• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most amazing animal?

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is not about which animal you like the most, but rather which one you consider the most amazing in regard to its capabilities. (Humans not allowed :D)

For me, I think it will be the octopus. Besides its crazy ability to change color, it is probably also the animal that demonstrates the closest thing to being intelligent that there is, despite having evolved in a completely different direction than us.

What animal do you think is the most amazing?
When I saw the title of the thread the first animal that occurred to me was the octopus. Amazing to think it is a mollusc, like mussels and clams.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Thumbs up with the list so far. I'd add:

- parrots (we have a 1 ounce parrotlet that's the smartest animal on the farm)
- dolphins and whales
- beavers

- sea squirts - I've been studying motor skill acquisition for the last 3 or 4 years. The current view is that our brains and spinal chords and nerves are all one system that controls movement. The sea squirt starts life as an animal that swims around looking for a place to live. Once it finds a spot it attaches itself and then absorbs its brain since it will never need to move again. So it might be safe to say that brains developed in life forms that decided to move about.

wellwisher

Another amazing animal are domestic dogs, especially the herding dogs. A herding dog has to be trilingual, understand human, dog and sheep. They also understand the concept of the chain of command, and can be left alone to deal with complex problems even with living critters.

I used to have a Belgian Malinois, called Proton, who understood chain of command, based on the situation. This breed is often used for Military and Civilian K-9, but they were originally bred to be herding dogs. Proton came from a breeder who was a AKC American Confirmation Champion. Proton's dad; Brutus, was the only dog in the history of that breed, to reach the level of Platinum level Grand Champion. Proton was smart and pretty with his show dog fur and his innate herding instincts per breed standards.

I trained him to be more of a service dog. If I was a little tipsy from drinking he would treat me as his sheep and try to keep me steady. But if it all was fine, he was ready for me to give him orders and things to do. On funny thing he would do, was if I was doing push-ups, he would think I was trying to get up and could not, so he crawl under men and then try to lift me to my feet. He was good at improvising.

I bought that dog as a puppy to help me care for my elderly parents years ago. They were on each other's nerves and I thought a puppy would give them a pleasant distraction. It worked. My mother had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and as the dog grew, he would look out for them. His role changed as the Alzheimers got worse, with him adapting by himself. My training for him was to encourage his instincts, instead of trying to micromanage with tricks and order. The only order I taught him was "all done". This meant whatever he or we were doing was done and time to change to something new. He could stop anything on a dime and pivot. He could adapt to new situations using his herding instincts for care.

One phase of Alzheimers causes the person to get angry and even violent. One day a visiting nurse came in my parents home to see my mother. She told me the dog was protecting my father from my mother, while not hurting either. My mother was afraid to hurt the dog so she stopped if the dog interceded.

As her condition got worse, there is a stage where people will wander out of the house and get lost. This happened one day with the dog following her out and then walking with her off leash. He was good off leash so this worked out. That was his call. A neighbor called the police to help her. The dog stay with her and then peacefully surrendered her to the police, so they could help. After that I was good with the police, since they had the same breed for their K-9 dogs. I could even get away with walking him off leash in public parks since they assumed we were training and socializing. It was more the dog than me.

His last major adaption was as things got really advanced, and there was a constant stream of people coming and going; home aids, nurses, doctor, insurance, elder services, the dog became the gate keeper. I would have to leave the door unlocked, while at work, so all the people could come and go. My parents may not hear the door. I would introduce news visitors to the dog, once, so he could smell them, as their pass key. After that he would hear the door, greet and smell the person and then disappear upstairs. Although K-9 looking, he was well liked because he was calm and quiet and did not try to over manage the situation.

This is not about which animal you like the most, but rather which one you consider the most amazing in regard to its capabilities. (Humans not allowed :D)

For me, I think it will be the octopus. Besides its crazy ability to change color, it is probably also the animal that demonstrates the closest thing to being intelligent that there is, despite having evolved in a completely different direction than us.

Octopuses are truly amazing creatures. With their eight flexible limbs and changeable coloration, they move with such fluid grace underwater. It's incredible that these sea animals are considered among the most intelligent invertebrates. Their problem-solving and escape abilities are astonishing. I read about one that unscrewed a jar to get food! Their camouflage skills are unparalleled too - they blend into any environment seemingly by magic. As a lover of the ocean, I'm in awe of these gentle, clever octopuses. They remind us that beauty and intelligence can come in unexpected forms. No wonder they've captured people's imaginations! The octopus is truly a wonder of the natural world.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Naked mole rats and beehives are interesting organisms.
Some of the slime molds are pretty interesting, though you might not consider them animals.

Nimos

Octopuses are truly amazing creatures. With their eight flexible limbs and changeable coloration, they move with such fluid grace underwater. It's incredible that these sea animals are considered among the most intelligent invertebrates. Their problem-solving and escape abilities are astonishing. I read about one that unscrewed a jar to get food! Their camouflage skills are unparalleled too - they blend into any environment seemingly by magic. As a lover of the ocean, I'm in awe of these gentle, clever octopuses. They remind us that beauty and intelligence can come in unexpected forms. No wonder they've captured people's imaginations! The octopus is truly a wonder of the natural world.
I saw this video of someone "testing" them, it is pretty amazing what they can do and how they function :) (Have a happy ending)

flowerpower

https://www.bbcearth.com/news/seven-animals-who-mate-for-life

Wolves – Power couples​

In a grey wolf pack, it is usually only the male and female alpha who are allowed to breed, The pair mate for life as a way to cement their position as pack leaders, producing a new litter each year and ensuring the stability of the rest of the pack. As explained by David W. Macdonald et al in Monogamy: Cause, Consequence, or Corollary of Success in Wild Canids , monogamy makes it easier for alphas to display their strength and superiority over the other male members of the pack. Defending one mate against advances is much easier than trying to protect numerous partners, assuring their place as top dog.

-----

I do like animals that value monogamy as much as me.

And dogs are my favourite animal.

Wolves seem like they have a lion-like hierarchy which is pretty cool, except they're canines, which is cooler still.

There's a lot of coolness about wolves.

I dunno. This probably wouldn't isn't the most thoughtful reply to this thread but if I could have a pet wolf, I would. And if I could be a non-human animal, it'd probably be a wolf or a fox.

Nimos

There's a lot of coolness about wolves.

I dunno. This probably wouldn't isn't the most thoughtful reply to this thread but if I could have a pet wolf, I would. And if I could be a non-human animal, it'd probably be a wolf or a fox.
Wolves are my favorite animal and I agree, a wolf wouldn't be a bad choice they seem to take rather good care of each other :D

But in terms of abilities or "features" I don't think they are amongst the most amazing animals.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

The Honey Badger.... because it is the true embodiment of Badassery; swagger and all.

Whateverist

I second that. In Peter Godfrey Smith's (2016) Other Minds / The Octopus, The Sea and The Deep Origins of Consciousness you get a good appreciation for why they make a good test case for meetings with aliens from afar.

Whateverist

Crap, double post.

But as long as I opened another post might as well give a shout out to the human animal. We have some stunning capacities though we're also a huge liability to most of the living world.

Last edited: