• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see mathematics existing anywhere but in human brains. No brains, no maths. That's why you'll never find an uninstantiated 2 running around in the wild.

Even the most basic addition doesn't exist without humans. Before you can add, YOU must decide (a) WHAT you want to count and (b) the FIELD in which you want to count it. How many DOGS in my STREET? How many PEOPLE NAMES JONES in the US?

If intelligent non-humans, presumably elsewhere in the universe, set out to answer questions like those of ours that have given rise to our maths, I suspect they'll get the same answer because the same answer will follow logically from the framing of the question.

It'd be interesting to know (a) if there are such other entities and (b) if so, whether they use what we understand as maths, or have a different approach.

Enai de a lukal

Animals perceive and compare quantities. They can perform mathematical operations under certain conditions. Math is everywhere in the natural world. And good ol' 2 + 2 will still always equal 4 no matter whether there's anyone around to take note of it. So I see mathematics everywhere, and learn more towards the notion that mathematics is discovered, not invented, and the unreasonable effectiveness of it is due both to the nature of mathematics itself (mathematics is inherently powerful) and human's uncanny ability to harness mathematics, often in previously unthought of ways

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Animals perceive and compare quantities. They can perform mathematical operations under certain conditions.
Crows "counting to three" is one I recall. But that's explicable in terms other than maths.

Math is everywhere in the natural world.
I don't think so. Rather, maths is everywhere in our interpretation of the natural world. I mentioned above that we can't count anything without designating WHAT we want to count and the FIELD in which we want to count it. No human, no numeration

And good ol' 2 + 2 will still always equal 4 no matter whether there's anyone around to take note of it.
That's an abstraction. Abstractions are only found in brains, which is largely the point I'm making. The number 2 is an abstraction, which is why, as I said, we don't find uninstantiated 2s at large in the wild. And we don't find 2s at all unless we, the relevant individual, first determine the WHAT and the FIELD for that counting.

So I see mathematics everywhere,
Because that's how we think, indeed have to a large extent been taught to think. The innumerate shepherd used to count his flock by the pebbles-in-the-bag method or the notches-on-the-stick method (one-to-one correspondence means of tallying) rather than muttering '101, 102, 103 ...'.

and learn more towards the notion that mathematics is discovered, not invented, and the unreasonable effectiveness of it is due both to the nature of mathematics itself (mathematics is inherently powerful) and human's uncanny ability to harness mathematics, often in previously unthought of ways
I think of it as the result of working with the logical consequences of particular axioms, very usually provoked by particular precedents. That is, I think logic is the universal-seeming element rather than mathematics itself.

And it's a much shorter step to attribute logic to our hypothetical Smart Extraterrestrials than to postulate a Platoland in a parallel universe which we all tap as the source of our maths.

Mind you, Roger Penrose is a mathematical Platonist, and if I recall correctly, so was Paul Dirac (and gok how many others), so if that's your view you wouldn't be without friends.

But it's not my view. I don't believe in parallel universes where mathematical truths are stored in order that trained human brains can tap them,

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I don't see mathematics existing anywhere but in human brains. No brains, no maths. That's why you'll never find an uninstantiated 2 running around in the wild.

Even the most basic addition doesn't exist without humans. Before you can add, YOU must decide (a) WHAT you want to count and (b) the FIELD in which you want to count it. How many DOGS in my STREET? How many PEOPLE NAMES JONES in the US?

If intelligent non-humans, presumably elsewhere in the universe, set out to answer questions like those of ours that have given rise to our maths, I suspect they'll get the same answer because the same answer will follow logically from the framing of the question.

It'd be interesting to know (a) if there are such other entities and (b) if so, whether they use what we understand as maths, or have a different approach.

Even before you decide the what and field, your brain must first differentiate "dog" and "street" from everything else, which is impossible without discriminating senses and a brain to mold them into experiential "things."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Animals perceive and compare quantities. They can perform mathematical operations under certain conditions. Math is everywhere in the natural world. And good ol' 2 + 2 will still always equal 4 no matter whether there's anyone around to take note of it. So I see mathematics everywhere, and learn more towards the notion that mathematics is discovered, not invented, and the unreasonable effectiveness of it is due both to the nature of mathematics itself (mathematics is inherently powerful) and human's uncanny ability to harness mathematics, often in previously unthought of ways

Math is a language created and used by humans to describe relationships found between objects in the universe.
These relationships exist everywhere in the natural world for which humans use math to describe them.

Certainly you don't have to be human to understand these relationships.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
Math is a language created and used by humans to describe relationship found between objects in the universe.
These relationships exist everywhere in the natural world for which humans use math to describe them.

Certainly you don't have to be human to understand these relationships.

Exactly. The universe is filled with patterns, laws. We use symbols to communicate, record, predict - it's not about the symbol, but the universe those symbols point towards.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Before you can add, YOU must decide (a) WHAT you want to count and (b) the FIELD in which you want to count it. How many DOGS in my STREET? How many PEOPLE NAMES JONES in the US?
I am confused.
What did I miss?
screenshot_2.png

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Crows "counting to three" is one I recall. But that's explicable in terms other than maths.

I don't think so. Rather, maths is everywhere in our interpretation of the natural world. I mentioned above that we can't count anything without designating WHAT we want to count and the FIELD in which we want to count it. No human, no numeration

That's an abstraction. Abstractions are only found in brains, which is largely the point I'm making. The number 2 is an abstraction, which is why, as I said, we don't find uninstantiated 2s at large in the wild. And we don't find 2s at all unless we, the relevant individual, first determine the WHAT and the FIELD for that counting.

Because that's how we think, indeed have to a large extent been taught to think. The innumerate shepherd used to count his flock by the pebbles-in-the-bag method or the notches-on-the-stick method (one-to-one correspondence means of tallying) rather than muttering '101, 102, 103 ...'.

I think of it as the result of working with the logical consequences of particular axioms, very usually provoked by particular precedents. That is, I think logic is the universal-seeming element rather than mathematics itself.

And it's a much shorter step to attribute logic to our hypothetical Smart Extraterrestrials than to postulate a Platoland in a parallel universe which we all tap as the source of our maths.

Mind you, Roger Penrose is a mathematical Platonist, and if I recall correctly, so was Paul Dirac (and gok how many others), so if that's your view you wouldn't be without friends.

But it's not my view. I don't believe in parallel universes where mathematical truths are stored in order that trained human brains can tap them,
You cannot be a physical realist and a mathematical non-realist.
Simple example.
If you believe Energy and Mass are existent mind independent properties of matter, then E = mc^2 is a real relationship that exists between these properties independent of whether there are minds out there or not (otherwise the Sun is going to stop shining when no minds are around....which is patently ridiculous). This means mathematical relationships and operations required for them have mind independent reality.

If you believe physics is a invented fiction then please explain what is the ontology of reality.

Math is a product of the human imagination. Did numbers exist before we created them? No. Do you see the number '2' over two apple trees together denoting two of them? No. Is there a mysterious undiscovered equation floating over the milky way shouting "look at me!" No. Math is invented and has evolved over many, many centuries by humans to get it to where it is today. I will never believe it was 'discovered.'

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is because math is a logic-based language. Human languages don't exist outside the brains of humans and other animals that can understand it. And just as humam language is, there isn't only one way to do it and even other animals have their own languages, including some that have been observed using their own version f math.

wellwisher

Math is connected to written language, more than to spoken language. If we did not have written language; could not write math, spoken math would be very limited, and would be much harder to do. Written language allows one to record what you counted; placeholder for memory, instead of having to place the sum into memory, while also doing calculations and operations in your heads. Writing allows to document, so we can pause and reflect. If you are solving simultaneous equations, it is much easier to write them down and then ponder what you see. You try things until they work; many pages. All in your head, like spoken language would be very difficult beyond just basic math, even keeping track of where you have been; aborted efforts.

