• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death of Honey Girl, a turtle is mourned by a friend. Amazing.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Honey Girl was a popular turtle in Hawaii, who was apparently slaughtered and there is a $1,200.00 reward to turn in the perp. HOWEVER, what was amazing was one of Honey Girl's friends coming out of the sea to mourn her.

cbs2.com - Video Library

Please keep a hanky available if you are easily upset.

Scuba Pete

It is absolutely inexplicable. I would never have associated such emotions to a TURTLE. This is not just some randomn happening.

.lava

Veteran Member
this is heart breaking. i am sorry that there are people who actually enjoy torturing animals. i don't care if it's threatened species or not. this is inhumane and i think they could easily hurt people too. i hope they found who killed that turtle.

touching story, thanks for sharing :)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What a touching story. I like how they add in that scientists would recommend against attributing human emotions to animals. I normally would, too, but this is such a special story.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Not to be a party pooper or anything but how do we know that the male turtle was looking for Honey Girl? Could it be that he was just interested in the little memorial on the shore? It is a touching story though and it would be extraordinary if he turtles did possess that much emotion.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Not to be a party pooper or anything but how do we know that the male turtle was looking for Honey Girl? Could it be that he was just interested in the little memorial on the shore? It is a touching story though and it would be extraordinary if he turtles did possess that much emotion.

Well I think they know that Elephants mourn over thier dead..

I've also heard of dogs refusing to eat after their owner dies..Or another animal even they they were close to...

One of my mothers cats died just the other day..And her two other cats..one of them her sister(littermate) were acting very strangley the morning she died...

When one of my rottwiellers died (Mandy my three legged girl)..my Rottie Blue..stood vigil over her collar..(I kept it)..He laid next to it..Only getting up to eat and go outside to the restroom..And then went straight back to it..He laid thier and occasionally sniffed it and licked it...I eventually had to take it aways from him..He was obviously in some sort of depression...

I dont see why a turtle woudlnt possibly have those same type "feelings" of knowing something they love is gone...

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Scuba Pete

Oh yeah... that's normal behavior for male sea turtles to come up on the beach... NOT! In fact, once they leave the nest, I don't think male sea turtles ever come into shore.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Oh yeah... that's normal behavior for male sea turtles to come up on the beach... NOT! In fact, once they leave the nest, I don't think male sea turtles ever come into shore.

Sorry to ask. So a simple, "That's not normal behavior for male sea turtles" was out out of the question?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Sorry to ask. So a simple, "That's not normal behavior for male sea turtles" was out out of the question?

I think what he was trying to say is its rare for a male to ever come to shore..

So if you take that fact..and the events leading up to him coming in..and his behavior once he did...It sort of points to ..maybe something we dont understand..or maybe something we do...just its hard to believe.... :)

Love

Dallas

Scuba Pete

Only females are known to come ashore and that to lay eggs. They are most vulnerable when on land and so stay out to sea all of their lives. It makes understanding their habits a lot harder: no one really knows how they mate.