• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump-Taiwan call: China lodges protest

Sultan Of Swing

China's foreign ministry says it has lodged a complaint with the US after President-elect Donald Trump spoke to Taiwan's leader in a phone call.

China sees Taiwan as a breakaway province. US policy set in 1979 cut all formal relations with Taiwan.

However, Mr Trump's transition team said he and Tsai Ing-wen noted "close economic, political, and security ties" in a phone call.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-38194371

Thoughts? Is Trump planning a shift in policy towards Taiwan? Was it accidental? (It doesn't seem like it was accidental, they appear to have arranged this prior to the phone call)

One of Trump's central planks of his campaign has been about how China is ripping the USA off, so is this some way of playing mind games with the Chinese in the run-up to a better trade deal?

Who knows.

Laika

Premium Member
It's worth mentioning he did the same thing with Pakistan yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...l-with-prime-minister/?utm_term=.d771623df152

Maybe it was an accident: he just felt hungry and wanted a Chinese takeaway and dialled the wrong number...

"oh, Taiwan! hi! Can I get the special fried duck? Do you deliver?"

At this point, my optimistic guess is he is a moron and hasn't read the intelligence briefing and got he confused between the Republic and the People's Republic of China. There are next to each other after all.

I'm sure he'll clarify his intentions later by posting the fortune cookie wisdom on Twitter. After that, the CIA must be really looking forward to his phone call with North Korea.

"hey Kim, I just watched The Interview. You're a tremendous actor! fantastic special effects when you blew up on that Helicopter! I hear you like Katy Perry?"

Sultan Of Swing

It's worth mentioning he did the same thing with Pakistan yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...l-with-prime-minister/?utm_term=.d771623df152

Maybe it was an accident: he just felt hungry and wanted a Chinese takeaway and dialled the wrong number...

"oh, Taiwan! hi! Can I get the special fried duck? Do you deliver?"

At this point, my optimistic guess is he is a moron and hasn't read the intelligence briefing and got he confused between the Republic and the People's Republic of China. There are next to each other after all.

I'm sure he'll clarify his intentions later by posting the fortune cookie wisdom on Twitter. After that, the CIA must be really looking forward to his phone call with North Korea.

"hey Kim, I just watched The Interview. You're a tremendous actor! fantastic special effects when you blew up on that Helicopter! I hear you like Katy Perry?"
Thing is his team arranged it with Taiwan beforehand. Even if Trump were a moron, his team have actual experts and advisors that would know these things haha

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Chump will be assaulted with all sorts of fringe fidiots... and he's just as gullible as the people who voted for him.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks...

You just CAN NOT TRUST MAINSTREAM MEDIA...Look I heard this this morning on the BBC tv news - and THEY said that actually China said basically no problems at all, doesnt affect anything at all, but they did say Taiwan had "pulled a little trick" - but no details were given about that..

Why then that online article reports it differently is beyond me as the guy SPEAKING on the news never said anything about any official Chinese complaint at all - complete opposite - said outright the response from China was basically to say "NO PROBLEM, but they have tricked you so be cautious......"....BOTH sources are the BBC - apparantly contradiciting itself.....mainstream - not to be trusted....

Sultan Of Swing

Hi Folks...

You just CAN NOT TRUST MAINSTREAM MEDIA...Look I heard this this morning on the BBC tv news - and THEY said that actually China said basically no problems at all, doesnt affect anything at all, but they did say Taiwan had "pulled a little trick" - but no details were given about that..

Why then that online article reports it differently is beyond me as the guy SPEAKING on the news never said anything about any official Chinese complaint at all - complete opposite - said outright the response from China was basically to say "NO PROBLEM, but they have tricked you so be cautious......"....BOTH sources are the BBC - apparantly contradiciting itself.....mainstream - not to be trusted....
"China lodged a diplomatic protest on Saturday after U.S. President-elect Donald Trump spoke by phone with President Tsai Ing-wen of Taiwan, but blamed the self-ruled island Beijing claims as its own for the "petty" move.

The 10-minute telephone call with Taiwan's leadership was the first by a U.S. president-elect or president since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, acknowledging Taiwan as part of "one China".

China's Foreign Ministry said it had lodged "stern representations" with what it called the "relevant U.S. side", urging the careful handling of the Taiwan issue to avoid any unnecessary disturbances in ties."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trump-taiwan-idUKKBN13R2QO

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks...

Sultan; Oh Im not disagreeing with any of that - China probably did complain loudly - BUT - the reporting of this is entirely two faced BY the BBC for as said just this morning I listened directly to their news anchor as he explained this (first time I had heard about it) and he said China had responded as I say above - "no problem at all but watch Taiwan as they have pulled a trick on you" - basically....

As we see the BBC is presenting two different and opposing news stories, hence my advise that we just can not trust mainstream media to give us full legitimate truth...

Scuba Pete

As we see the BBC is presenting two different and opposing news stories, hence my advise that we just can not trust mainstream media to give us full legitimate truth...
No, they didn't. The real story is: Trump took a call from Taiwan. The fallout from that story is less clear, but that's not the media's fault. They've been told two different things and responsibly, they reported both of them.

David1967

Premium Member
China's foreign ministry says it has lodged a complaint with the US after President-elect Donald Trump spoke to Taiwan's leader in a phone call.

China sees Taiwan as a breakaway province. US policy set in 1979 cut all formal relations with Taiwan.

However, Mr Trump's transition team said he and Tsai Ing-wen noted "close economic, political, and security ties" in a phone call.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-38194371

Thoughts? Is Trump planning a shift in policy towards Taiwan? Was it accidental? (It doesn't seem like it was accidental, they appear to have arranged this prior to the phone call)

One of Trump's central planks of his campaign has been about how China is ripping the USA off, so is this some way of playing mind games with the Chinese in the run-up to a better trade deal?

Who knows.

So we're supposed to get permission from China before we talk to certain people?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My first thought is that Trump can talk to anyone he wants. Actions would be a different matter to discuss.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Frankly, I want the USA to support democracies like Taiwan. I don't care if China wants to force them back, we should not allow it. We should back Taiwan whenever we get a chance.
As far as I can see, the USA is selling out it's principles because it's more profitable to do business with tyrannical governments.
Again.
Tom

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Frankly, I want the USA to support democracies like Taiwan. I don't care if China wants to force them back, we should not allow it. We should back Taiwan whenever we get a chance.
As far as I can see, the USA is selling out it's principles because it's more profitable to do business with tyrannical governments.
Again.
Tom
I agree but it's important to note that normalizing relations with China has had many positive effects.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I agree but it's important to note that normalizing relations with China has had many positive effects.
I don't think that is especially important to this topic.
Part of "normalizing relations" ought to include the USA supporting democracies, including Taiwan. If that costs us a little business I think it worthwhile.
Tom

Scuba Pete

The problem is the double standard. If Obama had done this while he was the President Elect, he would have been accused of sedition.

Watching the Castro Supporters in Cuba as they bury the man's ashes, I'm struck with the feeling that these are Cuban style Trump supporters. They love the bully because they've been told it's the patriotic thing to do.

David1967

Premium Member
The problem is the double standard. If Obama had done this while he was the President Elect, he would have been accused of sedition.

Watching the Castro Supporters in Cuba as they bury the man's ashes, I'm struck with the feeling that these are Cuban style Trump supporters. They love the bully because they've been told it's the patriotic thing to do.

That's a pretty big jump.