• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff Announcement: The Forum Lag

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno about completely transparent.

It would be nice to disclose banned members rather than keeping it a secret from other people.

If a person is banned , members and guests should know publicly who is banned. Either a tag stating such or just a line through the moniker.
I never suggested we were publicly transparent about individual moderation.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion, though. In what way do you feel disclosure of banned members would be beneficial to the forum?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I wouldn't. I can only see one good use of it that ethical and thats if someone continuously makes accounts trolling and keeps coming back after you ban them with other accounts. But you can ip ban even with multiple ips on one user account. So i see no reason it would be a tool to be used. They keep coming back just ban why let them stick around if you want them gone that badly
It would be funny though, if you really disliked someone and wanted to mess with them

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I never suggested we were publicly transparent about individual moderation.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion, though. In what way do you feel disclosure of banned members would be beneficial to the forum?
It would garner perspective and Intel on the site. One could look at archived of banned persons and piece a larger picture of the sites motives for banning. Good or bad.

It would be easy to tell if banning is justified via rules set by the owners , or if it's due to bias or selectivity of what a particular site want it's members to be or behave while there.

It helps out in my view.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
It would be funny though, if you really disliked someone and wanted to mess with them
Yeah i can see another ethical use where you would prank someone but the person you pranked would have to know about it afterwards have their status restored to normal and be the type to laugh at something like that. Likely that wouldnt be to someone you dislike however. And there would be a risk of creating distrust with said person so it'd ideally would be someone who trusts you a lot not to do that thing continously.

Staff arent the type to pull those kinds of pranks tho as it would create distrust I'm sure.

SalixIncendium

Staff member
Premium Member
It would garner perspective and Intel on the site. One could look at archived of banned persons and piece a larger picture of the sites motives for banning. Good or bad.

It would be easy to tell if banning is justified via rules set by the owners , or if it's due to bias or selectivity of what a particular site want it's members to be or behave while there.

It helps out in my view.
How would such transparency impact your participation here?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
How would such transparency impact your participation here?
AFAIK we used to have a strike through banned users' names on the older software pre-Xenforo.

I found it very helpful because you could consider a member's history and understand why he was banned; it made the rules seem more transparent to non-staff and you could see what was considered unacceptable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
AFAIK we used to have a strike through banned users' names on the older software pre-Xenforo.

I found it very helpful because you could consider a member's history and understand why he was banned; it made the rules seem more transparent to non-staff and you could see what was considered unacceptable.
Exactly. If a site keeps banned people in the dark, all sorts of rumors and suspicions can pop in as to why it's such a secret.

RF in the old days had open disclosure and people could see and judge for themselves.

muhammad_isa

I also think but am not sure that doing that requires using the backend but I can't remember for sure. The admins and mods don't have access to that.
Actually, they do. (Admins) :)

However, it seems that many of us are experiencing problems, and I doubt it's due to the local network.
The server is probably experiencing high load due to some issue .. possibly badly-behaved robots, poor configuration or such like..
Sometimes the admin have other, more pressing problems in life to deal with :)

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Actually, they do. (Admins) :)

However, it seems that many of us are experiencing problems, and I doubt it's due to the local network.
The server is probably experiencing high load due to some issue .. possibly badly-behaved robots, poor configuration or such like..
Sometimes the admin have other, more pressing problems in life to deal with :)
The owners are the only ones with super admin privileges. They are never online. But the admins online often dont have super admin privileges.

SalixIncendium

Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno about completely transparent.

It would be nice to disclose banned members rather than keeping it a secret from other people.

If a person is banned , members and guests should know publicly who is banned. Either a tag stating such or just a line through the moniker.
Just so you are aware, the staff has discussed your suggestion behind the scenes and have decided to implement this.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Just so you are aware, the staff has discussed your suggestion behind the scenes and have decided to implement this.
Long long ago it used to come up in the spot under your name (where mine says Resident Sourpuss) BANNED {date of ban here}

There was also talk of having a forum named Banned with each thread more or less the banned members name and a short description of why.
Well the title of each thread was the members name and the first and only post is that particular members stats, I.E. join date, how many posts, number of frubals given, number of frubals received, ban date, reason for ban (i.e. pointed out) etc.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Long long ago it used to come up in the spot under your name (where mine says Resident Sourpuss) BANNED {date of ban here}

There was also talk of having a forum named Banned with each thread more or less the banned members name and a short description of why.
Well the title of each thread was the members name and the first and only post is that particular members stats, I.E. join date, how many posts, number of frubals given, number of frubals received, ban date, reason for ban (i.e. pointed out) etc.
We even discussed a forum for members who have passed away.
But then there was a software (either an update of switch over) and I do not recall anything much that way after wards.