• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Authenticity of Your Religion

Which belief do you represent?

• Total voters

ALL

How do you know your religion is authentic?

There are many other religions out there. What information has convinced you of your beliefs?

Laika

Premium Member
Voted Atheist.

There are many other religions out there. What information has convinced you of your beliefs?

I don't. Whilst there is a complex set of explanations as to how ideas are a reflection of objective reality, I haven't looked into them into enough depth to be fully convinced. So I remain to some extent uncertian. ultimately, the authenticity of my beliefs is measured by my willingness to act on them inspite of the uncertianties inherent in human knowledge. So I think that makes me a pragmatic atheist rather than a 'strong' atheist who can assert it as a fact.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My religion is authentic because I create it myself.
I take ideas from various religions which I like, those that fit with my current world view. My world view, based on my personal experiences.

I figure some person had to create the religion based on whatever their experiences were except I don't feel any particular need to encourage anyone else to follow it. If someone feels they need a religion, I'd encourage them to create their own.

I believe in true Christianity.When I compare what others teach, to what the holy scriptures teach,it is obvious to me who is truly doing God's will.Of all the different groups who preach Christianity,I find the Jehovah's Witnesses having more accurate knowledge.Thier constant reading and studying of the scriptures ,along with their day to day preaching activity, shows me they are dedicated to preaching the good news about God's kingdom.Just as it is stated in Matthew 24:14. No one is more serious than this organization.They stand out amongst all, and they are hated for a reason.They are unlike anyone else.They are not part of the world like all other religons.All of this shows me that they are true.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't vote, as there is no appropriate option listed. Yay.

When that word "authentic" is bandied about in the context of other people's ways of life, I can't help but to cringe inside. It's a loaded word, implying that somehow one person's way is "correct" and another person's way is "incorrect." Rubbish. The only sense in which I'd use a word like "authentic" to describe religion is in the sense of being true to oneself. "Authentic" religion is true to oneself. "Inauthentic" or wrong religion is not being true to oneself.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted Hinduism.

First of all I don't think there is only one 'authentic' religion and the rest inauthentic. All religions teaching brotherly love or the Golden Rule are on the right track.

My objective study of things colloquially called paranormal or spiritual led me to the masters of eastern (Indian) spirituality. It is my objective conclusion that the teachers of this tradition have experienced deeper into the Truth than any other of mankind's wisdom traditions. What convinced me most is their understanding of anomalous spiritual and paranormal phenomena (things materialist science tries, unsatisfactorily in my opinion, to just 'explain away') as part of a grander cosmos than is seen in materialism.

Baladas

An Págánach
I cannot vote either. I would have to basically echo what Quintessence say above though:
There is no path more "authentic" than another.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by "authentic" here, to be honest.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well. Ima so an exclusion. Paganism isnt there but I know there is only a limited lists.

Authentic...real?

I hate to use the "ancient" card but paganism has been 'round for years. Im convinced the truth that authenticity and age go together because we can see what our ancestors practice and even more so, how it shapes our morals today. We think we are far from pagan beliefs but even belief in god(s) is pagan. Folk religions always believed in some sort of creator and we never lost that until philosophers and scientists startes looking at the seen to disprove the unseen.

What else?

I believe in earth centered paganism. So, what convinces me of my faith seen and unseen is my existences, others, nature (literal nature not metaphysics), pretty much what was "originally" here before we tore down trees to build roads.

Abrahamic faiths and similar are on a boundry line in trying to find prove of their faith authenticity outside of hearsay, sycronicity, coinsedences, and attributing events to what is not literally related to the unseen itself.

My faith is true because the unseen, if we like, is a part of life not "special." Not supernatural. So when I saw spirits I dont need to attribute it to a source. We coexist.

Faith/religion is living. Thats the best authentic faith I know and believe is when we strip the layers of how we want to define spirituality rather than observation and living it spontaneously and in rythem with the earth. Our bodies and minds are made to correlate to the earth.

Why is there an "other" I dont know.

Thats my take.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I didn't vote yet because I feel that modern mankind is incapable of understanding
"god". Small case "g", not a formal title.
But I might change my mind. I'm tired right now.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't vote either because there is no option for Heathens and Pagans, and authentic is in the eye of the believer. What I follow is authentic for me. Despite attempts, no one can convince me it's not.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Authentic objectively means not copied or false; original. So, each person has a faith but each faith has a foundation and that foundation is not by perspective or subjective; its authentic. Each building block is not authentic but is a part of the foundation. This does not make the block false. As long as its build on solid foundation it is fine.

So, authentic christianity is faith in Christ and His saving all believers. Whomever holds this basic belief has an authentic faith. Those denomni (well, all) who branched out are not authentic but built of authentic foundation.

Likewise with paganism. Its very scatchy what authentic paganism is. Id say is folk traditions practiced in countries all around the world; probably most refer is minority faiths. Christianity may have "added" the polytheism but we just dont know since it is a collective terms.

As such, people who identify as pagans are more likely modern pagans (again collective tern). It is not authentic but built on fragments of authentic faiths and genuine in themselves. Not false but not original (authentic).

Id assume other faiths have evolved from authenticity.

I value faiths that are closer to their origins. If we are to honor our ancesters we learn what they practices in their day or country. Thats the authenticity.

Maybe we can call our own faiths modern authenticity. It is true and original "to us" and eclectic views start from us but its not the original; hence by strict definition, not authentic.

Some words have no exclusions.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't vote either because there is no option for Heathens and Pagans, and authentic is in the eye of the believer. What I follow is authentic for me. Despite attempts, no one can convince me it's not.

Pfft... sounds exactly like something someone belonging to an inauthentic religion would say. Excuses!

:D

(you know that's what some people will think, sadly)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

My choice is not represented on your poll.

As for whether it's authentic, I'm pretty sure the Old Way was practiced in some form in Northern Europe before Christianity took over. The way I practice it was certainly different, given that I live in a completely different world, but it was there. It's still here, now, too, not in an unbroken line as seen in Hinduism, Shen Dao, Shinto, etc., but still.

As for "information", that's not really part of the game. Rather, I interpret my experiences in certain ways.

arthra

Baha'i

Since Baha'i Faith isn't listed in the poll I cannot vote... Baha'is do recognize that all the major religions have a Divine Origin and that Krishna, Zarathustra, Buddha, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad are all Manifestations of God. We believe the Bab and Baha'u'llah are Manifestations for this era. I studied the major religions and came to feel that I could not reject One and disparage Another... so in a sense, by becoming a Baha'i I accept Them all.

As to authenticity of the Faith...there are many historical records still extant that record the events in the lives of the Bab and Baha'u'llah and the Writings of the Faith have been preserved for posterity.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot presume to know that my "religion" is authentic. I am still stretching my legs and I cannot presume to say that I have found the ultimate truth at the tender age of 24. Far too young, too rebellious, too aloof still to truly know that I have found the "Truth." My spiritual path is my own, it may differ from my best friend's, it may even differ from my mother's. But it's the path that feels the best for me. And really what else is there?

Unification

My religion is authentic because I don't one. Anything creating divide is not authentic. Strip the religious labeling away from an individual and they are just as me, a human being with a brain, mind, heart, and the same feelings I experience living in the same universe, same earth, same necessities for life, same sun and moon, etc.

Unification

I cannot presume to know that my "religion" is authentic. I am still stretching my legs and I cannot presume to say that I have found the ultimate truth at the tender age of 24. Far too young, too rebellious, too aloof still to truly know that I have found the "Truth." My spiritual path is my own, it may differ from my best friend's, it may even differ from my mother's. But it's the path that feels the best for me. And really what else is there?

Very humble and wise, and aware.