• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Ok, so God is all there is, and you are an expression of God. So when the natural man thinks of God, they think of God as being separate from themself. Iow, there is duality, there is God and there is the thinker of God. However the truly religious man does not think of God, but rather still their mind so that the personal 'I' does not arise and there is only God/divine spirit present, that is non-duality. Thinking is fine, but in religion practice thinking needs to be transcended so thoughts do not arise.
I believe IF God exists God is the 'Source' of all of existence as God is, and cannot be defined in terms of duality or non-duality. Concepts as thinking, non-thinking, intelligence are fallible human attributes, and cannot be used to define or specifically understand God.

Considering the nature of fallible humans the consideration a 'truly religious human' is a rather subjective egocentric claim.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
How does your view justify duality?
There is you and a thought about God,, you and God, that is duality!

In still mind meditation on God, it is realized that God is merely expressing itself, and the expression (you) is an indivisible aspect of God the expressor. This state is non-dual. The moment you think about it, there is division of God and you as the ego arises to self identify with the expression (body) rather than the expressor (God). This state is dualistic.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I believe IF God exists God is the 'Source' of all of existence as God is, and cannot be defined in terms of duality or non-duality. Concepts as thinking, non-thinking, intelligence are fallible human attributes, and cannot be used to define or specifically understand God.

Considering the nature of fallible humans the consideration a 'truly religious human' is a rather subjective egocentric claim.
It appears you are stuck in the dualistic mental mode and can't understand that if your mind is still and free from thought, there is no duality.

Iow, your dualistic mind can not now or ever realize non-duality. However, if you the creature are able to meditate and still the mind, the experience of non-duality will be realized as the creator and creature become one.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It appears you are stuck in the dualistic mental mode and can't understand that if your mind is still and free from thought, there is no duality.

Iow, your dualistic mind can not now or ever realize non-duality. However, if you the creature are able to meditate and still the mind, the experience of non-duality will be realized as the creator and creature become one.
I do not believe in dualism. I find no justification for dualism or non-dualism

From the universalist perspective one cannot be free from what does not exist,

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is you and a thought about God,, you and God, that is duality!
No it not duality. It is simply a thought about God
In still mind meditation on God, it is realized that God is merely expressing itself, and the expression (you) is an indivisible aspect of God the expressor. This state is non-dual. The moment you think about it, there is division of God and you as the ego arises to self identify with the expression (body) rather than the expressor (God). This state is dualistic.

I prefere meditation where no conclusions are made, simply nothingness is the result.

shunyata Do

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I do not believe in dualism. I find no justification for dualism or non-dualism

From the universalist perspective one cannot be free from what does not exist,
The very statement "I do not believe in dualism" is dualism. Belief of any kind is dualism, a believer and the belief believed.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No it not duality. It is simply a thought about God

I prefere meditation where no conclusions are made, simply nothingness is the result.

shunyata Do
A thought about God is one thing, and the thinker of the thought about God is another thing, that is duality.

Meditation where no conclusions are made, and simply nothingness is the result, is still mind meditation, ie., non-duality. Keep it up daily and in time, a spiritual transcendent mind state will surely arise.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
A thought about God is one thing, and the thinker of the thought about God is another thing, that is duality.

A thought about a chair, and the thinker of the thought about the chair is not another thing.

It is simply a thought bout a chair.
Meditation where no conclusions are made, and simply nothingness is the result, is still mind meditation, ie., non-duality. Keep it up daily and in time, a spiritual transcendent mind state will surely arise.

Then there is no duality or non-duality, nothing.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
A thought about a chair, and the thinker of the thought about the chair is not another thing.

It is simply a thought bout a chair.

Then there is no duality or non-duality, nothing.
You the thinker are not the chair you are thinking about, they are two different things, that is why this mindset is referred to as duality.

The degree of prerequisite understanding required to grok what has been explained a number of times apparently is still not sufficient. Nevertheless I wish you well in your endeavor to learn more about existence.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Romans 1:18-21 (with my emphases): "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. "
Many people see that things are getting worse in the world. Thanks for that scripture.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You the thinker are not the chair you are thinking about, they are two different things, that is why this mindset is referred to as duality.

The chair is simply the chair amd my thought of the chair simply remains the memory pf the chair nothing more.

Ajax

No, when you are in still mind meditation, the brain is not thinking, it may be in the theta brain wave state, or even delta, but the mediator is not asleep.
First you must learn to still your mind, until you are able to do that, any description of spiritual experience would not be recognized by you. And btw, it may take a couple of years or more to be able to realize the still mind state.
Again you avoid to explain how can one be certain that Spiritual discernment from God exists/intervenes and how does one know that spiritual discernment has actually happen to him.

Ajax

The very statement "I do not believe in dualism" is dualism. Belief of any kind is dualism, a believer and the belief believed.
Dualism is the belief that the human body and human mind are separate entities. But Descartes was wrong on this..and others. We now know that the mind is considered the "energy" of brain. There is no mind as such and neither there is soul.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Again you avoid to explain how can one be certain that Spiritual discernment from God exists/intervenes and how does one know that spiritual discernment has actually happen to him.
If the mind is still and free from thought, there is nothing present to the mind for which there is a concept, except perhaps concepts like 'samadhi', which doesn't help if you have never had the same or similar spiritual experience, which apparently you have not.
Do not worry about how to know if and when a spiritual experience has occurred, for you would have had to have been meditating regularly for years, so you will know when your mind begins to change when it opens up to the spiritual realms.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Dualism is the belief that the human body and human mind are separate entities. But Descartes was wrong on this..and others. We now know that the mind is considered the "energy" of brain. There is no mind as such and neither there is soul.
No, you do not understand what is being said to you wrt dualism.

Ajax

If the mind is still and free from thought, there is nothing present to the mind for which there is a concept, except perhaps concepts like 'samadhi', which doesn't help if you have never had the same or similar spiritual experience, which apparently you have not.
Do not worry about how to know if and when a spiritual experience has occurred, for you would have had to have been meditating regularly for years, so you will know when your mind begins to change when it opens up to the spiritual realms.
No, the brain and consequently its energy the mind, never stops thinking. Thoughts and mental processes are constantly occurring, even during sleep and even in unconscious states. However, some meditation and mindfulness practices aim to quiet the mind and reduce the constant stream of thoughts, but they can never stop thinking.
Have a good day.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 166
Out of curiosity: why would a 19th Century Persian, non-Christian religious leader write in the style of the KJV?

Edit: or is it the translator who did that?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No, the brain and consequently its energy the mind, never stops thinking. Thoughts and mental processes are constantly occurring, even during sleep and even in unconscious states. However, some meditation and mindfulness practices aim to quiet the mind and reduce the constant stream of thoughts, but they can never stop thinking.
Have a good day.
Thank you, you too.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity: why would a 19th Century Persian, non-Christian religious leader write in the style of the KJV?

Edit: or is it the translator who did that?
The Guardian of the Baha'i Faith, Shoghi Effendi, translated the Writings of Baha'u'llah.
He went to England to study English so He could better translate the Writings from Persian and Arabic into English.

From his studies Shoghi Effendi determined that King James English was the best form to portray Persian and Arabic to English speakers.

Apparently Persian and Arabic have a form of poetic prose that is hard to portray to English speakers. King James English must in a small way convey some of that poetic prose experienced by Persian and Arabic speakers.

Shoghi Effendi said that the future may see different translations.

I know that everyone does not like the KJ English, but I like it, although sometimes it is a little difficult to understand what He was saying..