• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does everybody else of Hebrews 2:9?

Anne1

But we behold him who hath been made [a]a little lower than the angels, even Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that by the grace of God he should taste of death for every man.

Standard Catholic reading is that Jesus died to conquer death for every man.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Reading afore and after, I see verse 9 as a part of the whole. Jesus' journey, lives and deaths, IMO, was preparation for all to follow in rebirth from the dead. He showed how all humankind can live and die in humility, grace, and love, to their final resurrection in salvation.

15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

16For surely it is not the angels He helps, but the descendants of Abraham. 17For this reason He had to be made like His brothers in every way, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, in order to make atonementh for the sins of the people.
18Because He Himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted.

Ebionite

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Hebrews 2:9

It's about the inability to distinguish illusion from reality.

Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: [neither] let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against [them that are] quiet in the land.
Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, [and] said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen [it].
Psalms 35:19-21