• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tirikutu Naach

Satyamavejayanti

Im trying to find the Indian Link to what seems a Fijian South Indian tradition only, anyone know if they practice this in India as well?

All i know is that this is Kali Puja with stage dances, sometimes with "Rani", or queens (Young men dressed as Indian Queen), who perform short stories, there is a mantri (sort of like jester) to keep crowds entertained.

My wife and sister in law have been to many, but i have never been to one, i missed one in Sydney last year.

here is google link, that is all i could find on the tradition.

anyone from South India can please shed some more light on the practice.

Tirikutu - Google Search

Satyamavejayanti

Have you ckecked this: Koothu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do not know Tamil but I think Thiru + koothu means Sri + Katha, i.e., stories of deities.
"in iyal (literature), isai (music) and natagam (drama)" (from the above link).
All music, all performances in India at one time were Sri Kathas (Tirikutus).

Dhanyavad,

As per the wiki link in Fiji this is known as Tirikutu, That is why my searches only brought up the Fiji videos, and after talking more to Mum and Dad about it they did say its generally Ramayana Kathaa which is performed in the Tirkutu Naach.

Thanks for your help

Ganendra

Hi i Am a Fiji Indian Therukoothu peformer here in Sydney. if you need more info or are interested please contact me. [email protected] or facebook page - Dakshin Pranth Nirit Heavy Sydney Entertainers

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
From Ganendra's Facebook page:

10418206_612329958875731_8712172892266560156_n.jpg