• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Difference, 101

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Lot's wife looked backward, with compassion. Lot followed forward, with regret.

b.

Lot's wife look back to see sin. Lot kept forward to ignore it.

Seeing and being around sin makes one dies. Moving away from it, let's one live. Maybe a metaphor for that, I suppose.

If she did look back out of compassion, that is sure a horrible way to die if she really wanted to help not kill the sinners in Gommorah.

Then I'm not god, so..

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
Thank you all.

In recovery from severe illness, I just slept two hours for the first time in four days. Naturally, I'm looking both backwards and forwards in my own life with some intensity; and for the moment, I'm delighted to offer this preface:

To the ancients, pillars signaled honor, stability; and salt was a prized medium of exchange.

I apologize for the fanfare, and I hope that I will soon be able to bring proper focus to my thoughts on this biblical parable.

b.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
Salt is good, but if it's lost its savor, it's good for nothing but to be trodden under the foot of man.

The parables of Tanach are subtle beyond my knowing, but the key to unlocking its layers of meaning rests in understanding its Names; for they provide significant context and focus to the skeletal stories. Generally, the Names of biblical peoples signal states of being, while place Names establish rich underlying narratives to which the Names, again, add import.

This dynamic of Tanach is hidden to the vast majority of humanity. There are human explanations for this; but the real reason for this dearth is that YHWH, the Name above all others, determines that it is so. The gifts/Y of revelation/H must be weighed/W with discernment/H. Most translations treat the Names as mere monikers, and many are content with such superficial readings.

It will not always be so. Prophets speak of an age of unprecedented peace, during which the hearts of we who are sons will again be turned to the hearts of the fathers: a time in which the fathers are able to speak to the sons with clarity.

I'm playing this thread by ear, and I've only a vague idea of the shape it might take. I hope we can discuss the Names in the story of Lot, fleshing out the story as best we can. We shall all agree to such an undertaking eventually; for the Kingdom of HaShemayim -- "The Heavens" -- can also be read as "The Kingdom of Names."

b.

Last edited:

2ndpillar

Dear fin,
I think you are loosing sight of the overall context of the lessons of the bible. Those who obeyed the "Word"/Law and the testimonies lived, and those who did not, came to an early end. Even Moses, who struck the rock, instead of speaking to the rock, was brought to a preliminary end.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
Thanks, pill.

It's written that YHWH will magnify Torah and make it honorable. Torah comes alive with wonder when its Names are translated according to context; and it explodes in majesty when the number values of its Names are also studied. It's a spiritual masterpiece, an eternal reference work. Translations are inadequate by definition, but they are useful for those not yet weaned. Its language is liturgical Hebrew, not Aramaic Hebrew; and in a thousand years or so, its fullness will be appreciated. Until then, HaShem continues to write his Word upon our hearts; and we struggle on with stammering lips and the English tongue to communicate to others the showbread of the Spirit.

The path of Y'Shua brings us to the Door-- to Yahushua, the Salvation of YH. Entering therein, we embark upon the path of Deliverance, that we may be presented to YH in the fullness of days without spot or blemish. Beyond that narrow gateway is a long road leading to the throne of YH. The path of deliverance requires understanding of the weighty aspects of what is written, however that understanding comes. Biblical literacy is not essential (the Shepherd has other flocks), but it is very useful.

I was baptized by the Breath of the Holy 44 years ago, and it's been nearly 25 years since I seriously studied what is written. In my 71st year, now, I am compelled by the Spirit to return to a magnified word. Whether useful to others or not, I must do such things as this, with honesty and clarity: trusting that the Spirit of YH will compensate for my inadequacies. For the moment, I intend to interpret the story of Lot, using the tools of liturgical Hebrew.

b.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
I've got visits with doctors and therapists this week, so my time and energy will be limited.

Have salt in yourselves. I'll continue with the thread as I can.

b.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
I'm still poking along on the road to recovery.

The "man" knew his "wife," the mother of all (his) sentience; and they are one organism.

Abraham is a titan of faith. He hears, believes, obeys: he has no doubt. Indeed, his faith is so strong that he is able to probe the mind and will of HaShem to better understand the nature and purpose of (His) intent for enacting the overthrow.

The man, Lot? He's not the bad fellow so many see. He's a conflicted man, weak in faith like so many of us. As the small company of souls departs, the story of Lot entails the struggles of the man's mind; that of Lot's "wife," the clarity of his heart. In the throes of compassion, his heart turns into a pillar of salt, a source of ardor that will flavor Lot's experiences during his mind's journey as a survivor. A house divided, he struggles on.

I hope to take up the tale again soon.

b.

Last edited:

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
My apologies for the pace of this thread. I've not been home since December 24 and am presently unable to continue as I had hoped.

The Name Lot, of course, means "wrap, cover, veil." He is a troubled pilgrim wrapped around a core of salt. The numbers of his Name are 436, 364, 301, 103, 94, 76, 67, 49. 40, 31, 13, and 4. The number 4 as base signifies that Lot has opportunity of access-- that a door awaits him, veiling what lies beyond.

I'll not be contributing further to the forum until I can again take up this thread.

b.

Last edited: