• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Star Trek Thread

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, what is life without Star Trek. What would be life if there was never any Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Commander/Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, or Captain Archer? This thread is dedicated to we nerds out there who LOVE Star Trek.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I grew up eating dinner with my dad at the coffee table while watching Star Trek and MASH.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
With the exception of the first year of my life, because it wasn't out yet, and I wouldn't have remembered anyways. The Next Generation is something I have watched throughout my entire life. I also like ToS. Though the only Star Trek that I do not like are the last two movies, Star Trek to me is TNG. That show may have been the beginning of my bias towards classically trained theatre actors, as it was a Royal Shakespearean actor who instilled in my mind, during my most formative and impressionable years, what good acting is. Without Captain Picard (with the 'i' pronounced as a long 'e.'), I may not have learned this, and instead of liking really good actors, like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugo Weaving, and David Tennant, I may have ended up turning to run of the mill Hollywood and TV flicks and learned to like lame interchangeable actors with no real soul, style, or sustenance. I may not have found this to be so delightful!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
TNG is one of my two favorite trek series. The other is DS9.

I rank TNG high for the actors as well as some utterly wonderful episodes such as the "Inner Light". And the writers really understood the Klingons especially in the later years. But none of the movies came up to "Star Trek IV" which to me is the best of all the movies.

DS9 I really liked for the plot. Running at the same time as my favorite, Babylon 5, the characters changed with time instead of a weekly "reset button" as other shows. And there were a couple of dynamite episodes such as the one where the Ferengi landed in Roswell ("Little Green Men") . And the one where Jake as an old man finally comes to terms with the death of his father "The Visitor".

Reactions: gsa

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Captain Kirk is clearly the best.
(Boinked more alien babes too.)
Shatner's acting was actually good at times.
But other times......well, we all know how bad he can be.

suncowiam

TNG is one of my two favorite trek series. The other is DS9.

I rank TNG high for the actors as well as some utterly wonderful episodes such as the "Inner Light". And the writers really understood the Klingons especially in the later years. But none of the movies came up to "Star Trek IV" which to me is the best of all the movies.

DS9 I really liked for the plot. Running at the same time as my favorite, Babylon 5, the characters changed with time instead of a weekly "reset button" as other shows. And there were a couple of dynamite episodes such as the one where the Ferengi landed in Roswell ("Little Green Men") . And the one where Jake as an old man finally comes to terms with the death of his father "The Visitor".

TNG was awesome and the most sci-fi of all the series.

DS9 was a soap opera in space but I still loved it.

I hope they make a new series soon.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think TNG was by far the best. I liked the chemistry between the characters. The Voyage Home was the best movie. the comedy was great.

Kirk: [Explaining Spock's odd behavior] Oh, him? He's harmless. Back in the sixties, he was part of the free speech movement at Berkeley. I think he did a little too much LDS.
Dr. Gillian Taylor: LDS?

Scotty: Computer! Computer?
[He's handed a mouse, and he speaks into it]
Scotty: Hello, computer.
Dr. Nichols: Just use the keyboard.
Scotty: Keyboard. How quaint.

Dr. Gillian Taylor: Do you guys like Italian?
Spock: No.
Kirk: Yes.
Kirk: [at Spock] No, Yes.
Kirk: Yes, I love Italian...
[looks at Spock]
Kirk: And so do you.
Spock: Yes.

Dr. Gillian Taylor: Sure you won't change your mind?
Spock: Is there something wrong with the one I have?

Courtesy of IMDB Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - Quotes - IMDb

Reactions: gsa

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yep, I didn't like DS9 at all. I didn't care the original series either.
For me it goes:
TNG
Voyager
Enterprise
ToS
And DS9 is last by default, but I would be OK not even including it on the list.
I'll go with ST & STTNG.
The others are all disposable.
We need a new one.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I liked Voyager, but DS9 seemed too "busy". I seem to recall there were too many story arcs going on at once or overlapping.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My favorite was TOS, I started with it during the late 70s in reruns (I watched it as a small child but I barely remember it). I like TNG and Voyager. DS9 is OK. I never got into Enterprise all that much. I liked the movies: My favorites being IV (The Voyage Home), VI (The Undiscovered Country) and VIII (First Contact).

Flankerl

While I don't really care about Star Trek I have to say that the new Movies are beyond horrible and look like take place in an Apple Shop.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Star Trek originals: I seem to remember one of my favorite stories was one where some people had sped up their metabolisms and were living on the Enterprise, and they went undetected for months. They were so fast that no one could see them! Also none of them were overweight.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Come to think of it, Star Trek is one of the very few things my family actually all agrees on and doesn't argue about. It can lighten the mood much more than what even Christmas can do.

suncowiam

Yep, I didn't like DS9 at all. I didn't care the original series either.
For me it goes:
TNG
Voyager
Enterprise
ToS
And DS9 is last by default, but I would be OK not even including it on the list.

I'll go with ST & STTNG.
The others are all disposable.
We need a new one.

Enterprise was way too hollywood. It was pushing sex appeal in the first episode.

Here's an article on ST. It actually suggested that DS9 was the best series.

How to save Star Trek: Make it the True Detective of science fiction - Vox

I liked Voyager, but DS9 seemed too "busy". I seem to recall there were too many story arcs going on at once or overlapping.

Yeah. Towards the end, DS9 was very busy. It had to close various relationships and a huge war arc. I can imagine how hard it would be for folks joining in the middle of the series.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'Save' Star Trek? ha ha ha. Its not going to appeal to everyone. Some people will always be trekless, and all we can do for them is try to have empathy.