• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Store owner shoots would be robber

pearl

FTA: “An elderly convenience store owner in California is being hailed as a hero after he shot at a would-be robber who ran out of the store screaming that his arm was “shot off.””

I guess the would-be robber never took the time to consider the possible consequences of his action. 'If you can't do the time, don't do the crime'.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I saw this on YouTube last night:

All of the perpetrators have been caught. The store owner is alive, but he is rather aged and had a heart attack, almost certainly as a reaction to this.

Shaul

Premium Member
Sometimes I pick up on strange details. In this case I noticed the would be robbers parked in the disabled parking :wheelchair:spot. o_O

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sometimes I pick up on strange details. In this case I noticed the would be robbers parked in the disabled parking :wheelchair:spot. o_O
It makes sense. They had no respect for the law, They wanted to get in and out as fast as possible. But it would give me some satisfaction if the driver was charged for that.

I don't think that there will be any question about this being a case of clearly justified self defense.

Shaul

Premium Member
Why not post the vast majority of stories about guns which involve the innocent getting killed.
Why not? Well I have no proof that the “vast majority” of stories about guns are so. At any rate, that would not make any difference about whether to report this story. Even if true that would give more reason to cover it because it would be exceptional. Of course some with an anti gun agenda will not like this story being discussed because it would undermine their purposes.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
How is this a good thing? America is so violent people need guns. That is terrible.
And not only that people don't care about justice of being proportionate to the crime when they draw the gun. Example? This very OP story where shooting someone over robbery is excessive.
This story is another disgusting example that America is drunk and highly intoxicated on notions of violence being acceptable, good and heroic.

Shadow Wolf

Seriously, **** this attitude that applauds, cheers, celebrates and encourages violence as a solution instead of giving an actual damn and working to make America look more like a proper First World country than a ****hole Third World country where guns and violence are a normal, everyday part of life.
I'm nearly to the point of seeing those who like this as traitors against their own country, as they would rather see their fellow citizens living under threat of violence and getting killed and hurt rather than attempting to make America safe.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I completely approve, and I absolutely commend the quick thinking and courage of this 80 year old man who defended his establishment from an armed robbery.

While I encourage others to do the same… I also understand that not everyone might have the strength or ability to react and do what must be done, in the mere seconds you have to take action and make a choice. You also never know exactly how it all might play out… and you might not have much time to assess the risks. So, no matter what happens, trust your instincts and regret nothing.

I’m glad this situation turned out the way it did.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seriously, **** this attitude that applauds, cheers, celebrates and encourages violence as a solution...
Violence is indeed the best solution to some problems,
as this aged worker showed. One bad guy shot...the 3
others caught & arrested...the store worker survived.
4 bad guys are taken off the street...for a while anyway.

Shadow Wolf

We need to quit being so damn collectively stupid and realize that such stories are just reflections of how bad and dangerous America is. Other First World and Western countries don't have this sort of violence.
But this is the country that is so damn stupid it thinks a cure is just as good as preventing the disease in the first place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We need to quit being so damn collectively stupid and realize that such stories are just reflections of how bad and dangerous America is. Other First World and Western countries don't have this sort of violence.
But this is the country that is so damn stupid it thinks a cure is just as good as preventing the disease in the first place.
Until we achieve your utopia where misanthropes
don't attack innocents, I prefer to be armed, just
in case deadly force is the best solution to a problem.

Shadow Wolf

It solves absolutely nothing. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And America is drunk with this idea that somehow things like the OP are good. It's not. The problem persists, it lingers on, absolutely nothing is actually done. It's like squeezing the puss out of a festering would and thinking that's enough despite the deep red ring of infection surrounding the wound. No, at that point stuff must be done, like using an anti-septic and keeping the wound clean. However, these are things that should have been done in the first place, before the problem grew this bad.

Shadow Wolf

It's not a utopia. Literally this is other First World and Western Nations. And, yes, I acknowledge even in places like England people get stabbed. But knives are not nearly as deadly as guns, they don't make impulsive violence as easy as guns, and they're easier to defend against. Hence not as many people killed or severely injured in those attacks in other places.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

I'm guessing we're still a long, long way off from that utopia. My 5x-great grandparents and most of their kids were slaughtered, they were pacifists and didn't own any guns (he was a preacher who'd brought the Mennonite religion to Virginia in the 1700s). If his eldest daughter hadn't been quick thinking, I wouldn't be here.

250+ years later, we're farther away than ever from achieving his ideals.