• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Atheists: "Communists aren't atheists" and its wider social implications

That is a really intresting point. I remember from watching a video that modern scientific research on genetics and biodiversity tends to focus work in the lab, but ignores the knowledge of local tribes in north america. It is also the case that scientific research (at least in the media) can tell us things we already know but haven't tested. It is wrong to dismiss what has gone before, but sorting out what could be useful and what isn't would be hard.

I also think that people overestimate the role of 'science' in many areas of life. What counts as a 'scientific' discovery? People invented the wheel without understanding the physics behind it, the science just tells people why it works, the person who invented it just knew that it did work.

Often things are discovered by accident or based on hunches and instincts. Penicillin was discovered by accident, many other things were created by people who just knew that something would work, rather than why it would work.

I once watched a programme about modern engineers trying to create medieval siege weapons, such as trebuchets. With all their modern equipment, computer modelling and scientific knowledge, they couldn't create a trebuchet that was even a quarter as good as the ones built 1000 years ago. Alternatively, no one can build a violin as good a a Stradivarius, and no one even knows what his secret was. People discover things through experience, trial and error and this knowledge is passed down. Practical knowledge was transmitted through things such as guilds based on practice rather than theory - the why things work is much less important than the fact that they do work.

Dismissing knowledge gained through experience as intrinsically 'inferior' to scientific knowledge is wrong, as is the idea that we have all of these great modern things because of 'science'.

The question as to whether social science can ever be as good as natural science in terms of reliability is an important one. For social science to be accurate, it means that consciousness can be scientifically studied as an objective phenemenoa rather than a subjective experience. (So it's closely related to 'scientific materialism' in that regard).
I'm going to agree with you that there is often an irrational component to the belief in the superiority of science, but in so far as the superiority of the method can be established because it is a superior way of having knowledge which we can use to make the world serve our interests and our needs. this does not mean it is infallible however, and that is something that needs to be taken into account.

In many situations when we learn something new (watch TV news, read an academic article, learn from experience, etc.) we pick up both knowledge and anti-knowledge.

There is probably an actual word for anti-knowledge but I don't know it so I'm going to use this phrase. Knowledge is when we learn something true/useful anti knowledge is when we learn something that is wrong/harmful under the mistaken impression that it is in fact knowledge.

Watch 1 hour of breaking news on a 24 hour news station about a major terrorist attack. You will pick up so much false information and speculation that your understanding will probably be less than that of someone who is simply told 'there has been a major terrorist attack'. Time is a very good filter of anti-knowledge; someone who reads every newspaper article the day after the terrorist attack, will know less that somebody who reads a single newspaper article 1 month after the terrorist attack.

So in order of utility we have:

1. Knowledge
2. Know nothing
3. Anti-knowledge

For the sake of brevity, I'm just going to focus on a generalised concept of anti-knowledge that is worse than knowing nothing.

A field of enquiry needs to be evaluated not just on its successes, with its failures being discounted as errors and mistakes that 'we'll get right next time', it need to be evaluated in terms of its record of creating knowledge versus anti-knowledge. We lack the cognitive skills to identify the differences until the harms become apparent so we have to evaluate in a positive sense rather than a normative one.

I would argue that many aspects of social science (and some other areas or 'science) generate such an amount of anti-knowledge that it is frequently better to know nothing. Economics is a good example of this. There are even examples of economists blaming real life for not acting in the way that their model had suggest it should. Reality was wrong, not their theory!

In many of these fields a practitioner who relies on judgement, experience and instinct ("unscientific') is far better informed than an 'academic expert' who relies on "scientific" models and theories. The "expert" is often less informed even than the man on the street who is not blinded to reality by normative theories and explanations.

Never mind being as reliable as natural science, I'm not convinced social science can be as reliable as knowing nothing.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
the science just tells people why it works, the person who invented it just knew that it did work.
Often things are discovered by accident or based on hunches and instincts. Penicillin was discovered by accident, many other things were created by people who just knew that something would work, rather than why it would work.
Good points
Regards

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for you honesty. One last go. If I don't get it this time, I will just have to give up.

