• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sum Up Your Religion in One Verse

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you sum up your religion in one scriptural verse?

If so, what verse would that be?

If not, why not?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

If not, why not?
"As all things are buddha-dharma, there is delusion, realisation, practice, birth and death, buddhas and sentient beings. As myriad things are without an abiding self, there is no delusion, no realisation, no buddha, no sentient being, no birth and death."

Last edited:

Sargonski

If not, why not?

This is question asked to Rabbi Hillel by an unbeliever .. challenged him to summarize the entire Torah while standing on one foot.

Rabbi Hillel was very famous and very old ~ 100 when Jesus sat on his knee and learned the Golden Rule .. to the challenger he replied "Don't do to others what you hate - the rest is all commentary - now go and learn"

You will find the same teaching in the Sermon on the Mount Matt 7:12 -- "Do unto others what you would have done to you -- This rule sums up the law and the prophets"

InChrist

Free4ever
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
1 John 5:20

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

If not, why not?
Micah 6:8
He has told you, O man, what is good, and what the Lord demands of you; but to do justice, to love loving-kindness, and to walk discreetly with your God.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
This is question asked to Rabbi Hillel by an unbeliever .. challenged him to summarize the entire Torah while standing on one foot.

Rabbi Hillel was very famous and very old ~ 100 when Jesus sat on his knee and learned the Golden Rule .. to the challenger he replied "Don't do to others what you hate - the rest is all commentary - now go and learn"

You will find the same teaching in the Sermon on the Mount Matt 7:12 -- "Do unto others what you would have done to you -- This rule sums up the law and the prophets"
And the same teaching belongs to at least 9 other religions....it's that important!
Namaste

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I can't state it in one verse, but Ecclesiastes in shorthand:
Que Sera Sera

Sargonski

And the same teaching belongs to at least 9 other religions....it's that important!
Namaste

and also in law codes Hamurabbi - and the one before that .. and also Confucius .. and I assume we are Calling Buddhism a religion :)

It is God trying to communicate to us :)

This is probably the best summary:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32

Viker

Häxan
"I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe, but at least I'm enjoying the ride." Grateful Dead ( written by Brent Richard Mydland / John Barlow / Robert Hall Weir )

I don't have any scriptures so I occasionally have to "outsource".

PureX

Veteran Member
"The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name.

The unnamable is the eternally real. While naming is the origin of all particular things.

Free from desire you realize the mystery. Caught in desire you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.

The gateway to all understanding."

- from the Tao Te Ching

Last edited: