• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Computer

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I had the charging port replaced on my computer over the summer.

Its being stupid again.

What confuses me is that rather than not reading the computer's plugged in(most of the time), it is more likely to show its plugged in, but won't charge(unless I spend five minutes positioning it just so).

Is there any simple things I can check before calling the shop again? I hate to do that... they're not cheap.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If you can take the battery out try running it by just plugging the charger in.

If it runs its a battery problem, if not then it's either the port or charger at fault.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It appears the battery isn't removable.

Unless you want to take the computer apart.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds a LOT like a problem with the connection of the power cord to the computer or the receptacle itself or less likely the wall plug. That's not the only possibility but it's the most obvious one.

This is a reasonable problem with charging web page What to Do if Your Laptop Is Plugged In But Not Charging
I did think to check the outlet; sadly, it does it with all of them.

Looking at the article, I suspect its either the port(again or the battery itself).

I almost wonder if things weren't put back together right after the last repair... its like the top wasn't snapped on all the way. I have been having trouble with the touchpad being too sunk in as well(and sometimes making it difficult to use).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I almost wonder if things weren't put back together right after the last repair... its like the top wasn't snapped on all the way. I have been having trouble with the touchpad being too sunk in as well(and sometimes making it difficult to use).

Could be That might be worth trying to correct and see what happens (or at least opening it up and looking around.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I had the charging port replaced on my computer over the summer.

Its being stupid again.

What confuses me is that rather than not reading the computer's plugged in(most of the time), it is more likely to show its plugged in, but won't charge(unless I spend five minutes positioning it just so).

Is there any simple things I can check before calling the shop again? I hate to do that... they're not cheap.

Have you cleaned the port where the cord plugs in to make sure there is no dirt/hair etc? That's what's currently tanked my phone's ability to charge.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It appears the battery isn't removable.

Unless you want to take the computer apart.
"progress"

I hate it. Back in the day, devices were cheaper AND you could actually quite easily open them up and change parts yourself.
Nowadays, they are all glued together and you are unable to repair them. Even the manufacturers themselves can't repair them anymore.

I had a battery charging problem on my surface book some time ago. One simple part that covers like...what...2% of the total cost of the laptop? Send it to msft and instead of repairing it, they just send me a new one. And mine probably just ended up in the thrashbin waiting to get recycled.

I remember when I had a laptop that I could open up and change the hard drive, the battery, the video card, the RAM, the dvd drive,.... All with but a few screws and simple plug-n-play connectors.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
"progress"

I hate it. Back in the day, devices were cheaper AND you could actually quite easily open them up and change parts yourself.
Nowadays, they are all glued together and you are unable to repair them. Even the manufacturers themselves can't repair them anymore.

I had a battery charging problem on my surface book some time ago. One simple part that covers like...what...2% of the total cost of the laptop? Send it to msft and instead of repairing it, they just send me a new one. And mine probably just ended up in the thrashbin waiting to get recycled.

I remember when I had a laptop that I could open up and change the hard drive, the battery, the video card, the RAM, the dvd drive,.... All with but a few screws and simple plug-n-play connectors.
I feel(and I could be wrong) part of the problem here is something isn't sitting right internally, and its caused the little piece they put in to 'shift'... the top piece(that covers the keyboard) has always been a little 'off' since they took it off to repair it... I have to snap it back firmly into place sometimes.

I was surprised to see I couldn't get to the battery.

My brother in law said he'll fix it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is not a fix, but it might help. Amazon's tablets can be very inexpensive if you get them at the right time. For example there 10" tablet has a retail of about $150. But you can get it at half off on Prime days and I would bet you could get it at that price on Black Friday as well.