The invention of written language, was important to the formation of civilization. The tool of written language, was extended to early math. Math has it own symbols of the math alphabet; Greek letters, and words; equations, to allow a way to make commerce, science and other record keeping, easier, more compact and more reliable.

Engineering Basic Math from Scratch.

Say I was a farmer who owned sheep. I put notches on a tree, for each sheep I own. This is a very simple written system. If my neighbor claims, I have one of his sheep, we can go to my notch tree and compare notches on my tree, to the sheep counted in my field. If I have an extra sheep, he takes it home. If there is one less, I need to look for it. If the total is fine, we both go back to our herds. We can, together, do the one to one correspondence; count notches and sheep.

Without this basic writing language, we would have to depend on memory. We would have more arguments if either of us forgets or embellishes. The written record settles the argument. This was pivotal to sustained civilization; less arguments and fights.

Say I am blessed by the gods of sheep, and have many lambs born this year. My notch tree is now getting full and is getting too confusing. I come up with the idea; necessity, I need a way to compact all the notches. For every 10 notches, I will gouge a circular gouge, on my new tree; gouge =10. This is the number of fingers on my two hands. I then decide, I will even use a half circle notch, to represent the fingers on just one of my hands=5. This system is more compact for my growing farm. I can count more sheep on the new tree.

My blessing now has become a curse with too many sheep. I decide I will trade the extra sheep. This causes causes more problems, making my notch tree very messy. It would be nice if I had a way to add and take away lines, half gouges, and full gouges, when I trade sheep with my neighbor. I decide I will make hanging symbols on a third tree. I will teach my neighbors my selling system, so we can both swap our hanging symbols, and place the new ones on our own hanging trees. I have engineered a simple mobile calculator system. My son can now also help give out the bought sheep, to the new owner, while I see to another customer. The owner gives him the hanging symbols. My son counts the sheep by the symbols, and then gives the symbols back, as a receipt and record of ownership for his hanging tree.

The last is reverse engineered based on modern need and method that would come in handy way back when.

Math is reflection of the human brain's visual apparatus.

The written nature of Math, is connected to the natural visual language of the eyes and brain; eyes, visual and frontal lobes. Math is this neural network projected outward, as visual math system analogies. By virtue of coordinating with the natural visual-neural apparatus, math itself will become formed in the image of natural human. The parallel in the brain also allows math to become universal to all humans.

This projection effect is common to tools and machines, where the early tools and machines, mimic and extend the body. The sword is an extension of the arm and an extra claw. Math uses the ability of the eyes to sense difference; number of units, angles, textures, complex gradients, shadows, reflections, colors, etc. While the brain takes this further; integration; area under curve and differentiate; slopes/angles, relative to memory and other visual data from modern technology.

This is because math is a logic-based language. Human languages don't exist outside the brains of humans and other animals that can understand it. And just as humam language is, there isn't only one way to do it and even other animals have their own languages, including some that have been observed using their own version f math.
Animals could never understand the human's perception of numeration, period.

I guess you missed the point of what I said. Do you think a monkey's brain is capable of understanding the human brain's perception of numeration? No. Monkey's are quite capable of scrolling through an iphone but do they know what they are looking at on the phone too? No. They don't do math the way humans do it, period.

Enai de a lukal

Its more than three, and you can call it whatever you like but recognizing, organizing, and reacting to quantity is inextricably related to math. SO that's a fail.
I don't think so. Rather, maths is everywhere in our interpretation of the natural world. I mentioned above that we can't count anything without designating WHAT we count and the FIELD in which we want to count it. No human, no numeration
Math may be everywhere in our interpretation of the world, but it does not follow that that is the only place it is. Regardless of whether I am consciously interpreting it as such, the number of trees in my yard still has a quantity. Sounds like you're running aground of a basic map/territory confusion.
No, or at any rate its not only an abstraction. Combining two collections of two objects still yields 4 objects, regardless of whether a human is doing the counting or not. OR would you disagree? If a monkey has 2 grubs in one hand and 2 in another, and there is no conscious observer to use mathematical language to describe the situation, isn't it nevertheless true that the monkey has 4 grubs? Quantities exist in nature, and they combine and divide and substract and all the rest, just like our theories describe, regardless of whether they are interpreted mathematically by a mind capable of such.

Idk if this is a deliberate strawman or if you're just a bit out to date in the philosophy of mathematics, but their are realist positions wrt ontology/truth in mathematics that do not involve "Platoland". Structuralism, for instance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Animals could never understand the human's perception of numeration, period.
Humans are animals so your statement is invalid, and yes indeed some other animals do math. Of course probably not the same way we do it, but about the only communication we do strictly have in common is when we teach some gorillas sign language. All other languages we all have we all just all do them different.
And your statement, whales and dolphins would laugh at us because they way they communicate is rather incomprehensible to us without mechanical amd electrical assistance. And they are some very intelligent animals.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You cannot be a physical realist and a mathematical non-realist.
I can be a physical realist and point out that maths exists only as concepts in human brains, not out there in nature but only in how we interpret nature.

Simple example.
If you believe Energy and Mass are existent mind independent properties of matter, then E = mc^2 is a real relationship that exists between these properties independent of whether there are minds out there or not (otherwise the Sun is going to stop shining when no minds are around....which is patently ridiculous). This means mathematical relationships and operations required for them have mind independent reality.
Yes, mass is found in nature and energy is found in nature (nature being the world external to the self which we know about through our senses).

That it has certain relationships that we express as E=mc^2 is something we do, not something nature does. No humans, no maths.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its more than three, and you can call it whatever you like but recognizing, organizing, and reacting to quantity is inextricably related to math. SO that's a fail.
Maths is purely conceptual, a tool we use for organizing our perceptions of reality.

Math may be everywhere in our interpretation of the world, but it does not follow that that is the only place it is.
Where else do you say it exists, other than as concepts in a human brain?

Regardless of whether I am consciously interpreting it as such, the number of trees in my yard still has a quantity. Sounds like you're running aground of a basic map/territory confusion.
No, it doesn't have a quantity until you choose to interpret it in terms of quantity. Maths is the human-made map, not the objective territory. Without humans there are no plants, trees, flowers, grass, grain, no mountains or hills, no bees, spiders, fish, birds, animals, just aggregates of things.

If you've ever watched babies learning to talk, you'll see how we're geared to think in categories because that works for us. We impose form on the world. It has none of its own.

No, or at any rate its not only an abstraction. Combining two collections of two objects still yields 4 objects, regardless of whether a human is doing the counting or not. OR would you disagree?
I disagree. There's no such thing as collections, categories, examples, unless you, the observer, choose to see things that way. Which we've evolved to do. so from a survival point of view that approach works.

If a monkey has 2 grubs in one hand and 2 in another, and there is no conscious observer to use mathematical language to describe the situation, isn't it nevertheless true that the monkey has 4 grubs?
Not unless and until YOU decide (as you've evolved to do) that this thing is a monkey and this thing is a grub and this thing is a grub and this thing is a hand and this thing is a hand and this thing is a grub and this thing is a grub.

Quantities exist in nature, and they combine and divide and substract and all the rest, just like our theories describe, regardless of whether they are interpreted mathematically by a mind capable of such.
Again, we've evolved to categorize the world. In our absence the world simply is.

Idk if this is a deliberate strawman or if you're just a bit out to date in the philosophy of mathematics, but their are realist positions wrt ontology/truth in mathematics that do not involve "Platoland". Structuralism, for instance.
Mathematical platonism requires belief that maths exists independently of our concepts of maths, ie independently of humans, but does not exist materially. Therefore it exists somehow in Platoland, an alternative universe somehow overlapping ours; and Platoland is a notion I reject.