• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Bible verses helping others

God calls Christians to pour themselves out for others.

But we are often slow to embrace this aspect of the Christian life. We misapply the freeness of God’s grace to us in Christ in such a way that can overshadow the appropriate response to that grace.

Scripture is saturated with God’s command to his people to help others, care for the poor, imitate his generosity, and to take a posture of self-sacrifice. Consider these 47 Bible verses and seven themes in Scripture that instruct the church to love God and neighbor by helping others.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Kind Words Or No Words​

I truly believe words are very powerful and can be used in a positive or negative manner.....I hate to admit it but have participated in gossip and spreading rumors like others at work, etc.....I have experienced the positive effects as well as the meanness & pain of unkind gossip & jealousy- but no more!!

I NOW CHOOSE NOT TO GOSSIP, SPREAD RUMORS OR BE PART OF THE PROCESS. I CHOOSE THE OPPOSITE- I CHOOSE TO SHARE AS MUCH VERBAL KINDNESS AS POSSIBLE...WORDS CAN HEAL!!!

Words Can Heal is a national campaign to eliminate verbal violence, curb gossip and promote the healing power of words to enhance relationships at every level. (check out website wordscanheal.org). Below are a few of their slogans which have been made into signs:

Plenty more at that site!

All the best

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A friend of mine in Chicago sent me an e-mail with her description of an uplifting event that she witnessed... "And talking about beautiful...yesterday I was witness to such a heartwarming random act of kindness. It will forever be imprinted in my mind. I had to run downtown to help Bonnie out for a few hours (it was not part of my original plans for Monday). On my bus ride back to the train station, we were in gridlock traffic right by the opera house. As I stare out my window a handsome young man (25ish to 30ish) walks out of the side door of the Opera House. It's cold and windy outside. He has on a heavy army-issued jacket and a scarf wrapped around his neck. As he's walking towards the bridge there are three homeless men with their cups, each sitting maybe 15 feet from one other. The young man ... Read Full Story >>

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
The more we’re living at odds with the truth, the more we suffer. The more we live along with it, the happier we are. -- Lama Tsomo, “What’s Left? A Practice for Understanding Impermanence”

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Today is World Kindness Day. It’s a good reminder to ask: Are you remembering to give yourself kindness, too? We often find it easy to show acceptance and caring toward other people, while the sneaky voice of our inner critic resists turning that kindness inward.

We can notice this tendency before making an important decision or doing something for the first time, when a tiny voice inside our head says: “You can’t do that.” Moments of self-doubt are a normal part of life, but indulging the inner critic can become a habit that paralyzes us, sometimes leading to fear, depression, and anxiety.

A little daily mindfulness practice interrupts the mental habit of self-doubt, according to research. It allows you to recognize that voice for what it really is—simply a thought, not a fact. Here are three ways to soothe your inner critic through kindness.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We think of kindness as something we do for others. But Rick Hanson says kindness is a two-way street.

I usually describe a practice as something to do: get on your own side, see the being behind the eyes, take in the good, etc. This practice is different: it’s something to recognize. From this recognition, appropriate action will follow. Let me explain.

Some years ago, I was invited to give a keynote at a conference with the largest audience I’d ever faced. It was a big step up for me. Legendary psychologists were giving the other talks, and I feared I wouldn’t measure up. I was nervous. Real nervous.

I sat in the back waiting my turn, worrying about how people would see me. I thought about how to look impressive and get approval. My mind fixed on me, me, me. I was miserable.

Then I began reading an interview with the Dalai Lama. He spoke about the happiness in wishing others well. A wave of relief and calming swept through me as I recognized that the kindest thing I could do for myself was to stop obsessing about “me” and instead try to be helpful to others.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other

Marvin J. Ashton

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A few times, in this new world of technology, I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve caught myself immersed in my phone when I should have been acknowledging a clerk or the person ringing up my groceries. I think about that, and I put my phone aside these days—even, sometimes, leaving it at home so I can be more present in my life.

The inquiry on the blog today is: In what small ways can you nourish the people around you?

Do you check in with how your partner is feeling? Do you, as we suggest in “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff in Love,” ask for dream updates? Do you check in with your friends and co-workers about their lives in an effort to connect more deeply?

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Leads to -

Kindness is the golden thread that weaves humanity together. It’s the gentle touch, the warm smile, and the selfless act that can transform lives. In a world often bustling with chaos and noise, kindness stands as a beacon of hope, reminding us of our shared humanity.

Kindness need not be grandiose; it thrives in the simplest gestures. Holding the door for a stranger, offering a listening ear, or leaving an uplifting
note—all these acts create ripples. They touch hearts, inspire others, and set off a chain reaction of goodwill.

Saidi Ibrahim

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness is more than behavior. The art of kindness involves harboring a spirit of helpfulness, being generous and considerate, and doing so without expecting anything in return.

Rather than viewing it exclusively as an action, think of kindness as a quality of being you can cultivate. Giving kindness often is simple, free and health-enhancing.

All the best!