drink; they will make it gush forth in force [and abundance].

Qur'an 76:7 said:
They [are those who] fulfill [their] vows and fear a Day whose evil will be widespread.

Qur'an 76:8 said:
And they give food in spite of love for it to the needy, the orphan, and the captive,

Source of the above Qur'anic translations.

• Its view of morality as objective rather than subjective. I think moral universalism and moral relativism are mistaken on more than one level, so, while I disagree with Islamic morality overall, I agree with the Islamic view that morality is objective.

• Its linguistic value that it brings through the Qur'an. In my opinion, this is definitely Islam's greatest extant contribution to human civilization. The Qur'an is the primary reference for the rules of the Arabic language as well as literary and poetic standards thereof, even fourteen centuries after its writing.

Of course, the values I mentioned above aren't exclusive to Islam, but I don't think that means Islam doesn't get them right. If I said charity, kindness, mercy, etc., were valuable to any community, I wouldn't be wrong, even though I wouldn't be the first person to say so. This, coupled with the powerful potential religious belief has when it comes to inspiring people to act in certain ways, makes Islam's emphasis on and promotion of the above values rather significant.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Which version though? I think the version that was practiced several centuries ago puts the current version to shame.

I agree, although I think both are problematic in different ways (assuming you're talking about the version that was practiced during the Islamic Golden Age).

There is a lot of potential for Islam to inspire a progressive society, but that would require radically different interpretations thereof than the ones there are now. The seeds are already there, in my opinion, especially in the verses I posted earlier.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Islam's major accomplishments are cultural ones. And under the right circumstances(see the Islamic Golden Age) it's very pro-science. While the Christians were busy murdering one another over who daddy loved more, the Muslims were naming & charting the course of the stars & planets, inventing modern math and building upon the glory of Roman achievements.

That last bit is something the Christians never thought to do until much, much later despite literally ****ing sitting on 99% of it.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
The art and the passion. I'm a sucker for art (paintings, statues, architecture, music) created with deep religious passion. Even though I probably don't follow the religion it came from, and in some cases actively dislike the teachings the art emerged from, there is just something about religious art worldwide that puts me in awe, Islamic art is no exception to this.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is Right With Islam?

Pretty good question, and definitely one that deserves clear answers.

I think Ahmadiyyas correctly realize that faithfulness to Islam is no reason to be predisposed against people of other faiths or nationalities. It is a very difficult situation to be in, one that takes the most rare form of courage.

Bahais, who are quasi-Muslims far as I am concerned, take it a small but significant step further by tentatively letting go of the insistence on strict Monotheism as well. Even more significant in my eyes is that Bahais are almost as enamoured of nationalism as I am - which is to say, not very much at all. Unfortunately, that is not a trait shared by Islam proper.

More generally, and definitely including the previous two groups, Islam has a very clear set of healthy directives regarding social responsibility, fraternity, family values, hospitality, veracity and a generally well-meaning if flawed conception of honor.

Laika

Premium Member
Serious question. I see so many threads critical of Islam. I'm curious what people think Islam gets right?

I've heard the Qu'ran in its original arabic is very beautiful. I trust the video is accurate (as I can't speak arabic)

...And Islamic art is often stunning for its use of colour, shapes and geometry to avoid idolatrous images.

IMG_2783.jpg

In terms of its history, there is the Islamic Golden Age with its advances in Science as others have already mentioned, (with the invention of "zero" and the arabic numbers we use today replacing Roman numerals) as well as a long history of religious tolerance in the Ottoman empire (for People of the book at least compared to medieval europe).

Whilst perhaps not ideal for getting past its image as violent and war-like, as a westerner I owe Islam in so far as if the Ottoman Empire hadn't conquered Constantinople in 1453, Byzantine scholars would not have fled and taken with them many key texts of Classical learning such as Plato and Aristotle which made the italian and european Renaissance possible or at least delayed it for years or decades, etc.

But as for the "soul" or "essence" of Islam as a religious and spiritual tradition, I admitt my ignorance on it is considerable.

Shrew

If my information is correct, Islam forbids to charge interests when lending money (Sharia compliant banking).
If this is true it is in my opinion very good.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
1- Leniency/allowance when necessity presents itself, even with the most strict rules. Muslims are allowed to even declare they are not Muslim if it is what it takes to save their (and not exclusively) lives.

2- Islam absolutely forbids having more than one wife if justice cannot be given to more than one wife.

3- Hitting on the face is absolutely forbidden in Islam. The face is the facade of people and it is how people are initially presented to others. It is sacred.

4- Asking refuge even from a sworn enemy obliges Muslims to provide refuge, if that request is in place.

5- Islam is heavily family based. Parents, for example, are obliged by the Islamic rules to provide to their children.

6- In state of war, it is forbidden to harm children, women, old people and and all those with handicaps who cannot fight on the opposing side. It is also forbidden to destroy the surroundings, including cutting down trees.

7- Islam strictly orders to return trusts; e.g. loans, to its rightful owners. This includes rights, like alms and living expenses of the family.

8- Waging wars is ordered against only those who start waging wars against Muslims. And when this happens, it is ordered to be done without transgression.

9- Swindling and cheating are strictly forbidden.

10- Islam orders to be nice to non Muslims who do not wish Muslims harm, no matter what their beliefs are.

11- Islam orders to answer back greetings with an equal or better greeting, whether it is with Muslims or non Muslims.

12- Raising voice over others (yelling or unfriendly high voice) is against the Islamic teachings.

There's so much to say about Islam in this regard. People could argue that it could be said with every single other ways of life, but the thing is that Islam directly teaches about it, and it credits those who practice it. It approves of it.

If my information is correct, Islam forbids to charge interests when lending money (Sharia compliant banking).
If this is true it is in my opinion very good.

It is true.

Anything Islam does get right doesn't need Islam to get it right.

I don't mean to disagree with you by this, I just wanna discuss that if so, then you also mean it applies with every single other belief/religion/way of life/law else?

An example case scenario:
What is the validity of the following statement "anything U.S. amendments do get right, does not need those amendments to get it right" in your opinion? Is it good to remove those amendments based on that logic? How can we expect life would be in USA then?

You're input is highly appreciated.

Last edited: