• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UN Experts Express Alarm over "Credible Allegations" of Sexual Assault and Rape Targeting Palestinian Women and Committed by the IDF

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Multiple UN experts have expressed alarm over "credible allegations" of major human rights abuses targeting Palestinian women, including sexual assault and rape:

GENEVA (19 February 2024) – UN experts* today expressed alarm over credible allegations of egregious human rights violations to which Palestinian women and girls continue to be subjected in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Palestinian women and girls have reportedly been arbitrarily executed in Gaza, often together with family members, including their children, according to information received. “We are shocked by reports of the deliberate targeting and extrajudicial killing of Palestinian women and children in places where they sought refuge, or while fleeing. Some of them were reportedly holding white pieces of cloth when they were killed by the Israeli army or affiliated forces,” the experts said.

The experts expressed serious concern about the arbitrary detention of hundreds of Palestinian women and girls, including human rights defenders, journalists and humanitarian workers, in Gaza and the West Bank since 7 October. Many have reportedly been subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment, denied menstruation pads, food and medicine, and severely beaten. On at least one occasion, Palestinian women detained in Gaza were allegedly kept in a cage in the rain and cold, without food.

“We are particularly distressed by reports that Palestinian women and girls in detention have also been subjected to multiple forms of sexual assault, such as being stripped naked and searched by male Israeli army officers. At least two female Palestinian detainees were reportedly raped while others were reportedly threatened with rape and sexual violence,” the experts said. They also noted that photos of female detainees in degrading circumstances were also reportedly taken by the Israeli army and uploaded online.

The experts have called for an independent, prompt, and thorough investigation of the allegations:

They called for an independent, impartial, prompt, thorough and effective investigation into the allegations and for Israel to cooperate with such investigations.

“Taken together, these alleged acts may constitute grave violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, and amount to serious crimes under international criminal law that could be prosecuted under the Rome Statute,” the experts said. “Those responsible for these apparent crimes must be held accountable and victims and their families are entitled to full redress and justice,” they added.

The descriptions are absolutely sickening, and anyone found guilty or complicit needs to be sent to trial and maximally prosecuted for their actions.

Just like the allegations that Hamas militants sexually assaulted and raped Israeli women, I believe the only responsible and ethical way to address the above allegations against IDF members would be to conduct a thorough and independent investigation thereof. These allegations can't be ignored by any institution or country that claims to even remotely be humane and supportive of the rule of law.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The experts have called for an independent, prompt, and thorough investigation of the allegations:

The key word is allegations. These sort of "reports" have been made many times. Perhaps the best example, though there are many, is the story of Diaa al-Kahlout. "TheNewArab" reported that he was tortured daily, but the pictures when he was released show nothing which indicates he was mistreated. He doesn't even have bags under his eyes.

Here's a link to the story reporting the mistreatment: Diaa al-Kahlout speaks out on Israeli detention conditions
Here's a link showing his release. TNA Arabic reporter Diaa al-Kahlout released by Israel

Please notice the picture. He was released directly to a medical station where he is examined. There are no marks, no pictures, showing any sort of abuse. Palestinian propaganda makes the "reports" but they rarely show the actual mistreatment.

Screenshot from 2024-02-28 07-52-56.png

At least two female Palestinian detainees were reportedly raped while others were reportedly threatened with rape and sexual violence,” the experts said.

These are likely 2nd and 3rd hand reports: ".. I heard that they were raped ... "

They also noted that photos of female detainees in degrading circumstances were also reportedly taken by the Israeli army and uploaded online.

But the pictures are not provided... the UN is very likely propagating a hoax.

So, what exactly is credible about these reports?

Here are some "reports" of what the Palestinian soldiers did: live streaming their kidnapping and murder to the families and friends of their victims. Forcing hostages to watch video of their atrocities.

There's also the video posted by the Palestinian soldiers attempting to behead one of their victims with what we call in America a "garden hoe".

HamasBodyCamVideo_BluntGardenTool-ezgif.com-optimize.gif

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Debater Slayer ,

From the linked article:

"There are disturbing reports of at least one female infant forcibly transferred by the Israeli army into Israel, and of children being separated from their parents, whose whereabouts remain unknown,” they said.

This ^^ is a known hoax. It came from an call-in radio program. The audio of the call was posted on social media, but it was taken down. I can't remember the details, but, within a day, the claim had been debunked. I'll see if I can find the story on it. Notice the exaggeration: reports, plural. There is just one report amplified and repeated by social media.

But, the most important aspect of this is: this is an OLD STORY that the UN is recycling. It's an extremely dubious story from an unreliable source and has labeled it "credible".

The UN has shown repeatedly it cannot be trusted to accurately distinguish fact from fiction. They rushed to judgement against israel regarding the rocket fire on Al-Ahli hospital when the overwhelming evidence shows that the Palestinian soldiers misfired and bombed their own hospital.

Firenze

Premium Member
@Debater Slayer ,

From the linked article:

"There are disturbing reports of at least one female infant forcibly transferred by the Israeli army into Israel, and of children being separated from their parents, whose whereabouts remain unknown,” they said.

This ^^ is a known hoax. It came from an call-in radio program. The audio of the call was posted on social media, but it was taken down. I can't remember the details, but, within a day, the claim had been debunked. I'll see if I can find the story on it. Notice the exaggeration: reports, plural. There is just one report amplified and repeated by social media.

But, the most important aspect of this is: this is an OLD STORY that the UN is recycling. It's an extremely dubious story from an unreliable source and has labeled it "credible".

The UN has shown repeatedly it cannot be trusted to accurately distinguish fact from fiction. They rushed to judgement against israel regarding the rocket fire on Al-Ahli hospital when the overwhelming evidence shows that the Palestinian soldiers misfired and bombed their own hospital.
Just to be clear - you consider the claims of rape on both sides to just be allegations at this time?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Just to be clear - you consider the claims of rape on both sides to just be allegations at this time?
Just to be clear ,,,

This ^^ is a known hoax. It came from an call-in radio program. The audio of the call was posted on social media, but it was taken down. I can't remember the details, but, within a day, the claim had been debunked.

Where allegations are shown to be true, the perpetrators should be fully prosecuted.

Where allegations are shown to be a hoax, the deceit should be fully exposed.

Agreed?

Firenze

Premium Member
Just to be clear ,,,

Where allegations are shown to be true, the perpetrators should be fully prosecuted.

Agreed?
Yeah, I wasn’t asking you. But thanx for the input, I guess.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Multiple UN experts have expressed alarm over "credible allegations" of major human rights abuses targeting Palestinian women, including sexual assault and rape:

I find the UN to be an unreliable source of information, morals, and ethics. It's too bad really, they ought to do better.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
the allegations that Hamas militants sexually assaulted and raped Israeli women

released today: A comprehensive report of the evidence of systematic rape and torture by the Palestinian soldiers on Oct. 7th and the hostages in captivity.

^^ PDF Link ^^

About the source:
The Association of Rape Crisis Centers in Israel was founded in 1990 as an umbrella organization, bringing together nine rape crisis centers across the country, addressing around 50,000 calls each year. The organization operates as an agency for social change, complementing and relying on the individual work carried out at the centers. The ARCCI works to promote rights and services for survivors of sexual abuse, adopt preventive measures, and reduce the prevalence of the phenomenon in Israel. The various services provided by the rape crisis centers and the ARCCI are the result of over three decades of experience, creating a professional knowledge base regarding the characteristics and implications of sexual assault on survivors and society as a whole.​

Forcing hostages to watch video of their atrocities.

The report includes the descriptions of the evidence which suggests spouses and family members were forced to watch their loved ones being sexually assaulted. Those are *actual* credible reports of what Palestinian soldiers do. Not isolated cases. They occurred at every location where the Palestinian soldiers attacked.

@Debater Slayer ,

From the linked article:

This was widely reported in Arab "news" sources, but like I said, it's bogus. News is in quotes because they repeatedly spread propaganda. And many Palestinian journalists have been shown to be working for Hamas ( source available on request ).

A phone call was rec'd on 12/26 to an israeli radio program where the caller claims to be a friend of an IDF soldier who told him that he, the soldier, had "rescued" a Palestinian baby and brought it back to israel after its ( her? ) parents were both killed. The caller names the IDF soldier, however, that specific soldier had been deployed to Gaza and did not return with a Palestinian baby. He was seriously wounded in battle on 12/22 and died on 12/30. The event didn't happen, but the Arab "news" and social media amplified and propagated the story anyway. I think they even named the baby to make it seem more "credible".

There's very likely nothing to investigate. People make these sort of allegations while they are prisoners all the time. Researching them myself, what I've found is that the individuals who report them are not liars. When their allegations are examined they are rumors that they heard while incarcerated. Determining that requires finding the actual quotes, what was actually said. The UN is hearing someone talk about the allegations, but they are not getting the *actual* quotes first hand.

What the UN is receiving is very likely: "while I was detained there was a person who ... everyone knew about it..." But they're just stories that are told by the prisoners. Nothing more. The UN is not distinguishing between quantity and quality of reports. They are also not accustomed to the culture and storytelling that happens among the prisoners of any detention facility anywhere.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Agreed?

Agreed.

And the sources which propagate the hoax should be either ignored or considered suspect in the future, agreed? They would need to do the work of reestablishing their credibility?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The UN is a much more reliable source of info than the IDF, the IDF and a lot of the Israeli media lie about many things

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The UN is a much more reliable source of info than the IDF, the IDF and a lot of the Israeli media lie about everything

Hyperbolic rubbish. Bring an actual IDF or israeli media claim to discuss, otherwise, there is no reason take your post seriously.

PureX

Veteran Member
Why would anyone be surprised by this? If murdering civilians is deemed acceptable, then why not rape, too? Rape and murder go together like chocolate and peanut butter for horny young men with guns. The shock would be that anyone actually thought it wouldn't happen.

Firenze

Premium Member
released today: A comprehensive report of the evidence of systematic rape and torture by the Palestinian soldiers on Oct. 7th and the hostages in captivity.

^^ PDF Link ^^

About the source:
The Association of Rape Crisis Centers in Israel was founded in 1990 as an umbrella organization, bringing together nine rape crisis centers across the country, addressing around 50,000 calls each year. The organization operates as an agency for social change, complementing and relying on the individual work carried out at the centers. The ARCCI works to promote rights and services for survivors of sexual abuse, adopt preventive measures, and reduce the prevalence of the phenomenon in Israel. The various services provided by the rape crisis centers and the ARCCI are the result of over three decades of experience, creating a professional knowledge base regarding the characteristics and implications of sexual assault on survivors and society as a whole.​

The report includes the descriptions of the evidence which suggests spouses and family members were forced to watch their loved ones being sexually assaulted. Those are *actual* credible reports of what Palestinian soldiers do. Not isolated cases. They occurred at every location where the Palestinian soldiers attacked.

This was widely reported in Arab "news" sources, but like I said, it's bogus. News is in quotes because they repeatedly spread propaganda. And many Palestinian journalists have been shown to be working for Hamas ( source available on request ).

A phone call was rec'd on 12/26 to an israeli radio program where the caller claims to be a friend of an IDF soldier who told him that he, the soldier, had "rescued" a Palestinian baby and brought it back to israel after its ( her? ) parents were both killed. The caller names the IDF soldier, however, that specific soldier had been deployed to Gaza and did not return with a Palestinian baby. He was seriously wounded in battle on 12/22 and died on 12/30. The event didn't happen, but the Arab "news" and social media amplified and propagated the story anyway. I think they even named the baby to make it seem more "credible".

There's very likely nothing to investigate. People make these sort of allegations while they are prisoners all the time. Researching them myself, what I've found is that the individuals who report them are not liars. When their allegations are examined they are rumors that they heard while incarcerated. Determining that requires finding the actual quotes, what was actually said. The UN is hearing someone talk about the allegations, but they are not getting the *actual* quotes first hand.

What the UN is receiving is very likely: "while I was detained there was a person who ... everyone knew about it..." But they're just stories that are told by the prisoners. Nothing more. The UN is not distinguishing between quantity and quality of reports. They are also not accustomed to the culture and storytelling that happens among the prisoners of any detention facility anywhere.
So, IDF - never lies. Hamas - always lies. Got it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Just like the allegations that Hamas militants sexually assaulted and raped Israeli women, I believe the only responsible and ethical way to address the above allegations against IDF members would be to conduct a thorough and independent investigation thereof. These allegations can't be ignored by any institution or country that claims to even remotely be humane and supportive of the rule of law.

I 100% agree.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It looks like the UN allegations against the IDF are originating from one individual: Reem Alsalem. Alsalem did an interview with the israeli news outlet, Ynet’s Bar Shem-Ur, several days ago. I'm looking for a transcript of the interview because it's being reported that Ynet asked about the reasons for considering the reports credible.

Colt

The descriptions are absolutely sickening, and anyone found guilty or complicit needs to be sent to trial and maximally prosecuted for their actions.

Why is it difficult for me to believe that Jewish men would want to go into Gaza and have sex with Palestinian women but I don’t think twice about the claims that Hamas or Palestinian men would want to gang rape a Jewish women?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it difficult for me to believe that Jewish men would want to go into Gaza and have sex with Palestinian women but I don’t think twice about the claims that Hamas or Palestinian men would want to gang rape a Jewish women?

1) The report is about rape, not "having sex with." I notice you only changed the description about Palestinian women, and I find the rewording abominably irresponsible.

2) The report is also about Israeli soldiers, and the fact that most of them are Jewish has no relevance to the report. Don't try to bait and fish for controversy by trying to switch the subject to religion or ethnicity.

3) I also notice that you said "Hamas or Palestinian men." October 7 was carried out by Hamas. Palestinian men are like all men elsewhere: the vast majority don't attack anyone, despite the innuendo in your wording.

4) If it's so easy for you to believe a set of allegations but so difficult to believe the other before a thorough investigation has been conducted into either, it seems to me that this demonstrates preconceived notions and bias, which means you should approach the subject with more consideration for the human rights of both Israeli and Palestinian civilians instead of trying to turn the subject into a tribalistic sports game.