• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The average forum member

David1967

Premium Member
On a scale of one to ten, how aparently intelligent is the average forum participant?
If you've been here for more than a couple of years, is tis average inching up or declining.

My view:

6 | declining​
About the same. Very predictable.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
We all have egos, don't we? Some more than others, perhaps, but who doesn't think they alone know best?
I don't need or even want to think that. I have changed my mind before. I have found better ways to do things. I've made mistakes, errors in judgment. I've hurt myself and others, I've helped myself and others, etc. Pretty sure that sort of behavior will continue until the day I die.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
On a scale of one to ten, how aparently intelligent is the average forum participant?
If you've been here for more than a couple of years, is tis average inching up or declining.

My view:

6 | declining​
I think the RFers I often interact with are quite smart.

That said, I tend to debate topics for which I feel that even smart people exhibit strong confirmation bias. In his book "Thinking, Fast and Slow", nobel prize winner Daniel Kahneman said (and I paraphrase): "I am arguably the world's leading expert on bias, and I must confess, I'm still guilty of it".

So to me the trick is to acknowledge our own biases as much as possible and to try to debate in good faith. I know I'm not always able to do so, but here and now I'm reiterating my commitment to do so.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

My view:

6 | declining​
It's possible that it just seems that way because the idiots have gotten more outspoken and the intelligent people have started to realize it's futile to argue with idiots.