• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The true Gods

Tutankhheru

Cattle of Ra
I am new to the forum and it is nice to see other people who believe in the religion of the Ancient Egyptians.

I just became aware of a group called The Temple of Set. To me they sound like a group of Satanists that took our God Set and turned him into a character more like Apep. I understand that the Jews, christians and others have taken and adapted our religion but in my opinion this is rediculous. Apep is more like Satan than Set to me.

What do you all think?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Welcome to RF! I am sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I have talked to many Setians here on RF. They even have their own directory here. I don't see their view of Set to be disrespectful in any way. What is important is how you view Him. :)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think Setians don't see it as being disrespectful of Set. They consider Set like the ultimate power, the strong male, so to Set that wouldn't be disrespectful, but yes, it is a perversion of the Kemetic view. Also, I agree with Yona, I don't think Judaism and Kemeticism are that related.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I am new to the forum and it is nice to see other people who believe in the religion of the Ancient Egyptians.

I just became aware of a group called The Temple of Set. To me they sound like a group of Satanists that took our God Set and turned him into a character more like Apep. I understand that the Jews, christians and others have taken and adapted our religion but in my opinion this is rediculous. Apep is more like Satan than Set to me.

What do you all think?

The Temple of Set originally splintered off from the Church of Satan, and until recent years considered themselves a further development along the same path as LaVeyan Satanism.

EyeofOdin

As a heathen, I view set in a similar fashion to Loki.

Most heathens don't particularly like Loki and make him a Nordic Satan. I disagree entirely. This is an Abrahamic concept. Loki, I feel, is yes the breaker of worlds, but this is a necessary part of the cosmos. How can things live without death? How can we eat a hamburger without killing a cow?

Trickster and Chaotic deities seem to me like gods of change, transformation, chaos and ultimately rebirth, because it's in that rebirth where new life flourishes. A corps is full of life. Maggots, bacteria, fungi, scavengers etc. and plants live off of those corpses by way of the nutrients in the ground from that corps.