• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The multivitamin vs cognitive aging

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From Science Daily:

By 2060, according to the Alzheimer's Association, nearly one in four Americans will be in an age bracket at elevated risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease unless interventions can help preserve cognitive function before deficits begin. The COcoa Supplement and Multivitamin Outcomes Study (COSMOS) is a large-scale, nationwide, randomized trial rigorously testing cocoa extract and multivitamin supplements directed by researchers at Mass General Brigham. Two previously published studies of cognition in COSMOS suggested a positive effect for a daily multivitamin. COSMOS researchers now report the results of a third study of cognition in COSMOS, which focused on participants who underwent in-person assessments, together with the results of a combined analysis from the three separate studies. The results from this latest report confirm consistent and statistically significant benefits of a daily multivitamin versus placebo for both memory and global cognition. Results are published today in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

I'm posting this primarily as a public service announcement.

( Now, if I can only remember where I put those pills, ... )

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Recent research shows that multi-vitamins
can elevate the risk of cancer. Tis best to
discuss this with one's personal physician,
& especially with one's oncologists.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
From Science Daily:

By 2060, according to the Alzheimer's Association, nearly one in four Americans will be in an age bracket at elevated risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease unless interventions can help preserve cognitive function before deficits begin. The COcoa Supplement and Multivitamin Outcomes Study (COSMOS) is a large-scale, nationwide, randomized trial rigorously testing cocoa extract and multivitamin supplements directed by researchers at Mass General Brigham. Two previously published studies of cognition in COSMOS suggested a positive effect for a daily multivitamin. COSMOS researchers now report the results of a third study of cognition in COSMOS, which focused on participants who underwent in-person assessments, together with the results of a combined analysis from the three separate studies. The results from this latest report confirm consistent and statistically significant benefits of a daily multivitamin versus placebo for both memory and global cognition. Results are published today in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

I'm posting this primarily as a public service announcement.

( Now, if I can only remember where I put those pills, ... )
Presumably studies control for diet? A lifetime of orange food is just asking for trouble.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what that means.
IMG_7275.jpeg

exchemist

Veteran Member
Presumably studies control for diet? A lifetime of orange food is just asking for trouble.
I note that, bizarrely, cocoa extract is mentioned. Could this mean all we need do is eat a bit of dark chocolate every day?

But more seriously I agree, it is very unclear which elements of these “multivitamin” preparations are responsible and whether the benefit depends, as one might expect, on whether an individual’s diet has particular deficiencies. I’d want to see a lot more analysis of the factors responsible before I start popping pills.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I take a multivitamin. I add this experience:

I feel certain I have benefited from taking Omega 3 with a lot of DHA and EPA. Some people here may recall the years I posted in this forum and was unemployed and not interested in working. I began taking this supplement and experienced a changed mind. It was a tiny thing, but I believe this led to my return to the workforce.

Some links about it:

Code:
https://www.medicinenet.com/who_should_not_take_fish_oil/article.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3262608/#:~:text=EPA%20and%20DHA%20may%20affect,with%20very%20mild%20Alzheimer's%20disease.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/omega-3

It takes a couple of months for the benefits of Omega 3 supplements to become fully effective, so if you want to try this supplement give it some time. Do a little reading and make sure its not going to cause you problems. I take it twice a day.