• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is faith worth?

As a nonbeliever why should I recognize or respect someones beliefs that are solely based on faith? How is a child's faith in the tooth fairy different from an adults faith in their religion? In my view the child and adult have the some amount of credibility.

idav

Being
Premium Member
As a nonbeliever why should I recognize or respect someones beliefs that are solely based on faith? How is a child's faith in the tooth fairy different from an adults faith in their religion? In my view the child and adult have the some amount of credibility.

To the child the tooth fairy is worth some coinage under the pillow. :)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Does believing in the tooth fairy make you lose respect for a child?

Does believing in the tooth fairy make you lose respect for a child?

I child believing in the tooth fairy has physical evidence ($$$) to back their beliefs, so no.

It is strange how some children are raised with stories about Jesus, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and the Tooth Fairy but give up belief in all but Jesus. All of them are supernatural/magical beings. What logical arguement can really make one of them more plausible than another? What if a child's parents told them Jesus was a make belief being like Santa and the Easter Bunny?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Faith in God is different than belief in tooth fairies

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The way I see it, this question is no different than asking "why should I respect people?" I honestly hope that the answer to this question is so painfully obvious that I don't need to spell it out for others.

Straw Dog

I don't plan on lying to my kids about Santa and the Easter Bunny. They'll probably be the ones to create chaos at school by letting the Bunny out of the bag. Good times...

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Faith in god according to most religions means abiding by miracles and being given wonders of his creation.
God made the world that is most theists evidence, the tooth fairies takes teeth yet we can prove no tooth fairy takes teeth. But you cannot prove that god did not do this or that.
So technically most religions are not faith. They have evidence but it is only subjective or unproven.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I don't care if you don't recognize or respect my beliefs- it's no skin off my back.
If you think it is the same as believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy, then who am I to question it?
But, in my view, my faith has a lot more to it than my belief in Santa when I was five years old. I don't really feel a need to get into it, though. :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

children are tricked into believing in the tooth fairy by their parents and their childrens books and their cartoons....they soon grow out of such beliefs

faith in God is built on a foundation of knowledge based on the history of the nation of Israel. Isreals history if verifiable, stories on the toothfairy are not.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm a nonbeliever too...I'll have a crack at these from a slightly different perspective, but I'll do it in reverse order because...erm...I'm from the Southern Hemisphere (after all, our toilets flush in the reverse direction)

A child trusts it's parents, and it is generally the parent telling the kids about Santa, etc. The belief is rewarded with physical evidence in the form of presents. As the child gets older, they begin to question the belief. This might be because 'Little Johnny' said it is not real, or they work out that rabbit footprints aren't really made of talcum powder, or mum forgets to take off the pricetag from the toys she has always said the elves make, or...whatever...

At that point, the parent generally spills the beans (even if there are a couple of years of doubt between the initial doubt and the confirmation of the lie). Can you really compare that process to religion?

What you are saying with religion is that you see it as a falsity, much like Santa. Only there are plenty of people who truly believe. I, like you, don't believe in God. I don't for a moment think that everyone who does is lying about that belief.

So, to try and tie religion and Santa together (which is kinda a stretch, but here I go) imagine now you are a kid believing in Santa. It's not just you who believe in Santa. Your parents do to. And your aunts and uncles. A whole LOT of people believe in Santa. They really, truly believe. And, from what you can tell, that belief encourages them to be good all year round, 'cos they don't want to end up on the naughty list.

So, sure, you get some doubts. But it wouldn't be from the price tags on the toys, would it? And you parents aren't about to come clean and say 'Ya know what? It was us all along...we just invented the Catholic Church for a bit of fun'.

Unlike Santa, belief in God, and by extension following a religion is a much more personal choice. People can claim to 'know' whatever they want, but no-one can take you to mums cupboard and show you the toys waiting for Xmas day. I'm an atheist because no-one is able to set a trap for Santa and catch him in the act. But....apart from in this thread where I am taking a lot of literary licence...I wouldn't compare the complexities of religion to belief in Santa in any serious fashion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So picture moment....your last breath...
And it all comes down to what you are sure of.

Faith by definition requires no proving.
That's a good thing.
In that last moment it's too late to get up and go find 'proof'

Wanna know what you are really made of?

You'll find out.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The children in our society are exposed to/indoctrinated with trickery (on one hand) and absolutism (on the other).

They are not raised to experience the beauty and depth of mythos and/via esotericism.
(or should I say mythos brought to life... brought into being- reality... by means of the esoteric experience)

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The children in our society are exposed to/indoctrinated with trickery (on one hand) and absolutism (on the other).

They are not raised to experience the beauty and depth of mythos and/via esotericism.
(or should I say mythos brought to life... brought into being- reality... by means of the esoteric experience)

How can this help if they are brought into a fundamentalist home? Mostly it is Christian in America

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
How can this help if they are brought into a fundamentalist home? Mostly it is Christian in America

This is exactly what I am saying. It's a shame. Fundamentalism functions to snuff out the more playful and whimsical versions of reality that most children come so wonderfully equipt with. Playful esoteric exchanges with adults serve to develop nuance and maturity while bringing a more powerful and transcendent experience of life in light of mythos. You're not going to get that in literal/absolutist/doctrinal/fundamentalist homes. :( IMO these approaches miss the point/the benefit - and the 'magic'- entirely.

Last edited: