• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Holy Bible (as literature). Your favorite prose/story arc?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I want to talk about the Bible as a piece of literature for this thread. Forget for a second that there is religions formed around the Bible. Suppose it to be a magnificent piece of literature (which in my opinion, it is).

What is your favorite prose or story arc from the Bible?

An easy way to look at the Bible is this: Genesis 1-11 (prologue) covers more time than the rest of the Bible combined. Then the rest of the Bible is the story of Abraham and his descendants.

My favorite story arc is definitely the kingdom arc that takes place between 1 Samuel - 2 Kings. Particularly, I like the books of Samuel because of the story of David. There is many pages devoted to David, so there is plenty of space for the authors to flesh out not only David as a character but the side characters as well. Joab, David's top general and relative, is my favorite anti-hero of the Bible. That scene where he kills David's son (after defeating the son's revolt) even though David ordered mercy for his son, then Joab goes to David immediately after to make him praise the troops for winning the battle instead of mourning his son lije he was, is one of my favorite scenes with Joab. The story of David itself is so thematic, covering all the hallmarks of a good divine story. David has many highs and many lows, some of his own fault and some not.

I just think the story of David is some of the best prose the Bible has to offer. The rest of the kingdom arc is still rather interesting, though no other king gets as much page space or the such, making for weaker stories. An exception is the story of the prophet Elijah and King Ahab, that is definitely a highlight.

Sooo... What about you? What is your favorite prose from the Bible?

wellwisher

The Song of Solomon is unique is the Bible. It is about the wisdom of Solomon. But it is also described as one of the greatest love longs of all time, between a man and a woman, both falling in love. King Solomon fell in love often, having 700 wives and 300 concubines. The reign of Solomon was the brightest time in the history of Israel, where there was property and peace.

I believe the Queen of Sheba was that "one" for Solomon and the Song. She was the Queen of South Arabia. She had heard of the wisdom of Solomon and came with gifts to test the wisdom of Solomon. The Ethiopian Jews claim that came from a child their love bore.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I want to talk about the Bible as a piece of literature for this thread. Forget for a second that there is religions formed around the Bible. Suppose it to be a magnificent piece of literature (which in my opinion, it is).

An easy way to look at the Bible is this: Genesis 1-11 (prologue) covers more time than the rest of the Bible combined. Then the rest of the Bible is the story of Abraham and his descendants.

My favorite story arc is definitely the kingdom arc that takes place between 1 Samuel - 2 Kings. Particularly, I like the books of Samuel because of the story of David. There is many pages devoted to David, so there is plenty of space for the authors to flesh out not only David as a character but the side characters as well. Joab, David's top general and relative, is my favorite anti-hero of the Bible. That scene where he kills David's son (after defeating the son's revolt) even though David ordered mercy for his son, then Joab goes to David immediately after to make him praise the troops for winning the battle instead of mourning his son lije he was, is one of my favorite scenes with Joab. The story of David itself is so thematic, covering all the hallmarks of a good divine story. David has many highs and many lows, some of his own fault and some not.

I just think the story of David is some of the best prose the Bible has to offer. The rest of the kingdom arc is still rather interesting, though no other king gets as much page space or the such, making for weaker stories. An exception is the story of the prophet Elijah and King Ahab, that is definitely a highlight.

My favorites are the book of Job old testament and revelations in the New testament. Overall I prefer reading the stories of new testament to the old testament.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
The Song of Solomon is unique is the Bible. It is about the wisdom of Solomon. But it is also described as one of the greatest love longs of all time, between a man and a woman, both falling in love. King Solomon fell in love often, having 700 wives and 300 concubines. The reign of Solomon was the brightest time in the history of Israel, where there was property and peace.

I believe the Queen of Sheba was that "one" for Solomon and the Song. She was the Queen of South Arabia. She had heard of the wisdom of Solomon and came with gifts to test the wisdom of Solomon. The Ethiopian Jews claim that came from a child their love bore.
The Song of Solomon is the only book of the Bible I haven't read. Just, when I was a hardcore Christian studying the whole Bible, I knew what that book was about. And I was going through a rough marriage, so I didn't want to hear a love song from the dude with 1000 chicks... "What would he know?" I asked myself angrily and avoided the book.
I gotta check it out tho haha

Psalm23

The cross of my Lord Jesus and the resurrection story. It is because I feel so unworthy before my God and feel so grateful that he would care so much for me. I feel humbled and amazed at this and the many blessings given to me that are too many to count.