• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unions want to be exempt from minimum wage requirements

esmith

Veteran Member
Let see if I have this straight. Unions were backers for increasing minimum wage for workers, but now they want to be exempt for these minimum wage requirements. Obviously something seems a little out of wack here. Just one excerpt from the article
Without leeway to pay a subminimum wage, he said, those companies could be outbid by nonunion shops that chose to ignore the new pay standards.

http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhall/la-me-union-exemption-20150726-story.html#page=1

dust1n

Zindīq
I tried to catch up there and got lost in the details. Why would a company be able to choose to ignore new pay standards?

dust1n

Zindīq
Good question. If it's the law it's the law. Me thinks someone has an agenda.

Well, that's what I'm curious about. First of all, the article that not all (it doesn't quantify it) unions ever attempted to get this exemption, in places like Portland, etc. But the guy in LA was stating that they apply for it because otherwise they will be able to compete with companies that don't actually follow the guidelines. And so another minimum wage effects the union, because they follow the union to a T, while other employers don't and can be cheaper. I'm wondering who these companies are and how they can be cheaper by being exempt themselves.