• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tying up loose ends on "odd Mormon beliefs"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This thread is specifically for the benefit of Thana, who asked some questions in a recently closed thread titled, "Odd Mormon Beliefs." Thana, I answered your first question before the thread was closed, but told you I'd get back to you this morning with answers to your other questions. When I went to do so, the thread had been closed. I asked Quintessence, who had closed it, what he would suggest I do about your unanswered questions. I wanted to be sure that it was okay with the staff that we continue our discussion. He advised me to go about it by starting a new thread. So, you asked the following:

Thana said:
Also all the prophets in the bible (As well as Jesus) were Jewish whilst Joseph Smith was not. So why would God change pattern for Him?
I would agree that the vast majority of the prophets mentioned in the Old Testament are Jewish. Balaam, whose story is told in Numbers 22, however, was not. While he was never considered a major prophet, the fact is that he was a prophet and was not Jewish. I would think that the Old Testament prophets were Jews is merely a reflection of the fact that the Old Testament is the religious history of the Jewish people. The Messiah was born of a Jewish woman and had a Jewish lineage. But Jesus Christ commanded His Apostles to preach His gospel to the gentiles as well as to the Jews. And certainly, if God can speak to a Jew, He can speak to a Christian. There is really no qualification that a person be Jewish in order to be chosen by God as a spokesperson. As to why God would change His pattern for Joseph Smith, I think a much, much more significant question is this: Why would God change His pattern of speaking to His children here on earth through a chosen prophet and suddenly, after guiding and directing mankind for 4000 years by means of a prophet, simply decide to leave us with a few ancient writings and stop talking to us entirely?

Thana said:
And a lot of depictions of Joseph Smith's meeting with God and Jesus has them as white, but as far as I'm aware they are not and would not have been.
These are merely depictions. They are artistic renderings made by human beings who tend to picture God looking the way they want Him to look. This has been the case for nearly 2000 years. All of the earliest Christian art shows Jesus as being a white man. Medieval art depicts Mary as being dressed as a medieval noblewoman, for Heaven's sake, and shows Christ as holding a golden scepter. I believe that Jesus probably looked pretty much like an average Middle-eastern man of His time period. They way He is depicted in general by either non-LDS or LDS Christian artists is immaterial in my opinion. Joseph Smith did describe Him as having a "brightness and glory [which] defy all description." If this was the case, and if the pillar of light surrounding Him was "above the brightness of the sun," His glory itself would have overshadowed any particular skin color.

Thana said:
Not to mention that anyone who has ever witnessed the divine fell prostrate/dead, So why didn't that happen to Joseph Smith?
Actually Joseph apparently did pass out as a result of his vision. He said, "When I came to myself again, I found myself lying on my back, looking into Heaven. When the light had departed, I had no strength." When he was finally able to get up and return to his home, his mother could tell that there was something very wrong. He seemed exhausted and was unable to stand without leaning against the fireplace. As to why he didn't die as a result of his vision, about all I can say (and I don't mean this to sound sarcastic) was that if God had allowed him to die, there really wouldn't have been much point to the whole experience at all. Wouldn't you agree?

Thana said:
And I know this might be a bit touchy, feel free not to answer if you like, but if the practices of polygamy and exclusion of black men from the priesthood were abandoned by the Church, wouldn't the very fact that they were ever practiced and accepted indicate that Mormonism is just as corrupted as any other denomination?
Well, it would certainly indicate that Mormon leaders aren't perfect. They mess up from time to time just like everybody else.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Thank you for answering all my questions :)

I think I understand your thinking, Although... the reason I brought up the corruption thing is because I kept reading how Mormonism is supposed to be uncorrupted, that the whole religion came about because of the corruption in Christianity.

I believe that the reason we were given the bible is so we can get the 'gist' of everything. And it even says itself it's meant to be a guide to help us recognize false prophets.
And as far as I can tell, nothing truly similar that happened in the bible happened to Joseph Smith. So me as your regular joe Christian, well I don't really know how you or anyone could trust the Mormon Doctrine. Sure, it's similar just like the Quran is similar but that as you should know doesn't really mean much. I mean you'll find plenty of Atheists all too happy to draw correlations between Christianity and Sumerian/Egyptian/Canaan beliefs.