I remember there were at least two threads on RF that dealt with the subject of "atheist terrorism". Many people here felt that there was such a thing as atheist terrorism as an eqivilent to "religious terrorism". However, when ever this has come up the atheists here have used the "atheism is lack of belief" argument to say that athiests are not capable of terrorism or that atheism does not provide motivation for terrorism. This much is true.

The situation is different with Communism. When the subject of atheism and ethics comes up, religious people use communism to demonstrate that atheists are capable of violence with the implication that atheists have their own set of ethical problems. Atheists often say "religion is evil" because they hold it to be responsible for wars, perseuction,witch-hunts, suppression of scientific enquiry, etc. Communists perpetrated some of the worst acts of violence against human beings in the 20th century. However, the response is ussually "communists killed because they were communist not their atheism". This is at best a technicality and nothing more.

Religious people have tried to equate atheism and immorality for a long time, and often do so with the "atheist atrocity fallacy" in which Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol pot names are dropped as evidence of an association. Hitler is not an athiest and therefore does not count. But all the other three are atheists.

If you watch the three videos in the OP you will find that Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins effectively deny that communists were atheists to avoid the atheist atrocity fallacy.

"Communism was kind like another religion." (Sam Harris, 0:32)

"Atheism had nothing to do with Hitler or Stalin. Stalin was an atheist, Hitler was not, it doesn't matter what they were with respect to atheism. they did their horrible things for entirely different reasons." (Richard Dawkins, 1:16)

By saying that Communists behaved like religious people, or adhered to a dogma, or had previously adhered to religious beliefs (as Hitchens does with stalin), they entirely dodge the question as to atheists capacity for violence and the ethical implications that raises. this position has become common currency against atheists, so that they are free to say that religion caused wars, dictatorships, persecuted people, etc, whereas when religious people reply "what about communism?"; atheists say, "well communism was a religion" anf then proceed to compare communism to religion as a way of further pinning the responsibility of violence onto religious people.

The implication therefore is that it is not enough for Communists to profess atheism to be considered atheists and that other values play a role in defining atheism. What I would say, is that these additional values are politically liberal.

"you see, where I'm going with this. that's not secularism." (Hitchens, 0:58)

"In surrogate, it is at the very best and the very worst the examples I've been talking about are a surrogate for messianism, for the belief in ultimate history and the ends of days and conclusion of all things is, I've tried to argue, I hope with some success, the problem to begin with; the replacement of reason by faith." (Hitchens: 1:09).

"If Dr Mcgryath or anyone else can come up with an example of a society which had fallen into slavery and bankcruptcy and beggary and terror and misery because they had adopted the teachings of and precepts of Spinoza and Einstein and Pier Bile and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine, then I'd be impressed and that would be a fair test on a level playing field but you will find no such example.In fact the nearest such example we do have is these great United States; the first country in the world to have a constitution that forbids the mention of religion in the public square, except by way of limiting it and saying that the state can take in establishment of faith." (Hitchens, 1:43)

"This is not a circumstances where people have suffered because of too much reason or too much scepticism. There is no society that I know of that has suffered from being too reasonable." (Harris)

Communists do not qualify as "an example of a society which had fallen into slavery and bankcruptcy and beggary and terror and misery" because they are not Secular. because Communists are not secular- they therefore behave like religious people- and therefore do not qualify as atheists. In other words, the New Athiests have dodged the question by implying that communists aren't real atheists because they are not secular and do not adhere to liberal political values.

In other words, the largest political movement of atheists to establish an atheist state is excluded from the definition of atheism because it didn't produce a secular society based on liberal principles that the state should be neutral in matters of faith and allow the individual the liberty to chose their own beliefs (or lack of). This means that by politicising the definition of athiesm, atheists are free to attribute just about every evil under the sun to religion and the single biggest experiment in state atheism doesn't count.

