• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The faith that the brain is the source of mind doesn't hold up

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
If you smash a laptop would you expect it to still work?
A laptop does not have a mind.
How is it possible? Why do hearts stop beating too? Why does breathing stop if the mind still works?
If you and I knew how this was possible, we would be able to explain many such things to everyone.

Try this example: Recently (actually sometime last year), I thought about a cousin who I had not thought about for almost 30 years. Later that day, I got a message from my sister that the cousin had just died. So why did I think about this cousin earlier that day? Was it just a coincidence? I had not thought about this cousin at all for many, many years. Was my brain involved or my mind? Or did my dead cousin somehow put this thought into my brain with her 'mind'? Or did her 'mind' put the 'thought' into my 'mind' and it got transferred to my brain?

How is it possible? Use facts.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My brother is seriously mentally ill. When he takes his meds regularly, he's fine. When he doesn't, he's not fine. My mom had bipolar 1 disorder (diagnosed) and refused to take any meds for it. She eventually had a stroke, which greatly impacted her personality as well as her brain's biology. I believe her brain was her weakest organ and that it is a biological disorder, which my brother inherited. Brain/mind/personality. Has nothing to do with any other beliefs I hold.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
I didn't say it does. But it is a processor much like brains, and we observe them stop working just as dead brains stop working. If there is some "mind" outside of living brains where do you see it? Use facts.
If you and I knew how this was possible, we would be able to explain many such things to everyone.
Then why are you guessing? We observe minds ONLY in living brains, why assume mind is not a sole property of living brains doing their thing?
Try this example: Recently (actually sometime last year), I thought about a cousin who I had not thought about for almost 30 years. Later that day, I got a message from my sister that the cousin had just died. So why did I think about this cousin earlier that day? Was it just a coincidence? I had not thought about this cousin at all for many, many years. Was my brain involved or my mind? Or did my dead cousin somehow put this thought into my brain with her 'mind'? Or did her 'mind' put the 'thought' into my 'mind' and it got transferred to my brain?

My background is psychology. What you describe is a coincidence. It happens to everyone, and is quite common. How many times did you think about your cousin and he didn't die? Those thoughts get forgotten as irrelevant since there was nothing to tie that thought to current events, and you get busy with other things that need your attention. A few days ago I thought about a former professional bike racer, Hugh Walton, who was a big name back in the 80's and I never met. He had some training advice that I always thought was not relevant to amateurs, but still wondered if he was onto something. The next day I saw him post on Facebook via a mutual friend. Like you I thought this was amazing. But I am also aware that I have often thought about him and his training advice and never had a coincidental contact with him.

Another example, I have a porsche 928S4 and there are many times I look at a digital clock and on occasion see 9:28. Just a coincidence? So I started being aware how many times I look at a clock in a day. I look at the time dozens of times a day and just forget seeing the time after a few minutes. Why? Because the numbers don't have meaning to me like 928 does. I see 6:02, it's just after 6, tha

Humans are pattern seeking animals and we try to connect dots when we have them. Hmans also have a high degree of anxiety and we seek significance in an indifferent universe that doesn't care if you are a baby or a worm. Humans have exveriences like you do, thinking of an old friend and relative and then forgetting after a few minutes. Then one day you think of them and then hear news about them. It was a matter of time, and it happens to all of us. We are selective because we want to see significance and patterns.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe the brain stops functioning a few minutes after the heart stops beating, and then the mind of that person is completely gone as well.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
How many times did you think about your cousin and he didn't die?
That is the point. I never ever thought about my cousin for 30 years (since I moved to the US). So, the ONLY day I thought about HER was on the day of her death (one day in 30 years) - we were not close at all, she used to babysit me that is all I remember of her.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Then why are you guessing? We observe minds ONLY in living brains, why assume mind is not a sole property of living brains doing their thing?
You don't have to guess. You can read these papers by Sheldrake done with scientific rigor and reproducible by anyone who is interested.

He has studied how/why people know that they are being stared at without actually seeing the person doing it. All skeptics dismiss Sheldrake's work as pseudo-science, but cannot explain why the results of the experiments are reproducible as well as statistically significant.
Rupert Sheldrake - Author and Biologist
There are other experiments on that site involving other phenomena besides this specific one.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That is the point. I never ever thought about my cousin for 30 years (since I moved to the US). So, the ONLY day I thought about HER was on the day of her death (one day in 30 years) - we were not close at all, she used to babysit me that is all I remember of her.
That is easy to believe when you don’t make an effort to document your thoughts. It is easy to forget. Have you considered that you want the answer you want?

F1fan

Veteran Member
You don't have to guess. You can read these papers by Sheldrake done with scientific rigor and reproducible by anyone who is interested.

He has studied how/why people know that they are being stared at without actually seeing the person doing it. All skeptics dismiss Sheldrake's work as pseudo-science, but cannot explain why the results of the experiments are reproducible as well as statistically significant.
Rupert Sheldrake - Author and Biologist
There are other experiments on that site involving other phenomena besides this specific one.
If his work is reputable then it can be replicated. As noted we humans have a lot of anxiety and as fearful animals we scan our environment. If we have a feeling and we scan to see if it’s happening and it isn’t, we are satisfied that we are safe and get back to other tasks. If we look up and someone’s looking at us we feel heightened anxiety.

