• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sub-forum suggestion

blue witch

*slightly otherworldly*
sorry if this is in the wrong place. i'm still learning this site.
i'm just wondering if maybe there could be a pantheist/panentheist sub forum under "non-theism"

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
sorry if this is in the wrong place. i'm still learning this site.
i'm just wondering if maybe there could be a pantheist/panentheist sub forum under "non-theism"
You mean, to distinguish them from pantheists/panentheists who are theist?

blue witch

*slightly otherworldly*
You mean, to distinguish them from pantheists/panentheists who are theist?

well, pantheists and panentheists aren't theists. they don't believe in a personal god.
there is a sub-forum for atheists and agnostics and was just wondering if pantheists and panentheists could qualify for a sub-forum.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Um, who ever said that theism was only having a belief in a personal god? Pantheists and panentheists are theists. You believe in some form or concept of deity then you're a theist.

blue witch

*slightly otherworldly*
from wiki:

Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. As such theism describes the classical conception of God that is found in Christianity, Judaism, Islam and some forms of Hinduism.

Atheism is rejection of theism in the broadest sense of theism; i.e. the rejection of belief that there is even one deity. Rejection of the narrower sense of theism can take forms such as deism, pantheism and polytheism The claim that the existence of any deity is unknown or unknowable is agnosticism.

anyhoo...there is a whole bit on wiki about it.
i think of theism as a belief in a personal god which is not consistent with pantheism/panentheism.

if this is not something with which there is comfort, that's fine. i was just asking.

blue witch

*slightly otherworldly*
oh...is there a pantheist/panentheist forum already? i'm so sorry. i didn't see it. :rolleyes:

i'm actually sitting here with a nice long quote from [FONT=&quot]pantheism: a non-theistic concept of deity[/FONT][FONT=&quot] by michael levine. i'll spare you :)
[/FONT]

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The 'pan' (involving everything) and 'panen' (into everything) along with 'theism' (god or gods) indicate a belief in a non-specific deity(s) that is either a part of everything, or encompasses everything., in a general sense.

Non-theism would exclude any concept of deity.

Which is why those sub-forums are located in the theism forum, along with polytheism and monotheism.

blue witch

*slightly otherworldly*
“Theism is the belief in a “personal” God which in some sense is separate from (i.e. transcends) the world. Theists just about always believe God to be a “person”...Pantheists usually deny the existence of a “personal” God. They deny the existence of a “minded” Being that possesses the characteristic properties of a “person”. Taken as an alternative to, and denial of, theism and atheism, pantheists deny that what they mean by God (i.e. an all-inclusive divine Unity) is completely transcendent…’although pantheists differ among themselves at many points, they all agree in denying the basic theistic claim that God and the world are ontologically distinct’…In terms of the theism/pantheism contract where theism claims God is transcendent, pantheism claims God is radically immanent…”

This from Pantheism: A Non-Theistic Concept of Deity by Michael Levine

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
“Theism is the belief in a “personal” God which in some sense is separate from (i.e. transcends) the world. Theists just about always believe God to be a “person”...Pantheists usually deny the existence of a “personal” God. They deny the existence of a “minded” Being that possesses the characteristic properties of a “person”. Taken as an alternative to, and denial of, theism and atheism, pantheists deny that what they mean by God (i.e. an all-inclusive divine Unity) is completely transcendent…’although pantheists differ among themselves at many points, they all agree in denying the basic theistic claim that God and the world are ontologically distinct’…In terms of the theism/pantheism contract where theism claims God is transcendent, pantheism claims God is radically immanent…”

This from Pantheism: A Non-Theistic Concept of Deity by Michael Levine
Hinduism recognizes a cosmic consciousness, Brahman, that is the origin and sustenance of the universe. Brahman can easily be conceived as personal, especially as we (each of us) are not exempt from Brahman.

Just as an example.

blue witch

*slightly otherworldly*
Hinduism recognizes a cosmic consciousness, Brahman, that is the origin and sustenance of the universe. Brahman can easily be conceived as personal, especially as we (each of us) are not exempt from Brahman.

okay.

i was just making a request. no big deal either way.