"...and usrubius is worried that now I'm basically using religion to subsume everything that human beings do thats bad. No. The issue is dogmatism. The issue is strong conviction without evidence and conviction that is shared by the mob so that hatred of jews say, take the holocaust as an example. passionate belief. pasionate belief that moves millions to act or to demonise the other based on bad argument and bad evidence. A willing to accept these convictions without argument, without evidence; that's the intrinsic problem and thats the problem which is unussally present in the context of religion. but it's not only in a religious context. So dogmatism is the things I'm arguing against and there are political dogmas. which it's not by accident begin to take on some of the character of religions when you put them in place." (Harris)

"So, to say that these are the product of atheism; it's another reason why this word atheism is not especially useful because as a label it begins to confuse people. so, ok, they think that well stalin was an atheist, so now, now atheism is just as bad as religion. well, no. we're not. the criticism of religion is not the mere advocacy of atheism as an identity. the criticism against religion is because there is no evidence for these core beliefs." (Harris)

Communism is commonly considered a form of dogmatism because of philosophical materialism. This is because it assumes that there can only be natural explanations to pheneomena and therefore turns science into an inherently atheist ideology, rather than being a method of enquiry based on scepticism. So whilst atheism isn't necessarily naturalistic or materialist position because communism is considered a 'dogma' it is not considered "atheism" in the sense the "new athiests" describe. It is only the fact that people like Harris, Hitchens etc, has tried to re-define atheism to excluded communism that they don't have to deal with the ethical questions it raises as communism is not "atheism".

My point is that the ethical questions raised by atheist atrocities should be taken seriously and atheism should not be re-defined to fit liberal, secular standards but that communists can be recognised as atheists. Most importantly, religious people deserve an answer to the question as to atheism and ethics that includes communism. it would be the start of a really good dialogue between theists and atheists and one they need to have to recognise each others concerns.

Plus. it be nice if these liberals stop telling me how religious I am for not believing in god. it's really annoying.
Interesting discussion. The problem occurs because in all these cases the proper contrast to atheism is generic theism, not a particular religion like Christianity. A generic theism can allow for any moral system whatsoever (via divine command), similarly a generic atheism can be associated with any moral point of view. If such a debate is done, it should focus on only the ontology and epistemology associated with evaluating whether a generic theism or a generic atheism is more likely or not. Unfortunately, the debaters like to cater to the pro-Christian/anti-Christian bias of their audience by getting either Christianity and or Communism and its moral behavior through the back door. If morality is to be debated, one needs to compare a specific form of atheism to a specific form of theism that does make positive or negative claims about ethics. The tendency to say the forms of theism or atheism you do not like is not really theism/atheism (Christians had often said this and New Atheists have recently joined in) is hypocritical subterfuge.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I remember there were at least two threads on RF that dealt with the subject of "atheist terrorism". Many people here felt that there was such a thing as atheist terrorism as an eqivilent to "religious terrorism". However, when ever this has come up the atheists here have used the "atheism is lack of belief" argument to say that athiests are not capable of terrorism or that atheism does not provide motivation for terrorism. This much is true.
Please name the threads.
Regards

Random

Tikkun Olam. Repair the world, construction for eternity, secular perfection. What does that sound like? Communism? Yes. Kabbalah? Originally, but with a different meaning than it has now thanks to liberalism. Oh, and New Atheists are still relevant? LOL. Sam Harris? Gimme a break.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Wow, I missed this quote from way back in July. Oh well, better late than never...

I don't recall anyone claiming that "atheists are not capable of terrorism". If you can find a single example of that, I will be happy to disagree with it.

The situation is different with Communism. When the subject of atheism and ethics comes up, religious people use communism to demonstrate that atheists are capable of violence with the implication that atheists have their own set of ethical problems. Atheists often say "religion is evil" because they hold it to be responsible for wars, perseuction,witch-hunts, suppression of scientific enquiry, etc. Communists perpetrated some of the worst acts of violence against human beings in the 20th century. However, the response is ussually "communists killed because they were communist not their atheism". This is at best a technicality and nothing more.
But it is, in fact, actually true. It's no different to saying "the Spanish inquisition killed because of strict adherence to medieval Catholic orthodoxy rather than because of their 'theism'". There is nothing that is a "technicality" about this distinction - it is simply addressing where the ideological justification actually comes from. In general terms, 'theism' can't be said to be a direct source of an ideological justification for any action, because theism - just like atheism - is an extremely broad term that doesn't infer any ideological position other than belief in a God. It is therefore inaccurate to blame the actions of theists on their theism, just as it is inaccurate to imply that the actions of atheists have any broader implications for atheism in general.

Religious people have tried to equate atheism and immorality for a long time, and often do so with the "atheist atrocity fallacy" in which Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol pot names are dropped as evidence of an association. Hitler is not an athiest and therefore does not count. But all the other three are atheists.

If you watch the three videos in the OP you will find that Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins effectively deny that communists were atheists to avoid the atheist atrocity fallacy.

"Communism was kind like another religion." (Sam Harris, 0:32)

"Atheism had nothing to do with Hitler or Stalin. Stalin was an atheist, Hitler was not, it doesn't matter what they were with respect to atheism. they did their horrible things for entirely different reasons." (Richard Dawkins, 1:16)

By saying that Communists behaved like religious people, or adhered to a dogma, or had previously adhered to religious beliefs (as Hitchens does with stalin), they entirely dodge the question as to atheists capacity for violence and the ethical implications that raises.
Except neither of those quotes say what you are implying they are. Neither of them claim that Communists WEREN'T atheists, merely that atheism was not the ideological framework which provided the justification for their actions. That is true. Neither of them dodged the question about "atheists capacity for violence" because I very much doubt either of then would deny that atheists are capable of violent acts. If you are at least passingly familiar with their writing on the subject of atheism, you would understand that.

this position has become common currency against atheists, so that they are free to say that religion caused wars, dictatorships, persecuted people, etc, whereas when religious people reply "what about communism?"; atheists say, "well communism was a religion" anf then proceed to compare communism to religion as a way of further pinning the responsibility of violence onto religious people.
Aside from Harris, I rarely see Communism called a religion by atheists (and even Harris only stated it by means of comparison), and I never see atheists ever deny that there are non-religious justifications for wars, dictatorships and persecution. This is just a strawman.

The implication therefore is that it is not enough for Communists to profess atheism to be considered atheists and that other values play a role in defining atheism. What I would say, is that these additional values are politically liberal.

"you see, where I'm going with this. that's not secularism." (Hitchens, 0:58)

"In surrogate, it is at the very best and the very worst the examples I've been talking about are a surrogate for messianism, for the belief in ultimate history and the ends of days and conclusion of all things is, I've tried to argue, I hope with some success, the problem to begin with; the replacement of reason by faith." (Hitchens: 1:09).

"If Dr Mcgryath or anyone else can come up with an example of a society which had fallen into slavery and bankcruptcy and beggary and terror and misery because they had adopted the teachings of and precepts of Spinoza and Einstein and Pier Bile and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine, then I'd be impressed and that would be a fair test on a level playing field but you will find no such example.In fact the nearest such example we do have is these great United States; the first country in the world to have a constitution that forbids the mention of religion in the public square, except by way of limiting it and saying that the state can take in establishment of faith." (Hitchens, 1:43)

"This is not a circumstances where people have suffered because of too much reason or too much scepticism. There is no society that I know of that has suffered from being too reasonable." (Harris)

Communists do not qualify as "an example of a society which had fallen into slavery and bankcruptcy and beggary and terror and misery" because they are not Secular.
Hitchens didn't say that. He specifically said that there are no examples of societies that "had adopted the teachings of and precepts of Spinoza and Einstein and Pier Bile and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine" that had fallen into slavery, etc. Did Communist Russian follow those teachings and precepts?

because Communists are not secular- they therefore behave like religious people- and therefore do not qualify as atheists. In other words, the New Athiests have dodged the question by implying that communists aren't real atheists because they are not secular and do not adhere to liberal political values.
Again, in not a single quote you have provided have any of these people claimed that Communists "do not qualify that as atheists". "Not secular" doesn't mean "not atheist". "Religious" does not mean "not atheist". "Not liberal" does not mean "not atheist". None of these quotes make that connection - only you are. You are drastically overreaching in order to construct a strawman.

In other words, the largest political movement of atheists to establish an atheist state is excluded from the definition of atheism because it didn't produce a secular society based on liberal principles that the state should be neutral in matters of faith and allow the individual the liberty to chose their own beliefs (or lack of). This means that by politicising the definition of athiesm, atheists are free to attribute just about every evil under the sun to religion and the single biggest experiment in state atheism doesn't count.
Again, this is all coming from YOU, not THEM. So far, you have provided no quote from any of them that said anything even remotely implying that Communists weren't atheists, or "don't count", or that atheist values are necessarily liberal. You're hashing together a bunch of quotes and creating inferences out of thin air to try and construct a generalized "atheist worldview" that these people hold, but nothing you have provided even comes close to being evidence of that conclusion. None of them say what you are implying. The only one saying it is you.

"...and usrubius is worried that now I'm basically using religion to subsume everything that human beings do thats bad. No. The issue is dogmatism. The issue is strong conviction without evidence and conviction that is shared by the mob so that hatred of jews say, take the holocaust as an example. passionate belief. pasionate belief that moves millions to act or to demonise the other based on bad argument and bad evidence. A willing to accept these convictions without argument, without evidence; that's the intrinsic problem and thats the problem which is unussally present in the context of religion. but it's not only in a religious context. So dogmatism is the things I'm arguing against and there are political dogmas. which it's not by accident begin to take on some of the character of religions when you put them in place." (Harris)

"So, to say that these are the product of atheism; it's another reason why this word atheism is not especially useful because as a label it begins to confuse people. so, ok, they think that well stalin was an atheist, so now, now atheism is just as bad as religion. well, no. we're not. the criticism of religion is not the mere advocacy of atheism as an identity. the criticism against religion is because there is no evidence for these core beliefs." (Harris)

You're continuing to present quotes which do not support your assertions.

My point is that the ethical questions raised by atheist atrocities should be taken seriously and atheism should not be re-defined to fit liberal, secular standards but that communists can be recognised as atheists.
Good, because nobody is doing either of those things.

Most importantly, religious people deserve an answer to the question as to atheism and ethics that includes communism. it would be the start of a really good dialogue between theists and atheists and one they need to have to recognise each others concerns.
We've had these dialogues, and they inevitably go only one way: people accuse atheism of being immoral because of Communism, it is repeatedly explained that Communism cannot be said to be a reflection of atheism because atheism does not carry with it any inherent ideological framework from which to construct such a position, and that is either accepted or stubbornly refused until there is no longer any point in discussing it.

mindlight

See in the dark
I have only recently seen anyone claim the Nazis were atheists. Where does that claim originate from?

There are lots of different ways of assessing the contribution of atheistic thought to Nazism. For example Nietzsche supplied concepts like the will to power, the masters and the slaves, the uebermensch. Hitlers Table Talk and indeed Mein Kampf have very little to do with Catholicism and are more akin to a belief in destiny combined with a lot of racism and a strong dose of Nietszche.

Last edited:

mindlight

See in the dark
I think atheism combined with liberalism and evolutionism is the dominant form today because of the failure of alternate forms of atheism like Russian Communism, Nietzscheanism, Maoism. Indeed the rise of Christianity at the expense of atheism in its old heartlands of China and Russia testifies against its viability versus a religious based view of reality.

Hitchens didn't say that. He specifically said that there are no examples of societies that "had adopted the teachings of and precepts of Spinoza and Einstein and Pier Bile and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine" that had fallen into slavery, etc.

Hitchens utilised such precepts to justify invading Iraq.

Basically, a 'messianic' belief in redemptive violence in support of a universal faith of Western liberalism.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Hitchens utilised such precepts to justify invading Iraq.

Basically, a 'messianic' belief in redemptive violence in support of a universal faith of Western liberalism.
Well, you'd have to provide evidence of that, but whether he did or didn't doesn't really have any impact on my argument. I've never entirely agreed with Hitchens' political views myself (or those of Harris), but that's an entirely separate subject.

Well, you'd have to provide evidence of that, but whether he did or didn't doesn't really have any impact on my argument. I've never entirely agreed with Hitchens' political views myself (or those of Harris), but that's an entirely separate subject.

You mentioned:

societies that "had adopted the teachings of and precepts of Spinoza and Einstein and Pier Bile and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine" that had fallen into slavery, etc.

I was simply giving an example of such views being used to justify wars of aggression, secular humanist jihad really (as that's what neo-cons advocated).

I wasn't dealing with the entirety of your post as you completely misunderstood and misrepresented @Laika 's argument anyway. He can correct you on that if he feels like it.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You mentioned:

societies that "had adopted the teachings of and precepts of Spinoza and Einstein and Pier Bile and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine" that had fallen into slavery, etc.

I was simply giving an example of such views being used to justify wars of aggression, secular humanist jihad really (as that's what neo-cons advocated).
How was the war in Iraq justified by the precepts of Spinoza, Einstein, Pier Bile, Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Pain? Also, what does a war of aggression (which I'm pretty sure Hitchens' didn't believe it to be - he saw it as a war of liberation) have to do with "a society which had fallen into slavery and bankcruptcy and beggary and terror and misery"?

I wasn't dealing with the entirety of your post as you completely misunderstood and misrepresented @Laika 's argument anyway. He can correct you on that if he feels like it.
What did I misunderstand or misrepresent, exactly? If you're going to make a claim, support it.

How was the war in Iraq justified by the precepts of Spinoza, Einstein, Pier Bile, Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Pain?

Are you completely unfamiliar with neo-con ideology? If so, have a quick read up on it. If not, you should understand the point.

Also, what does a war of aggression (which I'm pretty sure Hitchens' didn't believe it to be - he saw it as a war of liberation)

And why was it a war of liberation? (see neo-con ideology)

It should be noted that ideological wars are generally seen as wars of liberation, you kill them for their own benefit (see IS)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

have to do with "a society which had fallen into slavery and bankcruptcy and beggary and terror and misery"?

Spreading terror and misery surely counts towards this, or is this ok as long as you don't do it to your own?

What did I misunderstand or misrepresent, exactly? If you're going to make a claim, support it.

He can do that if he likes; it was his argument. I was just pointing out that you misunderstood and misrepresented it.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
And why was it a war of liberation? (see neo-con ideology)
Because he viewed Saddam's regime as oppressive?

It should be noted that ideological wars are generally seen as wars of liberation, you kill them for their own benefit (see IS)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Which is why, as I said earlier, I don't entirely agree with Hitchen's views. The only reason I brought it up in the first place was to correct a mis-characterization of Hitchens' statement that Laika made.

Spreading terror and misery surely counts towards this, or is this ok as long as you don't do it to your own?
So do you believe that there can never be justification for any kind of war?

He can do that if he likes; it was his argument. I was just pointing out that you misunderstood and misrepresented it.
No, you didn't point it out. You just claimed it. "Pointing it out" entails indicating in what way I did so. You're taking the more intellectually lazy route and just claiming it without feeling required to justify it.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't recall anyone claiming that "atheists are not capable of terrorism". If you can find a single example of that, I will be happy to disagree with it.

There is a whole thread dedicated to that: http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/atheist-terrorism.177991/#post-4335472

We've had these dialogues, and they inevitably go only one way: people accuse atheism of being immoral because of Communism, it is repeatedly explained that Communism cannot be said to be a reflection of atheism because atheism does not carry with it any inherent ideological framework from which to construct such a position, and that is either accepted or stubbornly refused until there is no longer any point in discussing it.

I'm deeply reluctant to be drawn back into one of these discussions because of how bad my experience was in the past year. My views have "evolved" as a way to cope with the intensity of the disagreements. The argument you have presented is based on asserting a definition of atheism as "lack of belief" or as you put it "atheism does not carry with it any inherent ideological framework from which to construct a position".

There are much deeper issues at work here than a simple conflict over morals and definitions. There are very different kinds of atheism based on different methodologies and Epistemologies (understandings of knowledge and truth). Myself and @Augustus probably share a very different understanding of what atheism is to the rest of the forum, as we share a history of taking anti-theist and anti-religious positions. However, most people here would contend- as you do- that "atheism does not carry with it any inherent ideological framework".