I guess I'm just asking... why Mormonism?
The more I learn about it the less I feel like I understand it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thank you for answering all my questions :)
No problem. I'm glad you took the initiative to ask them.

I think I understand your thinking, Although... the reason I brought up the corruption thing is because I kept reading how Mormonism is supposed to be uncorrupted, that the whole religion came about because of the corruption in Christianity.
Yeah, I can see why'd you'd get that impression. See, here's the essential reason for the existence of Mormonism... We believe that, as part of His earthly ministry, Jesus Christ actually did establish a church. It could essentially be thought of a "The Church of Jesus Christ." We believe He ordained Apostles to oversee it and chose Peter to lead the Church here on earth (after His death, resurrection and ascension). We believe that despite the best efforts of the Apostles, men changed the teachings of the Church He had formed. Over the years, doctrines crept in that were different from those He had taught, and many of the truths He had taught began to be mixed with the philosophies of men. Eventually, God withdrew the authority He had given to Peter and the other Apostles, and the world was left with an imperfect form of Jesus' teachings, and no God-given authority to govern His Church. It remained in this state for many years, until He knew it was the time to restore it to the earth again. We believe that He called a young boy through whom to do His work. He revealed to him the truths that had been lost over the ages and gave him the authority Peter once held. People seem to be of the impression that we Mormons hold the rest of Christianity in contempt, which is really not the case. We believe that there is much good and much truth taught by other Christian denominations, and we definitely view their sincere believers as "true Christians." We simply see ourselves as the re-established Church of Jesus Christ -- in the latter-days, in other words, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Having said that, I feel it would be dishonest and arrogant of me to say that I believe Joseph Smith and those who succeeded him to be immune to making mistakes. Mormons do not see their leaders as infallible. We do look to them for guidance and direction, but we are counseled to always let the Holy Ghost direct our paths and to find out for ourselves what "truth" really is. Mormon leaders have made mistakes in the past and I'm sure they will continue to make them in the future. Still, I believe that Joseph Smith really was instrumental in bringing Christianity as it was taught in the first century back to the earth. He did so under God's direction and with God's guidance. That doesn't mean he was a perfect man. The only perfect man who has ever lived was Jesus Christ. The rest are just mere mortals trying to do their best.

I believe that the reason we were given the bible is so we can get the 'gist' of everything.
Yes, and I think it fulfills that purpose admirably. We Mormons study the Bible a lot. We trust its words and we believe them. But the Bible also says that Jesus Christ said and did so many things during his short lifetime that had they been recorded, they would more than fill all of the books in the world. When you look at the four gospels, and realize how much is repeated in two or three of the accounts, you have to stop and wonder how much of what Jesus taught actually didn't get recorded, or got recorded and then lost. Certainly, if He was with His disciples 10 or 12 hours a day for three years, the account we have of His teachings must be incomplete. His ministry was so important that I can't imagine that He wasted much time talking about the upcoming storm over the Sea of Galilee or the price of fish or where to find a new pair of sandals. He must have been teaching constantly. People back then, with very few exceptions, I think, really didn't realize how critical His words were. Most couldn't read or write anyway. It's quite a miracle that any of what He said and did got written down for posterity.

And it even says itself it's meant to be a guide to help us recognize false prophets.
That it does. And it cautions us to be on the lookout for false prophets. But nowhere does it imply that God would cease to send true prophets, or that any and all prophets should be considered to be "false prophets." In Ephesians, Paul very specifically states that Christ intended that prophets and apostles continue to lead His Church until all of His believers came into a unity of their faith. He said that without the organizational structure Christ had established, we'd be like children tossed about by every wind of doctrine and would not know what to believe. Seeing as there are over 30,000 different Christian denominations in the world today, it appears that what Paul said would happen without prophets and apostles actually did happen. The vast majority of these get their doctrines straight from the Bible, and yet even with the Bible as their shared source, they cannot seem to agree on what much of it means.

