• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tithing - heresy or biblical?

JerDriver

Many pastors teach that members of their congregation are required to give 10% of their income to their church.

Is this Biblical?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's an OT thing but I don't know if it was supposed to carry on into the NT. Jesus didn't refute so I guess it still stands.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
In Genesis 14 Abraham attempts to give Melchizedek, the King of Salem and the Most High Priest, a tenth of all his gains from his defeat of the kings of the Valley of Shaveh. But Melchizedek would not accept all Abraham offered. He requested only "the persons." I feel this was an indicator of what later would be Jesus's reference to being "fishers of men."

And in Leviticus 23, it is told to leave the edges and gleanings of your harvest for the poor and stranger. This is how my father paid "tithes" rather than to the church, though he gave the church his time, skill, and sweat as called upon, so this was tithing as taught to me. And this is tithing as I still believe in -- giving.

I think this definition of tithing is highlighted in Mt 22 when Jesus mentions tithing as below:
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.
24 You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!

Tithing to the church is mentioned much more often in Paul's Epistles if more reading on the practice is desired.