The question is "who has the burden of proof?" and "what is proof" and this is where it breaks down:

The "weak atheists" who assert that atheism is "lack of belief" will take this discussion into the realm of linguistics, using the terminological make-up of atheism as a justification for their view. The problem with this view is that it is asserted as the "only" definition of atheism, as a pure and eternal meaning which is true at all places and at all times, thereby meaning that many members exclude any form of atheism that does not fit this definition. consequently, this is a highly selective view with a built in set of moral perscriptions about what atheism is and can be.

The "strong atheists" will however look for the meaning of atheism based on it's philosophical and historical traditions. It is a historical fact that Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot were atheists. It is also a well established historical fact that the Marquis De Sade and Fredrich Nietzsche were atheists, who fundamentally challanged the moral nature of society because they rejected god's existence and therefore the ethics of a christian world. This method of defining atheism is a reflection of the materialist view that man created god; it follows that man also created words- and therefore their meaning must be sought in it's assocations and not just the abstract.

I concede there is actually a third group of mystical and religious atheists (an existentialist is the best example), who use intitution as a means to gain "knowledge" of human experience and their atheism- but they are few and far between on RF (though I have dabbled occassionally). There were a handful of them amongst Communist ranks, known as the "god-builders" , but were disowned by the Marxist orthodoxy, which is why I know they exist.

I've had this discussion many times in the past year and my experience firmly establishes that "civil" debate is largely impossible on this subject because of how deep the differences are and how mutually blind each side is to the other position. this is really an "inter-atheist" holy war over what is the "true" atheism and I'm happy to "agree to disagree" and "co-exist" with other atheists on the forum. In practice discussing this subject is an invitation to open forum warfare in which one side tries to enforce their definition- and by implication their identity- on the other. simply because the "weak" atheists out number the "strong" atheists on the forum- they win. its actually really deeply hurtful when the mask of rationality slips and you realise that people are simply too disgusted to accept the "immorality" of your views as part of the club, nor are they willing to be honest about how intensely they dislike the "dark" side of atheism. instead they hide behind the definition and try to erase everything you believe from existence by refusing to recognise you even exist. it makes me pretty deeply angry and is one of the few subjects where I have "lost it" online. even as I'm writing this I am already simmering, so I'm just going to politely let you take the conversation from here and see where it goes.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think atheism combined with liberalism and evolutionism is the dominant form today because of the failure of alternate forms of atheism like Russian Communism, Nietzscheanism, Maoism.

I don't think there was ever a politically succesful Nietzsche-based regime, and Communism and Maoism have failed mainly because they were far too authoritarian and therefore self-contradictory for their own good. They are inherently fragile and doomed to failure.

Atheism proper is quite the different beast. The biological theory of evolution is almost as solid, albeit for entirely different reasons. You are lumping together very different things.

Indeed the rise of Christianity at the expense of atheism in its old heartlands of China and Russia testifies against its viability versus a religious based view of reality.

That is an entirely different can of worms, or rather two very different cans.

Personally I attribute it in Russia to the inevitable reaction to the repression against Orthodox Christianity, and in China to the ethically questionable proselitism of Christianity.

Also, I don't think it is fair nor enlightening to confuse Christianity with religion.

Nor is it at all clear what you mean by "viability of atheism".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@Laika, I am sorry to drag you back to this, but since the clarification will have to be made at some point:

"Weak" and "strong" atheism, despite superficial emotional associations, are not traditionally differentiated by any measures of motivation or meaning.

Weak atheism is a simple absence of belief in God, while strong atheism is the claim that God does not exist. That is all there is to it.

Ideologies and doctrines that may include atheism either accidentally or as a design parameter of course exist, but they are not atheism proper.

Even my dear anti-theism is not atheism proper. Nor is post-theism. Nor is communism. Nor is secular humanism.

All of those go far beyond atheism and have their own goals and ideologies. Not all of those are compatible or even on speaking terms with each other. Secular humanism and communism, particularly, are very much at odds with each other.