• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about the blessing of same sex unions in the Episcopal Church?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone! I was just curious as to what my fellow Episcopalians and Anglicans feel about the blessing of same sex unions in the Episcopal Church? Personally, I applaud it. I think it is great that we as Christians can celebrate a loving relationship with an official ceremony for those who don't happen to be the same sexuality as us. I am not a lesbian but I am bisexual or at least bi-curious. I have a boyfriend though and we are in a monogamous relationship. I have never been with a woman in an intimate way before and I probably never will be. But still, I understand what it means to be attracted to another woman as I have been attracted to women in the past. I do not think that a person should be punished for what they can't help and I can tell you from experience that a person cannot help what sexual orientation they are.

God bless all of our brothers and sisters in Christ who just don't happen to be the same sexual orientation as us! :rainbow1:

Antiochian

Rationalist
I'm a gay guy, and one of my reasons for being attracted to Anglicanism is its tolerance, by and large, for gay people. I'm definitely all for same-sex civil marriage. It's just love, folks. :)

Wessexman

It is absurd. I've never seen it argued for in terms of traditional Christian or Anglican doctrine or theology or metaphysics. Such nonsense is one reason why the Anglican church is becoming a bigger and bigger joke.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It is absurd. I've never seen it argued for in terms of traditional Christian or Anglican doctrine or theology or metaphysics. Such nonsense is one reason why the Anglican church is becoming a bigger and bigger joke.
Some tradition is pants. We can take ourselves too seriously.
As Behan said - the foundation stone of our church was "the bollocks of King Henry the Eighth"
People are much more important than tradition or theology.

ZooGirl02

I'm a gay guy, and one of my reasons for being attracted to Anglicanism is its tolerance, by and large, for gay people. I'm definitely all for same-sex civil marriage. It's just love, folks. :)

I agree with you. I am not gay but I am also attracted to Anglicanism/Episcopalianism because of the tolerance found within this Church.

Well, I disagree that the Anglican Church is a joke. I mean, just because something is traditional doesn't necessarily make it right you know.

Bocaj2011

I am appalled by this development seeing as Paul states in 1st Corinthians 6:9-10 " Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
I am friends with a couple of gay people but I do not condone their lifestyle choices. I believe that Homosexuality is a sin just as all the other things Paul listed which keep people out of heaven. I myself am not perfect and have violated at least two of these but asking forgiveness and making a attempt at changing the way to go rather than assimilating sin into our church and furthering the grip of sin in society.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I am appalled by this development seeing as Paul states in 1st Corinthians 6:9-10 " Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
I am friends with a couple of gay people but I do not condone their lifestyle choices. I believe that Homosexuality is a sin just as all the other things Paul listed which keep people out of heaven. I myself am not perfect and have violated at least two of these but asking forgiveness and making a attempt at changing the way to go rather than assimilating sin into our church and furthering the grip of sin in society.

The most important things to do in the world are to get something to eat, something to drink and somebody to love you.

What about judge not lest ye be judged?

Bocaj2011

I assume you are meaning "judge not lest ye be judged for with what judgement you judge you shall be judged and for what measure you mete out it shall be measured unto you" which is found in Matthew 7 1-2. This passage doesn't say to never judge something it means to be careful when you make a judgement because you will be eventually be judged by the same standard. When a biblical principle is being broken the believer is commanded in 2 timothy 2 "preach the word be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Jesus mitigated many of the harsher, divisive directives. If we follow him, perhaps we should, as well.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Some tradition is pants. We can take ourselves too seriously.
As Behan said - the foundation stone of our church was "the bollocks of King Henry the Eighth"
People are much more important than tradition or theology.

Very well-said. Slavery was once a "tradition" in Christianity, too. And so was polygamy in the OT. Seriously, the way I see Christians treating gay people is why I left the church in the first place. It's disgusting and sickening, and belittles Christ and his message.

I don't believe churches should be forced to perform same sex marriages, but why they are so invested in preventing us from having secular marriage in the U.S. is beyond me--other than a need to control others by forcing their beliefs on people.

Antiochian

Rationalist

Ah, the exact meaning of the original text of this and other verses are debatable. I personally don't believe the Bible to be 100% perfect, but the product of imperfect men, and certainly not all of it is relevant to the world of today. Ahem... slavery?? I also don't get why so many Christians seem to emphasize Paul over Christ (Paulism??). Jesus Christ didn't say anything on the subject, so this was apparently not something that he thought much of, unlike, say, divorce.

Bigotry isn't a Christian value. (Or if it is, then I guess Christianity itself isn't the wonderful faith I used to think it was.)

I'm not Anglican, but I'm a fan of the way they respect the dignity of the GLBT members of their community.

And so was polygamy in the OT

Acceptance of even that form of marital relationship might not be such a bad idea.;)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
The Anglican Church of Canada is the first Christian church I've attended in 12 years.

I am not only a Christian. That is a lengthier explanation. I was raised a Methodist. Have been practicing Buddhism for the last 8 years, all the while doing extensive comparative religious reading. Went to a UU church for a couple of years regularly, still attending now and again when living in a town with one. I've worshiped with people of many many faiths. And have incorporated understandings and rituals into my own Practice. For instance. Washing in the style of Wadu before meditation is a time in which I take to develop intention for the sitting. Intention was something I actively formed when I sat for meditation before, but have found a wonderful expression for doing so, in Islam, for instance.... anyways :D

For me the ritual changes in form, but the reason I attend doesn't, generally speaking. The language of connection and allegories change, but, the Heart, to me, doesn't.

All this said.... The last place I suspected to be volunteering was a spiritual counselor at a RC-drop in centre, through an open Christian dogma, not proselytizing, only working where people are at.

But I was wrong... the last place I suspected to be was attending Anglican Mass.

But I was still wrong, even more 'last place' is that I've moved to a new town and I found an Anglican Church in my neighbourhood FIRST since it's closer than the UU church or a Buddhist Dharma centre.

So that makes 6 months of Worship with them, all the while, maintaining a regular Buddha-centric manner of exploring, looking, search and is the lens with which I peer at it All.

This new policy is good news to me, and certainly seems to fix into the Understanding I have of Love. Whether it's 'right or wrong' dogmatically, it has been a pleasure Spiritually for me.

That is a little long winded, but I also wanted to share my recent joy of taking communion and worshiping with my Anglican Brothers and Sisters.

:namaste
SageTree

Last edited: