• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The shingles vaccine; yes or no?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The doctor seemed to be promoting it so I thought to ask him, "have you gotten it?". He said, "not yet, good question". and we laughed.

lukethethird

unknown member
The shingle vaccine is not covered by medical insurance because it does not work, at least that's what my doctor told me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The doctor seemed to be promoting it so I thought to ask him, "have you gotten it?". He said, "not yet, good question". and we laughed.

Recently had shingles for the first time. Im 48 so not had the vaccination. I am considering asking the doctor.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I was thinking about it because if it you still get the shingles after being vaccinated it might not be as bad; I've known some people who have gotten horrible painful cases of shingles.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was thinking about it because if it you still get the shingles after being vaccinated it might not be as bad; I've known some people who have gotten horrible painful cases of shingles.
It needs a better name though.
A roofing material?
Nah.
How about "Dastardly flesh excrucirot"?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are two kinds of vaccine. The older one, Zostavax, is not very effective. The new one, Shingrix, is much more effective. I got the older one and the first dose of the new one. I plan on getting the second dose of the new one in spite of some annoying but short-lived side effects. Shingles drives people nuts and I want to do what I can to avoid it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Isn't shingles a type of measles?
Herpes. Like chickenpox.

But it can be ghastly in rare cases. I once spent some days in the Oral and Plastic (don't laugh) ward of Roehampton hospital (for a small op on my tongue), in which there was a man who was having his entire face rebuilt after shingles. He looked like something out of a horror movie. But then they rearranged the pieces on his face and he just looked ugly. Apparently he was going to need several more sessions of surgery to get him back to near normal.

silvermoon383

It’s a variation of chicken pox. My understanding (consult a doctor for real data) is that if you get chicken pox like I did (caught it just 1 year before that vaccine became availabe) the virus goes dormant in your spine after the symptoms fade. Then, years later, the dormant virus emerges and goes after the nerves. I don’t think it does damage to them don’t quote me on that), but since your nerves themselves are enflamed it hurts like hell (this I can attest to.)

After I came down with shingles last year I asked the doctor if getting the vaccine would be with it and he said no, but only because having the shingles will protect me forthe next several years as is. That was before the latest version though, so maybe I should ask again....

Altfish

Veteran Member
Herpes. Like chickenpox.

But it can be ghastly in rare cases. I once spent some days in the Oral and Plastic (don't laugh) ward of Roehampton hospital (for a small op on my tongue), in which there was a man who was having his entire face rebuilt after shingles. He looked like something out of a horror movie. But then they rearranged the pieces on his face and he just looked ugly. Apparently he was going to need several more sessions of surgery to get him back to near normal.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to downplay it. I have a friend who suffers from it.
But my logic was if there was a successful vacine for measles, then one for shingles would seem possible.

Treks

Yeah I thought you gotta have chicken pox before you can get shingles? Maybe the vaccine prevents the virus from being re-activated. I wonder if they can use such a vaccine on other forms of herpes virus then?

Notanumber

A Free Man
I had shingles on my scalp and left eye last summer. I was diagnosed early and was given an anti-viral.

I remember my mother having it on her scalp and she suffered terribly.

I presume modern drugs are much more effective and I was probably lucky that I didn’t suffer to the same extent.

I wouldn’t have a shingles vaccination or another flu jab after the last and only time that I’ve had one.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sorry, I wasn't trying to downplay it. I have a friend who suffers from it.
But my logic was if there was a successful vacine for measles, then one for shingles would seem possible.
Oh no I wasn't thinking you were making of light of it. It was simply a worst case example from my own experience - one I think is extremely rare. A vaccine against it would be a great blessing, if it really works.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Some info from Oxford University Vaccine Knowledge project:

In December 2017 Public Health England published an evaluation of the first three years of the shingles vaccination programme in England (up to August 2016). This showed that the shingles vaccine was 62% effective against shingles and 70 to 88% effective against post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) in this period. Public Health England estimates that there were 17000 fewer GP consultations for shingles than expected in this 3-year period.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some info from Oxford University Vaccine Knowledge project:

In December 2017 Public Health England published an evaluation of the first three years of the shingles vaccination programme in England (up to August 2016). This showed that the shingles vaccine was 62% effective against shingles and 70 to 88% effective against post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) in this period. Public Health England estimates that there were 17000 fewer GP consultations for shingles than expected in this 3-year period.
I see it is available on the NHS to people over 70. I wonder why. Presumably it must be that reactivation of the virus is more likely in the old. Ah well, another treat in store.......