• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Types of Judaism

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
A forum member, @Ellen Brown, has written -

"I have met a few Jews and was left very confused. These days, I refer to myself as an Abrahamic Religionist, though I have been several types of Christian, and two types of Muslims in the past. I'm pretty disorganized and not at all obedient to the ideas of men.

Here in America, I briefly lived in the same house as a Jew who ate only boiled Chicken and boiled Cabbage. He yelled at me for shutting the light off for him. I was just trying to be helpful.

When I visited Israel, none of the Jews would speak to us, and the elevators stopped at each floor on Shabat. They were very superioristic.

These days, I am retired, so study religions. I can see that Christianity has around 80 or so different denominations, and that some of them hate the others. In Islam, they say there are 4 Sunni schools of thought and a few Shia ones.

It is unlikely that I will ever be Jewish, but I would like to learn enough about it to be reasonably mindful and courteous to those I encounter."

I'm sure Ms. Brown would appreciate any input, no matter where you stand on the Jewish spectrum, that would help guide to more knowledge and better understanding of Judaism and the different movements within it.

Tumah

Veteran Member
There are basically two movement in Judaism, the Israel Denomination and the Diaspora Denomination.

The Israel Denomination also sometimes -as the OP noticed in her visit- believe that G-d's Will can best be fulfilled through the installation of Shabbos elevators and so they practice Shabbos Elevator Installation throughout the country. This has caused no small bit of consternation among the more secular Israelis who refuse to have these Shabbos Elevators installed in their homes and places of business. There is an extremist movement who, through government lobbying is attempting to pass into law a requirement to have Shabbos Elevators installed even in one story houses. Although their piety is respected, thankfully the majority of the people refuse to accept their personal stringencies as law and so far, this law has not passed. On a related note, about 10 years ago, the Israeli High Court did rule that the government must fine anyone Jewish person who is caught talking to a non-Israeli national. So, as the fine is pretty steep, if your visit was after that point, I hope it's understandable why no one would talk to you.

As for the Diaspora Denomination, they branched off the Israeli Denomination about 2,500 years ago. Being separate from the Israeli Denomination, their practice evolved into an a separate-but-equal custom to only eat chicken with boiled cabbage. This is naturally excepting Christmas at which time only Chinese food may be eaten. Interestingly, this custom has it's roots in Israel from a purity movement who would only eat food outside the home. Apparently, during Saturnalia, only Chinese establishments were opened as they didn't have Saturnalia in their home country. It's only later that the Christian movement arose and absorbed the pagans establishing their holiday on the pagans' holy day and by extension, Chinese-food day of the purity movement.

What's interesting to note is that what is today the Diaspora Denomination was originally from Israel and the Israel Denomination came out of religious rulings in study-halls located in what was then Babylon, where there was a huge Jewish community. The families that later became to known as the Israel Denomination were exiled by the Romans and later, the Babylonian Jews made their way back into Israel. So I guess it's just funny how that worked out.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Tumah

Veteran Member
That's too funny for the three weeks. :D
Yeah sure. Life must be easy for you when all you need to do is each chicken and boiled cabbage. Come to Israel and try installing elevators for a few days with the High Court breathing down your neck every time you look at a tourist. Then you'll understand that a little humor is the only way to get by.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are basically two movement in Judaism, the Israel Denomination and the Diaspora Denomination.

The Israel Denomination also sometimes -as the OP noticed in her visit- believe that G-d's Will can best be fulfilled through the installation of Shabbos elevators and so they practice Shabbos Elevator Installation throughout the country. This has caused no small bit of consternation among the more secular Israelis who refuse to have these Shabbos Elevators installed in their homes and places of business. There is an extremist movement who, through government lobbying is attempting to pass into law a requirement to have Shabbos Elevators installed even in one story houses. Although their piety is respected, thankfully the majority of the people refuse to accept their personal stringencies as law and so far, this law has not passed. On a related note, about 10 years ago, the Israeli High Court did rule that the government must fine anyone Jewish person who is caught talking to a non-Israeli national. So, as the fine is pretty steep, if your visit was after that point, I hope it's understandable why no one would talk to you.

As for the Diaspora Denomination, they branched off the Israeli Denomination about 2,500 years ago. Being separate from the Israeli Denomination, their practice evolved into an a separate-but-equal custom to only eat chicken with boiled cabbage. This is naturally excepting Christmas at which time only Chinese food may be eaten. Interestingly, this custom has it's roots in Israel from a purity movement who would only eat food outside the home. Apparently, during Saturnalia, only Chinese establishments were opened as they didn't have Saturnalia in their home country. It's only later that the Christian movement arose and absorbed the pagans establishing their holiday on the pagans' holy day and by extension, Chinese-food day of the purity movement.

What's interesting to note is that what is today the Diaspora Denomination was originally from Israel and the Israel Denomination came out of religious rulings in study-halls located in what was then Babylon, where there was a huge Jewish community. The families that later became to known as the Israel Denomination were exiled by the Romans and later, the Babylonian Jews made their way back into Israel. So I guess it's just funny how that worked out.

I hope this clarifies things for you.
The above is nothing short of pitiful stereotyping, as if we didn't have enough problems with others doing that to us.

Flankerl

Yeah sure. Life must be easy for you when all you need to do is each chicken and boiled cabbage. Come to Israel and try installing elevators for a few days with the High Court breathing down your neck every time you look at a tourist. Then you'll understand that a little humor is the only way to get by.

As a basically Oberlander Yekke I have to ask, what's humour and why do you write it without a u?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator

"I have met a few Jews and was left very confused. These days, I refer to myself as an Abrahamic Religionist, though I have been several types of Christian, and two types of Muslims in the past. I'm pretty disorganized and not at all obedient to the ideas of men.

Here in America, I briefly lived in the same house as a Jew who ate only boiled Chicken and boiled Cabbage. He yelled at me for shutting the light off for him. I was just trying to be helpful.

When I visited Israel, none of the Jews would speak to us, and the elevators stopped at each floor on Shabat. They were very superioristic.

These days, I am retired, so study religions. I can see that Christianity has around 80 or so different denominations, and that some of them hate the others. In Islam, they say there are 4 Sunni schools of thought and a few Shia ones.

It is unlikely that I will ever be Jewish, but I would like to learn enough about it to be reasonably mindful and courteous to those I encounter."

I'm sure Ms. Brown would appreciate any input, no matter where you stand on the Jewish spectrum, that would help guide to more knowledge and better understanding of Judaism and the different movements within it.
The are many movements, big R: Reform, Reconstructionist, Renewal, Jewish Atheist, Jewish Agnostic, Jewish Humanist. I guess thats it :)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator

Good thread, big R, lets kick this dead horse. So, whats new in denomination space ? Maybe RR can help ?