• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thich Nhat Hanh

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I find many of Thich Nhat Hanh's words inspiring and insightful in multiple ways, even though I disagree with some of his views. One of the things that I appreciate the most about his works is that Buddhist practices of mindfulness and meditation have had considerable influence on some psychotherapeutic techniques, such as DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy). Marsha Linehan, the founder of DBT, was highly inspired by Zen Buddhism and incorporated some of its practices into the evidence-based therapeutic approach.

DBT has significantly helped me to get my life back on track, and my practice of meditation and mindfulness is largely based on it. I have found a lot that I can relate to in Thich Nhat Hanh's works despite the abovementioned disagreement on some issues. In contrast to many public figures and authors, especially in the age of social media, Thich Nhat Hanh's work doesn't revolve around resentment or standing against one group or another and fixating on it. It is mainly centered on what he stood for and how he represented it in his actions and words.

It's not just that much of what he taught was so insightful; it's also that he, in my opinion, largely embodied the virtue of practicing what one preaches. He was exiled from Vietnam during the Vietnam War and saw many of his fellow people suffer both during anti-Buddhist persecution, at the hands of an extremist prime minister in South Vietnam, and during the war, at the hands of different forces involved in it. He didn't preach from an ivory tower or say one thing and do another; he remained steadfast in his principles while directly experiencing and witnessing immensely difficult circumstances. Whether one agrees with his principles or not, Thich Nhat Hanh was consistent.

This thread is for posting about Thich Nhat Hanh's quotes, works, life, teachings, and anything else related to him. I'll start with one of my favorite quotes from him about mindfulness:

The Art of Power said:
To dwell in the here and now does not mean you never think about the past or responsibly plan for the future. The idea is simply not to allow yourself to get lost in regrets about the past or worries about the future. If you are firmly grounded in the present moment, the past can be an object of inquiry, the object of your mindfulness and concentration. You can attain many insights by looking into the past. But you are still grounded in the present moment.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Screenshot_20231111_130824_Facebook.jpg

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Thicht-hahn-joy.jpg

This quote reminds me of the half-smile technique used in DBT:

Yerda

Veteran Member
I was listening to one of his audiobooks last week. You Are Here or something to that effect. It was good.