We humans are also insecure and look to validate our beliefs, especially those that are not consistent with facts. That includes religious belief.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
That is easy to believe when you don’t make an effort to document your thoughts. It is easy to forget. Have you considered that you want the answer you want?
That is quite possible. What is also possible is that you are not interested in finding/investigating any other answer except your own.

For instance, I have personally been experimenting with telepathy for many years and I can demonstrate this ability to communicate telepathically with other people (within short distances like a few feet). If you know any serious researchers (preferrable affiliated with some university) who are interested in such research, you should refer them to me. BTW I have not been able receive any telepathic messages yet, but I know others have received them from me (probably not clearly) because of the looks they give me.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
If his work is reputable then it can be replicated.
Others have replicated his experiments. If you are interested you can try to do so yourself. But I doubt if you would even read his papers. Your closed mind would never allow you to investigate anything beyond the physical.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science has to follow the facts and data. What fact and data is there that isn't the brain as the only basis for what we call the "mind"? From what I see it is the religious and philosohical that assumes there is something other than the material and brain that causes "mind".
It is also the religious and the philosophical that considers mind to be nothing but the brain. Science doesn't consider it that. Science does not make such proclamations of belief. I don't think you realize that you are doing philosophy and not science, but assume that because to you science seems to affirm that view, that that is "what science says".

This is why I keep making this comparison to the most obvious of the religionists, the fundamentalists, who are blind to their own views and interpretations of the data when they announce, "It's not my words, but God's words. It says it right there in the Bible." What they are failing to see is that other people reading those exact same words have a different view or understanding of the texts.

Same thing now applied to "what science says". No, science, or the Bible, doesn't conclude that. Your's, or their interpretation of it makes them or you feel that "It's not my idea, but sciences. It's not my words, but God's words". Same difference. Both are their own philosophical interpretations of the words.

Science uses a reductionist methodology to analyze the data as a tool. But that does not mean that science has a reductionist worldview as a philosophical position. There is a difference between these.
As we know religion and philosophy doesn't have standards to follow, so anything goes.
That is a false statement. There are of course standards that they follow. I'm not sure how you justify that, actually. Have you ever heard of "orthodoxy", for one example? What is that if not measuring ideas and views against a standard?
Some who accept these ideas as valid accuse science of lagging behind. Any sort of wild guessing is acceptable in philosophy, but not in science.
In that case, I'd say they are making the exact same error you are, and you are making the exact same error as them. They, and you, set your own worldview as the true standard, and anything that doesn't meet or match that standard is "lagging behind".
To my mind the only thing outside the brain that contributes to "mind" is experiences with the environment and other people. These do impact and help shape what "minds" end up being.
I'd really enjoy hearing a definition of "mind" here. That would be helpful in not crossing wires. Are we talking that collective pool of thoughts and ideas and values and personality traits and what not we amass together and call the "person" or the "self"?
As we see many folks are claiming certain elelments of experience as immaterial, and it is true if immaterial is misapplied. Experiences are not objects that are subject to being categorized as material or immaterial, so these claims are misapplied.
Any subjective experience that we look at or talk about, takes on the nature of an object, even if it is immaterial in nature. A subjective experience is a 1st person experience. A view of a subjective experience is a 3rd person person perspective of a 1st person experience, and therefore that 3rd person perspective is taking an objective view. It is seeing or analyzing a 1st person experience, as 3rd person object.

In other words, subjective vs objective really has more to do with perspectives, than it does anything to do with physicality or not.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It is also the religious and the philosophical that considers mind to be nothing but the brain. Science doesn't consider it that. Science does not make such proclamations of belief.
Science observes mind only in living brains. It’s religion and philosophy that suggests it isn’t. Not all of them, some of them. And that illustrates the lack of objective standards in religions and philosophies that science does use. The lack of standards is why we take religion and philosophy with a grain of salt.
I don't think you realize that you are doing philosophy and not science, but assume that because to you science seems to affirm that view, that that is "what science says".
I don’t claim to be doing either. I will cite science when necessary.
In other words, subjective vs objective really has more to do with perspectives, than it does anything to do with physicality or not.
The science perspective is objectivity, not the soft subjectivity of religion and philosophy.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

How is what possible? That you happened to think about your cousin on the day she died? It's possible if you have a brain capable of producing thought.

Do you think it requires some kind of magic or something?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
How is what possible? That you happened to think about your cousin on the day she died? It's possible if you have a brain capable of producing thought.
So out of nearly 11000 days (30 years), I think of her only once and that just happens to be the day she died? I suppose it is possible because I have a brain capable of producing thought. I also think that skeptics are the smartest people on Earth.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Good question.
How is it possible? Use facts...

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So out of nearly 11000 days (30 years), I think of her only once and that just happens to be the day she died? I suppose it is possible because I have a brain capable of producing thought. I also think that skeptics are the smartest people on Earth.
Are you sure you only thought of her once in all of 30 years? That seems rather hard to believe.