And as far as I can tell, nothing truly similar that happened in the bible happened to Joseph Smith.
I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, so I'm not going to respond at this time. If you'd like to elaborate on what you mean, I'd be happy to comment, though. I'll just leave it up to you.

So me as your regular joe Christian, well I don't really know how you or anyone could trust the Mormon Doctrine.
Again, I'm not sure exactly what it is you're saying. I'd need you to be a little more specific in order for me to really give you a satisfactory answer.

Sure, it's similar just like the Quran is similar but that as you should know doesn't really mean much.
Okay, but where do you find anything remotely resembling this in the Qur'an:

"And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end." (2 Nephi 31:19-21)

The Book of Mormon is 531 pages long. Jesus Christ is mentioned the first time on page 2 and the last time on page 531. Within its 531 pages, Jesus is referred to as the "Christ" 398 times. He is referred to as our "Redeemer" 41 times, as our "Savior" 12 times, as the "Messiah" 32 times, and as the "Son of God" 51 times. From the beginning to the end, He is spoken of as the only means by which we might be reconciled to our Father in Heaven and return to His presence. The book is about Jesus Christ. The Qur'an is not. The book stands as another testament, another witness of Jesus Christ's divinity. We believe it to have been inspired by the same God as inspired the Bible.

I guess I'm just asking... why Mormonism?
Well, there are a number of reasons. For starters, I was raised in a Mormon family. I'd have to say that my parents always encouraged me to think and to question, though, and I was never ever ever made to feel ashamed if I doubted something I heard taught in a church setting. Clearly, my Mormon upbringing has a great deal to do with why I'm a Mormon. I have been interested in comparative Christianity, though, since I was about 12 years old. I'm now 67, so that's been an interest of mine for a while now. ;) Even as a child, I liked to learn how my Mormon beliefs differed from the beliefs, for instance, of my Catholic friend. I really don't know all that many preteen kids who are interested in that kind of stuff. As a grew into an adult, my interest in Christianity as a whole also grew. I found myself on websites like this one (and I've been here nearly 12 years). I heard people say things about Mormonism that were very confusing to me. They'd say, "Mormons believe...[such and such]," and I'd think, "Well that's weird. I've been a Mormon for 40 or 50 or 60 years now and I've never heard that taught in a Mormon worship service or Sunday School class or anywhere else!" I'd start doing research and I'd learn where their misconceptions came from. I'd learn how what we really teach and believe was twisted by people who wanted my religion to sound crazy or abhorrent to others. I learned about some things that troubled me, too, and things that tested my faith and my commitment to Mormonism. But whenever I found something of this sort, I continued to research until I could resolve the issue in my mind.

So, at this point, I'd have to say that I am a Mormon because...

1. I was born and raised in the faith.
2. I have looked carefully at the beliefs of other Christian denominations and find that Mormon doctrine, when correctly understood, makes more sense to me than the doctrines of traditional Christianity. I find that the restored gospel answers the questions that are sometimes not quite fully explained in the Bible.
3. I honestly believe that the Church Jesus Christ established fell into a state of apostasy relatively shortly after His death, and that He had to be personally involved in its reestablishment.
4. I find that the restored gospel answers the questions that are sometimes not quite fully explained in the Bible.
5. I cannot imagine why God would speak to His children through prophets for 4000 years and then suddenly decide to stop. We believe a living prophet, personally called by God, leads the Church today.
6. I believe my religion has made me a better person than I would have otherwise been. It has definitely helped me be less critical of other religions, since I know what it is like to be the underdog.
7. I love the constant opportunities my religion gives me to serve my fellow men.
8. I love how it guides essentially every aspect of my life and is not a Sunday-only religion.
9. I love how it lifts me and makes me feel that God really does have something very, very special in mind for me. He has given me the potential to become perfect, even as He is.

The more I learn about it the less I feel like I understand it.
I'm sorry, but that's not even logical. You'll have to clarify what you mean by that, because I don't see how it's possible to learn more and understand less. At any rate, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about Mormonism as they come up in your mind. It's important to me that people understand what we really believe and why we believe as we do. Then, if they judge us negatively, their conclusions will at least be based on accurate information. You do not seem like a judgmental person at all, to me, so I'm really not all that worried about you judging me. I would like you to have a better understanding of my beliefs, though. I think that any time we can come to understand why people believe as they do, we all benefit and grow closer to God in the process, since we are all His children.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Yes, and I think it fulfills that purpose admirably. We Mormons study the Bible a lot. We trust its words and we believe them. But the Bible also says that Jesus Christ said and did so many things during his short lifetime that had they been recorded, they would more than fill all of the books in the world. When you look at the four gospels, and realize how much is repeated in two or three of the accounts, you have to stop and wonder how much of what Jesus taught actually didn't get recorded, or got recorded and then lost. Certainly, if He was with His disciples 10 or 12 hours a day for three years, the account we have of His teachings must be incomplete. His ministry was so important that I can't imagine that He wasted much time talking about the upcoming storm over the Sea of Galilee or the price of fish or where to find a new pair of sandals. He must have been teaching constantly. People back then, with very few exceptions, I think, really didn't realize how critical His words were. Most couldn't read or write anyway. It's quite a miracle that any of what He said and did got written down for posterity.

That it does. And it cautions us to be on the lookout for false prophets. But nowhere does it imply that God would cease to send true prophets, or that any and all prophets should be considered to be "false prophets." In Ephesians, Paul very specifically states that Christ intended that prophets and apostles continue to lead His Church until all of His believers came into a unity of their faith. He said that without the organizational structure Christ had established, we'd be like children tossed about by every wind of doctrine and would not know what to believe. Seeing as there are over 30,000 different Christian denominations in the world today, it appears that what Paul said would happen without prophets and apostles actually did happen. The vast majority of these get their doctrines straight from the Bible, and yet even with the Bible as their shared source, they cannot seem to agree on what much of it means.

I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, so I'm not going to respond at this time. If you'd like to elaborate on what you mean, I'd be happy to comment, though. I'll just leave it up to you.

Again, I'm not sure exactly what it is you're saying. I'd need you to be a little more specific in order for me to really give you a satisfactory answer.

The bible is supposed to be our guide, it is what we are supposed to use to compare the world too.
So if someone were a Prophet, an honest to goodness Prophet given by God to lead us then wouldn't it be safe to say that the Prophet himself and his circumstances would resemble those of the bible and the Prophets in them, only so that we could identify them? I mean that is why there is prophecy in the bible that gives details on the Messiah so that we would recognize Him when He came. So, if assuming you believe in God having omniscience, then He would have known that the teachings would become corrupted, so why would He deviate from the bible He gave us when it comes to Joseph Smith when we need the bibles comparisons the most? Because I can't see anything that happened to say Moses or Abraham happen to Joseph Smith, not the circumstances or their personality or even their race or religion are the same. So why would God do that?

Okay, but where do you find anything remotely resembling this in the Qur'an:

"And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end." (2 Nephi 31:19-21)

The Book of Mormon is 531 pages long. Jesus Christ is mentioned the first time on page 2 and the last time on page 531. Within its 531 pages, Jesus is referred to as the "Christ" 398 times. He is referred to as our "Redeemer" 41 times, as our "Savior" 12 times, as the "Messiah" 32 times, and as the "Son of God" 51 times. From the beginning to the end, He is spoken of as the only means by which we might be reconciled to our Father in Heaven and return to His presence. The book is about Jesus Christ. The Qur'an is not. The book stands as another testament, another witness of Jesus Christ's divinity. We believe it to have been inspired by the same God as inspired the Bible.

Ah, I think I see what you're saying.
The Quran has a lot of the focus on the prophet, whereas yours is more about what the prophet said than himself.
Is that what you're trying to say?

Well, there are a number of reasons. For starters, I was raised in a Mormon family. I'd have to say that my parents always encouraged me to think and to question, though, and I was never ever ever made to feel ashamed if I doubted something I heard taught in a church setting. Clearly, my Mormon upbringing has a great deal to do with why I'm a Mormon. I have been interested in comparative Christianity, though, since I was about 12 years old. I'm now 67, so that's been an interest of mine for a while now. ;) Even as a child, I liked to learn how my Mormon beliefs differed from the beliefs, for instance, of my Catholic friend. I really don't know all that many preteen kids who are interested in that kind of stuff. As a grew into an adult, my interest in Christianity as a whole also grew. I found myself on websites like this one (and I've been here nearly 12 years). I heard people say things about Mormonism that were very confusing to me. They'd say, "Mormons believe...[such and such]," and I'd think, "Well that's weird. I've been a Mormon for 40 or 50 or 60 years now and I've never heard that taught in a Mormon worship service or Sunday School class or anywhere else!" I'd start doing research and I'd learn where their misconceptions came from. I'd learn how what we really teach and believe was twisted by people who wanted my religion to sound crazy or abhorrent to others. I learned about some things that troubled me, too, and things that tested my faith and my commitment to Mormonism. But whenever I found something of this sort, I continued to research until I could resolve the issue in my mind.

So, at this point, I'd have to say that I am a Mormon because...

1. I was born and raised in the faith.
2. I have looked carefully at the beliefs of other Christian denominations and find that Mormon doctrine, when correctly understood, makes more sense to me than the doctrines of traditional Christianity. I find that the restored gospel answers the questions that are sometimes not quite fully explained in the Bible.
3. I honestly believe that the Church Jesus Christ established fell into a state of apostasy relatively shortly after His death, and that He had to be personally involved in its reestablishment.
4. I find that the restored gospel answers the questions that are sometimes not quite fully explained in the Bible.
5. I cannot imagine why God would speak to His children through prophets for 4000 years and then suddenly decide to stop. We believe a living prophet, personally called by God, leads the Church today.
6. I believe my religion has made me a better person than I would have otherwise been. It has definitely helped me be less critical of other religions, since I know what it is like to be the underdog.
7. I love the constant opportunities my religion gives me to serve my fellow men.
8. I love how it guides essentially every aspect of my life and is not a Sunday-only religion.
9. I love how it lifts me and makes me feel that God really does have something very, very special in mind for me. He has given me the potential to become perfect, even as He is.

I'm sorry, but that's not even logical. You'll have to clarify what you mean by that, because I don't see how it's possible to learn more and understand less. At any rate, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about Mormonism as they come up in your mind. It's important to me that people understand what we really believe and why we believe as we do. Then, if they judge us negatively, their conclusions will at least be based on accurate information. You do not seem like a judgmental person at all, to me, so I'm really not all that worried about you judging me. I would like you to have a better understanding of my beliefs, though. I think that any time we can come to understand why people believe as they do, we all benefit and grow closer to God in the process, since we are all His children.

I don't disagree with your idea that Christianity fell into apostasy.
I just don't think it matters.

And I have to say Mormons are some of the nicest people I've ever met so you don't really have to justify your beliefs for me, I mean I know asked but I didn't mean it from a spiritual or emotional sense because I can see that Mormonism has that in abundance. What I meant was rather a logical and rational sense, you know the likelihood that it is true and the reasoning for the beliefs.

And thank you again for sharing, there are not many people here that actually want to teach, they just want to argue so I really appreciate you taking the time.

Jane.Doe

The bible is supposed to be our guide, it is what we are supposed to use to compare the world too.
So if someone were a Prophet, an honest to goodness Prophet given by God to lead us then wouldn't it be safe to say that the Prophet himself and his circumstances would resemble those of the bible and the Prophets in them, only so that we could identify them? I mean that is why there is prophecy in the bible that gives details on the Messiah so that we would recognize Him when He came. So, if assuming you believe in God having omniscience, then He would have known that the teachings would become corrupted, so why would He deviate from the bible He gave us when it comes to Joseph Smith when we need the bibles comparisons the most? Because I can't see anything that happened to say Moses or Abraham happen to Joseph Smith, not the circumstances or their personality or even their race or religion are the same. So why would God do that?

I'm a little confused as to what you're looking for in terms of "similarities". Prophets in the OT & NT come from very different backgrounds, cultures, professions, personalities, etc.

Ah, I think I see what you're saying.
The Quran has a lot of the focus on the prophet, whereas yours is more about what the prophet said than himself.
Is that what you're trying to say?

Not quite. The Book of Mormon is focused on Jesus Christ, the Son of God- simple as that. On the other hand, the Quran is not Christ-centric and even denies His Sonship.

I don't disagree with your idea that Christianity fell into apostasy.
I just don't think it matters.

Pardon me, but how would mainstream Christianity as a whole falling into apostasy be inconsequential?

Edit for clarification: I'm asking because I'm honestly curious as to your thought process here. I'm not asking to argue with you or pick you apart, and apologize if it was too forward a question.

And I have to say Mormons are some of the nicest people I've ever met so you don't really have to justify your beliefs for me, I mean I know asked but I didn't mean it from a spiritual or emotional sense because I can see that Mormonism has that in abundance. What I meant was rather a logical and rational sense, you know the likelihood that it is true and the reasoning for the beliefs.

And thank you again for sharing, there are not many people here that actually want to teach, they just want to argue so I really appreciate you taking the time.

I love sharing my beliefs- it's not a burden at all! I also love hearing about other people's beliefs. Thank you for this great conversation.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thana, I was just going to get back to your final post, but it looks like Jane.Doe beat me to the punch. I don't really have anything to add to what she already said, and she said it in a lot fewer words than it would have taken me. :)

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
And as far as I can tell, nothing truly similar that happened in the bible happened to Joseph Smith.
I see all sorts of parallels. First Joseph Smith tells us that a seer is someone who can see the truth by gazing into a seer stone. Jesus nicknamed Simon "Peter" because he knew that Jesus was the Christ. Peter isn't just any kind of stone, but a seer stone. Other seers are mentioned in the Old Testament, but the difference between a seer and a prophet is never explained in the Bible. Joseph Smith's explanation works as well as any, and better than most.
Jesus didn't teach as the other rabbis, but as one having authority. Joseph Smith had such a confidence about him, that he too taught as one having authority. Jesus called twelve men to be his apostles. Joseph Smith also called twelve men to be apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ - latter day apostles. Jesus healed many people of various diseases. Joseph Smith healed many people, some who were at death's door. Jesus sent out missionaries to all the world, the same commandment that he gave to Joseph Smith in these latter days. Jesus and the apostles had the Holy Ghost and believed in modern revelation. Joseph Smith said that the difference between the Mormons, and other churches, was that the Mormons had the Holy Ghost. In fact, none of the churches in 1830 claimed to have the Holy Ghost. Jesus sent missionaries out without purse or script. So did Joseph Smith. Jesus never charged anyone for preaching the gospel or receiving the ordinances of salvation. Neither did Joseph Smith. Like the early apostles, Joseph Smith also had visions and revelations. Like the early apostles, Joseph Smith and those who were with him received the ministering of angels. The early apostles were often thrown into prison without cause, just like the latter-day apostles. Joseph Smith and Jesus were both arrested for preaching the gospel, and claiming that they were sent by God.

There are also Old Testament parallels. The children of Israel were desperate for water, and Moses took his staff and hit the rock, and out poured enough water to satisfy everyone's need. During Zion's Camp, the Mormon militia ran out of water, and like the children of Israel, they went to the prophet. Joseph Smith took a shovel and dug a one foot hole. Out poured enough water to fill every container in camp.

There is a curious prophecy in the Book of Mormon that is also echoed in the Dead Sea Scrolls - a latter day prophet would be raised from seed of Joseph, and the seed of Jesse; his name would also be Joseph. The Jews called him the messiah Ben Joseph. http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Mashiach_ben_Yosef/mashiach_ben_yosef.html When Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith, he quoted a scripture from Isaiah and said that it was about to be fulfilled;
"1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the Lord
shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the
fear of the Lord; And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord: and he shall not judge after the sight of his
eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears: But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for
the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the
wicked." (Isaiah 11)​

Finally, the persecution of the early apostles was replayed in Joseph Smith's day. The Saduccees and Pharisees, like most modern Christians, preferred the scriptures over modern prophets, and despised the teachings of Jesus.

Last edited: