• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thousands of Pedophiles Released from California Prisons After Less than a Year: Report

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
That's not proof that it's inborn.

That may or may not be. What is clear is that other determining factors, such as abuse, have been ruled out. (With abuse, the cycle of abuse can be passed on generation to generation; we know this; but not necessarily the attraction being primary or exclusive). Point is, evidence is leaning very heavy at this time that it is, indeed, inborn.

This statement is not about behavior; but about the attraction itself. Studies indicate that somewhere between 4% to 20% of pedophiles actually ever offend.

Are you saying you believe we can consciously change our attractions?

No. I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying that no one chooses our attractions and that we can't consciously change them; and its harmful to try. I do advocate that behavior can be chosen. There are heterosexuals and gays who live celibate for religious or other reasons, for example.

I think that he is saying that there are ways to overcome one's desires.

Exactly!!

So avoidance of some sort is the only "cure".

Now, here we can really have some interesting discussion!

The public narrative goes something like this: Me, and people like me, are walking around, teeth gritted and fists clenched resisting these powerful urges all day, every day! Well, this is sometimes true for some of us all of the time. This is sometimes true for some of us some of the time. It is not true for all of us all of the time.

Our sexual predilections is only a part of who we are as human beings; and certainly not the whole. I view "Avoidance" as a tool we can use during recovery or treatment; or when something is going on in our lives that serves to destabilize us. When used as a cure all and end all, I think that this can actually cause a "backfire" affect as living "Avoidance" all the time is ultimately shame-based and fear-based; it leads to isolation and negative self-image, which are unhealthy. (I lived it religiously and fanatically and excessively for over 12 years on parole).

In regards to the Avoidance model, I once gave a small presentation in one of our workshops. My closing statement was something akin to: "It's not about cycles or high risk situations. It's not about avoidance or interventions. It's about perceptions and beliefs; empathy and compassion; morality; and our connection to our fellow man."

I believe it has its place. Pedophiles should be humble and wise to their limitations and remain within them; but not to the point where we're afraid to step out our door into the real world. So avoidance is a tool.

But the real "cure", in my opinion, is self-acceptance; devoid of feeling toxic shame for feelings that we did not choose and can not change, devoid of fear of feelings over which we have the power of choice. When we reach that point of replacing fear with wisdom and shame with humility, something really, really cool happens.

When we encounter a child in that serene mindset, the part of that child which serves to stimulate is no longer the focus of that child (because we are no longer afraid and ashamed). When its not the focus of the child, we are then able to see the child in their entirety: With a beautiful body, mind, heart; with a will of their own; their own consciousness, perceptions, wisdom -- When we stop tripping out over involuntary neurological and biochemical responses, we can see the whole child. When that state is reached, the idea of taking our predilections into behavior becomes nauseating and repugnant. When this stage is reached, few of us ever refer to our attractions as "urges"; but rather, "dualities", or "annoyances". When we see the child in the whole personhood that they truly are, the power of these feelings is subdued.

In prison, I did my required 18 months of Sex Offender Treatment. I voluntarily went back for more, doing another 5 years, give or take. Then, on parole, I went into Aftercare and did another 12 or so. We're talking almost 19 years, added together, if my math is right. When I stripped back "avoidance" and permitted myself to interact with the real world -- including children -- this was better therapy then all of the years of therapy before.

I empathize that this is a lot to take in; it was for me when I started to shed the Avoidance model and searched for more healthy ways to manage my attractions while upholding my oath to remain moral moving forward.

If it is beyond one's ability to take in, I get it; but I appreciate the effort put forth to listen.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

From what I have read, and from Cantor's presentation of this issue, there still could be the possibility of the brain changes occurring after any paedophilic attraction has taken hold or after any early experiences which might have caused such.

Many pedophiles report a "Peter Pan Syndrome", I call it; where they feel they did not emotionally mature. Now, this is not MY experience, but the experience of many. They feel like children inside and have a really hard time coping with the adult world; cultivating and managing adult relationships, etc. I have empathy for them. It must be very lonely. Me, on the other hand, I feel, act, think my age.

Point is, because there are differences in the specifics of the symptomology, I am open to the idea that there can be more than one cause. I have nothing objective to substantiate this speculation.

Perhaps there are some studies of brain structures from birth to an age when paedophila might be shown to exist but I have not come across any, and undoubtedly this would make scientific news.

That would be difficult, as the brainwave differences include the cross wiring of the nurturing centers of the brain with the erotic centers; when the nurturing centers lit up, so did the erotic centers.

(That makes me emotional, seriously; What a cruel joke of nature! You're feeding your children children supper, or reading them bedtime stories, or comforting them after a nightmare, then BAM. You normal people; I hope you understand and appreciate how precious your gift truly is).

I have confidence in the research as it describes my experiences very well. These will not function in the developing brains of an infant. But I do see and accept your reservations as being valid.

I do see questions in his research that are yet unanswered; so while I have confidence, I can't objectively state, "Yeah! this is it! He's got it!" Regardless of whether or not he's pegged it, though, it is a leap forward. Here are some of my reservations:
  • Small sample size; about 6 participants. We need large sample sizes and confirmed pedophiles (via interview, survey, plethysmograph) to take part.
  • All of the participants were convicted offenders; So are we looking at the mind of a pedophile; or the mind of a child molester?
  • To my knowledge, the test has not been repeated showing the same results. Repeatability is a MUST for the scientific method.

Hence why I still can't accept that paedophilia is definitely an orientation or something genetic, particularly when our early experiences might just affect us so as to produce such an attraction. And your own experiences as a child might support this.

No genetic links have been established, though they have been searched for. They probably don't exist; and if they do, they haven't been found yet.

How pedophilia is classified is a passionate point of discourse among the population, though I personally don't care. What's important to me is to help the rest of the world understand that:

(1) It is not chosen or created by us, and once we have it, we can't change it; and
(2) It is not an accurate predictor of future behavior; thus
(3) We should be judged by our actions and attitudes rather than attractions we did not choose and most often didn't want -- starting with my non-offending peers, who have done nothing wrong in their lives except have feelings that are disturbing to others. I feel that you have some right to judge ME because I have demonstrated the ability to cross the line into that which is immoral. THEY have not, so I feel that judgement against them is just .... wrong.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Many pedophiles report a "Peter Pan Syndrome", I call it; where they feel they did not emotionally mature. Now, this is not MY experience, but the experience of many. They feel like children inside and have a really hard time coping with the adult world; cultivating and managing adult relationships, etc. I have empathy for them. It must be very lonely. Me, on the other hand, I feel, act, think my age.

Point is, because there are differences in the specifics of the symptomology, I am open to the idea that there can be more than one cause. I have nothing objective to substantiate this speculation.

That would be difficult, as the brainwave differences include the cross wiring of the nurturing centers of the brain with the erotic centers; when the nurturing centers lit up, so did the erotic centers.

(That makes me emotional, seriously; What a cruel joke of nature! You're feeding your children children supper, or reading them bedtime stories, or comforting them after a nightmare, then BAM. You normal people; I hope you understand and appreciate how precious your gift truly is).

I have confidence in the research as it describes my experiences very well. These will not function in the developing brains of an infant. But I do see and accept your reservations as being valid.

I do see questions in his research that are yet unanswered; so while I have confidence, I can't objectively state, "Yeah! this is it! He's got it!" Regardless of whether or not he's pegged it, though, it is a leap forward. Here are some of my reservations:
  • Small sample size; about 6 participants. We need large sample sizes and confirmed pedophiles (via interview, survey, plethysmograph) to take part.
  • All of the participants were convicted offenders; So are we looking at the mind of a pedophile; or the mind of a child molester?
  • To my knowledge, the test has not been repeated showing the same results. Repeatability is a MUST for the scientific method.

No genetic links have been established, though they have been searched for. They probably don't exist; and if they do, they haven't been found yet.

How pedophilia is classified is a passionate point of discourse among the population, though I personally don't care. What's important to me is to help the rest of the world understand that:

(1) It is not chosen or created by us, and once we have it, we can't change it; and
(2) It is not an accurate predictor of future behavior; thus
(3) We should be judged by our actions and attitudes rather than attractions we did not choose and most often didn't want -- starting with my non-offending peers, who have done nothing wrong in their lives except have feelings that are disturbing to others. I feel that you have some right to judge ME because I have demonstrated the ability to cross the line into that which is immoral. THEY have not, so I feel that judgement against them is just .... wrong.
I still think Cantor's conclusions need better evidence, as you have pointed out, there are some issues with it. I'm still open to several factors being involved in this attraction, or even making one prone to this, and where early life experiences might tip one over into such. Whatever, the whole subject just needs more research and less condemnation - if we want to understand it better. And throwing the 'paedophile' label around haphazardly (usually in the popular media) hardly helps.

Last edited:

wellwisher

Killing child molesters wouldn't keep pedophiles from being born, but it would keep pedophiles with urges from getting help which would prevent more child rape.

Pedophiles are not born, they are created. A part of them gets stalled at childhood, due to their environment and choices. Their attraction to children is as way to resolve this block. However, they do not see the symbolic nature of this unconscious projection, which is trying to help tells see the source of the problem. Instead they act on adult egocentric cues; a misfire that does not resolve the conflict.

What I would do is ask the victims what their punishment should be.The Left wing leaders are perverts down deep, and tend to expand the problem; birds of a feather. They ignorer the victims in favor of criminals.

At one time, many such social behavior were placed in the closet. These behavior occurred, but were not made socially acceptable, to help minimize their numbers. The Left has opened the closet door and made the ones in the front fashionable thereby expanding the pathology. Now what is in the back of the closet wants to be free. If you can accept one or more types of closet bizarre, why not one more? Bestial is next in line. The Left will try to free that next. Be careful of their next misinformation campaign, where they will use fake mercenary science to make these appear legitimate.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Pedophiles are not born, they are created. A part of them gets stalled at childhood, due to their environment and choices.

What qualifications, experience or evidence can you present to substantiate this claim?

If other sexual predilections are unchosen, what is different about pedophilia that suggests there are choices in the matter?

Is it possible you are confusing pedophilia -- the attraction, with child molesters -- a behavior? The statement may describe #2 to an extent, as instances of childhood trauma does seem to be a consistent (though not universal) occurrence in the lives of offenders.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Pedophiles are not born, they are created. A part of them gets stalled at childhood, due to their environment and choices. Their attraction to children is as way to resolve this block. However, they do not see the symbolic nature of this unconscious projection, which is trying to help tells see the source of the problem. Instead they act on adult egocentric cues; a misfire that does not resolve the conflict.

What I would do is ask the victims what their punishment should be.The Left wing leaders are perverts down deep, and tend to expand the problem; birds of a feather. They ignorer the victims in favor of criminals.

At one time, many such social behavior were placed in the closet. These behavior occurred, but were not made socially acceptable, to help minimize their numbers. The Left has opened the closet door and made the ones in the front fashionable thereby expanding the pathology. Now what is in the back of the closet wants to be free. If you can accept one or more types of closet bizarre, why not one more? Bestial is next in line. The Left will try to free that next. Be careful of their next misinformation campaign, where they will use fake mercenary science to make these appear legitimate.
You know, it's pretty hard to take you seriously when you say ridiculous stuff like, "the Left wing leaders are perverts deep down, and tend to expand the problem."
Do better.

JIMMY12345

WTH is going on?

Thousands of Pedophiles Released from California Prisons After Less than a Year: Report

'More than 7,000 pedophiles convicted of “lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 years of age” were released from California prisons the same year they were convicted, according to the Daily Mail.

The crimes included child rape, continuous sexual abuse of a child, sodomy with a child under 16 and kidnapping a child under 14 “with intent to commit lewd or lascivious acts,” according to the Daily Mail. The outlet analyzed data on thousands of convicts in California’s Megan’s Law database and found that individuals convicted of sexually abusing children were serving only months in jail or prison; Megan’s law requires that certain information about convicted sex offenders be made public.

“Statistics clearly show that pedophiles don’t get reformed. They’re going to come out and they’re going to commit again,” former Los Angeles sex crimes prosecutor Samuel Dordulian told the outlet. “Letting these people out early, we’re allowing for a lot more victimization. And that’s terrifying.”

Lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 years of age,” was the most common crime in the database, committed 19,441 times, with an average time served of two years and 11 months, according to the Daily Mail; 7,152 people convicted of this crime served less than a year.

Proposition 57, a 2016 bill allowing early parole for nonviolent offenders which was supported by Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon, is to blame for this string of early releases, Deputy DA Jon Hatami told the Daily Mail.

“Thousands of child victims are being denied justice and George Gascón and his group of radical prosecutors can care less,” Hatami told the outlet.

Thousands of Pedophiles Released from California Prisons After Less than a Year: Report - Tennessee Star
One good argument for allowing religious clergy to marry.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

After a few days of non-response, I take it that you have no experience, qualifications, evidence to substantiate your claim?