• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
John Rawls - A Theory of Justice
Friedrich Engels - The Origin of the Family, Private Property, and the State
And to get to
John Locke - The Second Treatise of Government
Jon Stewart Mill - Utilitarianism on Liberty; Essay on Bentham
Vladimir Lenin - Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism
Vladimir Lenin - What is to be Done? Burning Questions of our Movement
(Hopefully Homeland Security and the NSA doesn't come knocking, lol!)

Baladas

An Págánach
John Rawls - A Theory of Justice
Friedrich Engels - The Origin of the Family, Private Property, and the State
And to get to
John Locke - The Second Treatise of Government
Jon Stewart Mill - Utilitarianism on Liberty; Essay on Bentham
Vladimir Lenin - Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism
Vladimir Lenin - What is to be Done? Burning Questions of our Movement
(Hopefully Homeland Security and the NSA doesn't come knocking, lol!)

They haven't come for me yet! lol

Baladas

An Págánach
Contemplative Druidry, by Dr. James Nichol and Philip Carr-Gomm
The Rainbow People of God, by Desmond Tutu
The Book of Master Lie, by Lieh Tzu
The Lunar Tao, by Deng Ming-Dao
My Spiritual Journey, by The Dalai Lama
The Conquest of Bread, by Peter Kropotkin

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I am reading my first Terry Pratchett book - The Carpet People. I am liking it :) I really want to read more this year

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk. If I wasn't familiar with Foucault I would be totally lost as to what is actually going on.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
7cWpzq.jpg

uybtfQ.jpg

KKIItN.jpg

Good read! "Suspicious Minds - Why We Believe Conspiracy Theories" by Rob Brotherton, 2015

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Crisis of Character, by Gary J. Byrne

Actually, I preordered both the Kindle and the Hard Copy edition which isn't even out until next Monday but is already #1 on Amazon. The book isn't even out yet, and it is already a best seller.

Bill Clinton uses the "n" word (plural), Hillary call the disabled "f"ing "retards", corruption galore, exposes Hillary's rampages against Jews and others, her violent outbursts (should she lose her right to own a gun?)... I will give a full review once it arrives in the mail, but everyone at work is excited and want to get their hands on it, me too! What horrible, corrupt, racist people these two are. I bet Bill is HIV positive and that is why he looks so haggarded these days like Hillary.

6a00d83451d3b569e201b8d1f296a0970c-pi

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Fight Club 2. I'm glad that it's picking up the story from the book rather than the movie. Not much to it though. I haven't been reading it long and I've already read half of it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Wow...I really didn't like Fight Club 2. It's not a novel, but easily the worst thing of Palahniuk's stories I've read. It doesn't even contain the socio-political-economic comentary that permeates the very soul of Palahniuk's works. It's pretty lame and weak, and for as great of a story that Fight Club is, I wish the sequel just would never have happened.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm reading Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel, it's quite fascinating. If anyone else has read it and would like to have a discussion about the book, PM me!

"Galileo's Daughter is a book by Dava Sobel. It is based on the surviving letters of Galileo Galilei's daughter, the nun Suor Maria Celeste, and explores the relationship between Galileo and his daughter. It was nominated for the 2000 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_Daughter

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I read that one a year or two ago. I thought it was an ok read, but I still find myself wondering how people can believe the things they do.
The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli (This is not at all what I had expected. Very Interesting.)
It has a few nasty bits, but it definitely does not live up to it's reputation of infamy. If anything, some of the things Machiavelli stressed are counter to what most people assume he wrote (and even the so-called "Machiavellian personality"). My copy is in the gorgeous hardback binding (that also comes with a slipcase) of The Art of War that includes The Prince and Frederick the Great's Instructions to his Generals.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I started reading Red Dragon with the intention of making through the entire Hannibal series, but it's such a slow and dull start.

Whateverist

I've had good luck with novels this summer. Discovered Elizabeth Strout when I fortunately spied a copy of "I Am Lucy Barton" on the new shelf at the library. Enjoyed it enough to buy a copy of "The Burgess Boys" by the same author to keep me company on a flight home from a wedding in New Orleans. For the same flight my wife bought a copy of "A Spool of Blue Thread" by Anne Tyler, a recommendation based on her liking the Accidental Tourist so much. Just finished that one myself yesterday. As a recent retiree I'm really loving having the freedom to read whatever I like.