• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Value of Life

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
There simply is no good reason, imo, to have the death penalty in a country that has jails and prisons. It's sorta like "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?".

What to do with a person opening fire into a crowd, waiting for him to finish his job then taking him to jail or immediately putting end to his life at the spot ?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What to do with a person opening fire into a crowd, waiting for him to finish his job then taking him to jail or immediately putting end to his life at the spot ?

What does that have to do with the death penalty?
You must stop them, by whatever means available. But once they are in prison that problem is over with.
Tom

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The law isnt an entity in space, though. People created the law. They created their own right to take another life. That is wrong. Who gave them that right?

That's no better than my creating a law (in scenario) that gives me the right to kill murderers. Does it being legal make it ethical?

That's my point. It's the moral and ethical issues behind killing murderers. I can't change the fact I disagree with the government but in general I don't see any good in taking a life.

Though the ethical reasons from everyday humans from people in the government to Joe Smoe living in the streets, we are all human. We make stupid choices. We suffer consequences.

None of which should impune our last and only right: to live.

I'm not saying they should be free to kill other people. I'm just keeping it to ethical reasons that killing murderers is wrong because they are people too.

EDIT
I could never work as a correctional officer. Maybe those that are can find balance between their belief system and their job. Maybe their job goes in line with their beliefs. Maybe they ignore their beliefs so they can get a pay check. Unless someone forced me or I had no choice, I'd never choose a job that completely goes against my belief system.

How do people do that? (Also in my OP)
But are you not making your own law so you can say that the police can't take another life, who's law is the right law, and who is to say what is the right law ?.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I believe that this goes straight to Carlita's point.

"The law" you are referring to is human authority. If god has plans of any kind, you are stopping them. You, as a human are usurping His authority. You can claim that you have this authority for any reason you want to, but it is still you and whatever humans you agree have authority doing things.
Not God.
The difference is important.
Tom

I think the very thought that puny humans may be able to prevent God's plans from transpiring can be considered blasphemous.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No
I think the people who do that sort of thing are not particularly rational. What stops you and me from murdering won't be effective on most people who will.
Tom

Yes they maybe not rational but there was a motivation which is the paradise and not making severe punishment for the murderers will
motivate some to kill with a cold blood.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No. My point is no one has the right to take another person's life.

Why not ?

It is us who concede to others the 'right' to live. That's why 'rights' exist. Why can't we then take away this concession ?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But are you not making your own law so you can say that the police can't take another life, who's law is the right law, and who is to say what is the right law ?.
Ethically, no one. Some would say its Gods call. I say its karma. We have our answers. However, I dont feel that particular law of planned killing is right. I would take it out completely. But there is a long process depending on the state and the length of time before the final decisions are made. They dont make it haphazzardly. But, its wrong nonetheleaa. Cant think of other "legal" examples of planed death in the U.S.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Ethically, no one. Some would say its Gods call. I say its karma. We have our answers. However, I dont feel that particular law of planned killing is right. I would take it out completely. But there is a long process depending on the state and the length of time before the final decisions are made. They dont make it haphazzardly. But, its wrong nonetheleaa. Cant think of other "legal" examples of planed death in the U.S.
Yes, I see everything we call good and bad as being what we all agree with, so as to live in society in a peaceful manner, but that's all it is. So really there is no right and wrong, so if we all agree on something that makes life easier to live together, then I am for it.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Death penalty thread pt.2? :D

As far as right to life and who has the right to take life...how do animals fit in?

Should they be able to be put to death because there are too many or, more fitting, because they attacked/killed someone?

Should the same standards and principles involved with choosing imprisonment, rehabilitation, etc. over capital punishment for humans - also carry over to animals, if strongly held to?

Who has the right to decide if the life of an animal who has done absolutely wrong, nothing immoral or dangerous, may be possesed or taken away?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Death penalty thread pt.2? :D

As far as right to life and who has the right to take life...how do animals fit in?

Should they be able to be put to death because there are too many or, more fitting, because they attacked/killed someone?

Should the same standards and principles involved with choosing imprisonment, rehabilitation, etc. over capital punishment for humans - also carry over to animals, if strongly held to?

Who has the right to decide if the life of an animal who has done absolutely wrong, nothing immoral or dangerous, may be possesed or taken away?
Well, I meant it to be just seeing life taking as morally and ethically right and how I disagree with it. Cant really change the laws; but, the ethical in addition to the legal part of it makes me, um, sick.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes they maybe not rational but there was a motivation which is the paradise and not making severe punishment for the murderers will
motivate some to kill with a cold blood.
There are severe punishments that aren't just us killing again.
Tom

David M

There simply is no good reason, imo, to have the death penalty in a country that has jails and prisons. It's sorta like "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?".

My objection to the death penalty is "Why do we accept killing people who haven't killed other people to show that killing is wrong".

If killing an innocent person is morally wrong then the government killing an innocent person is also morally wrong, and the facts cleary show that innocent people are executed on a regular basis.