• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirits vs Gods

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So you're saying you believe in spirits but not God/s - that correct?

Cant see if I answered this, and yes. The best I can think of what a god is, is a deified spirit with no original body. To me, a spirit is the soul or breathe of a person. A spirit is also a "peson" who lives on earth beyond his passing. Whether with flesh or no flesh, there is no difference in relationship.

For example, my grandmother lived as a human and now she lives as spirit. Just because she is a spirit doesn't mean I deify her. I treat her the same as I would when she was alive. How gods are defined are quite different than how I see spirits. They are seen higher than a human in one way or another. That in itself is odd. Also, gods are explained from being pure spirit without ever having a body to mind or consciouness.

That throws everything off in my head, to tell you honestly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not the way I conceive of them. For example, Thor is not the god of thunder, he is thunder; Tyr is not the god of law, justice and honor, he is law, justice and honor. These are real beings, far above us, not an archetype or personification, though we give them names and attributes: Bhagavad Gita 12.5

That would mean thunder is a being and not lightening and constriction of clouds and rain?

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Are there many a few types of spirits (if so, what are they?) or are there a plethera of different types of spirits, gods being one of many?

As a Spiritualist/Spiritist, my religion centers around the belief that there are spirit beings which can interact and commune with each of us individually, but especially through mediums. My own belief in spirit beings includes but is not limited to angels, demons, lwa (in Haitian Vodou via West Africa — the ethnic group's name escapes me at the moment, these are lesser dieties subservient to God and closely equivalent to angels and Roman Catholic saints), Orixas (similar to lwa, except these originate from Yoruba mythology which were incorporated into Santería), spirits of the ancestors and other deceased humans, nature spirits, various (other) deities as I said, and a bunch of other types of spirit beings. I hope I didn't confuse you with my answer, Carlita, and I very much appreciate the question.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a Spiritualist/Spiritist, my religion centers around the belief that there are spirit beings which can interact and commune with each of us individually, but especially through mediums. My own belief in spirit beings includes but is not limited to angels, demons, lwa (in Haitian Vodou via West Africa — the ethnic group's name escapes me at the moment, these are lesser dieties subservient to God and closely equivalent to angels and Roman Catholic saints), Orixas (similar to lwa, except these originate from Yoruba mythology which were incorporated into Santería), spirits of the ancestors and other deceased humans, nature spirits, various deities as I said, and a bunch of other types of spirit beings. I hope I didn't confuse you with my answer, Carlita, and I very much appreciate the question.

You're welcome. You have a huge family of spirits there. How did you come across each ethnic group? Im very sure there are a lot of differences in the gods or spirits just as much as there are similarities?

Sundance

Premium Member

You're welcome. You have a huge family of spirits there. How did you come across each ethnic group? Im very sure there are a lot of differences in the gods or spirits just as much as there are similarities?

Through a whole lot of study of many groups and personal experiences with a few others. Tell me, Carlita, do you believe in communion with beings in the spirit world?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a Spiritualist/Spiritist, my religion centers around the belief that there are spirit beings which can interact and commune with each of us individually, but especially through mediums. My own belief in spirit beings includes but is not limited to angels, demons, lwa (in Haitian Vodou via West Africa — the ethnic group's name escapes me at the moment, these are lesser dieties subservient to God and closely equivalent to angels and Roman Catholic saints), Orixas (similar to lwa, except these originate from Yoruba mythology which were incorporated into Santería), spirits of the ancestors and other deceased humans, nature spirits, various (other) deities as I said, and a bunch of other types of spirit beings. I hope I didn't confuse you with my answer, Carlita, and I very much appreciate the question.

Have you thought about going to see a Santero or Babalowo and becoming an aboricha(o?)? As you may already know, Santeria has the mix of Catholicism. Espiritism has talking to the deceased. I am sure mediums are involved in every ritual though I dont know the name they use.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Through a whole lot of study of many groups and personal experiences with a few others. Tell me, Carlita, do you believe in communion with beings in the spirit world?

Yes, I sure do. I never knew what you call it or how to name it, really. It would be nice if I can communicate more in a formal manner; but, time and time and again, I'm reminded I'm more free spirited. In the middle of two worlds.

Kinda like the spirits are telling me, "talk how you want to talk to me" type of thing.

Sundance

Premium Member
Have you thought about going to see a Santero or Babalowo and becoming an aboricha(o?)? As you may already know, Santeria has the mix of Catholicism. Espiritism has talking to the deceased. I am sure mediums are involved in every ritual though I dont know the name they use.

Actually, no, although I would love to now that you mention it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually, no, although I would love to now that you mention it.

It's deep. If you are in the states, see if you can find a person to talk with at a Botanica store. I dont know if that's by coinsedence many are at those stores or stereotypes, but that's the only place I can think of to start. It's also expensive to, as so I'm told. I would have gone into it if I believed in a Creator and had the money.

Sundance

Premium Member
It's deep. If you are in the states, see if you can find a person to talk with at a Botanica store. I dont know if that's by coinsedence many are at those stores or stereotypes, but that's the only place I can think of to start. It's also expensive to, as so I'm told. I would have gone into it if I believed in a Creator and had the money.

Wow, Carlita! You're super cool! Thanks so much for your help.

Janardena

Thank you. Kinda like God is more specifically a spirit without definition of any human attributes (for example, being human before his passing). He just exists. I dont understand the consciousness part, if that's not the case. Interesting, nonetheless.

What is your comprehension of God, and how did you arrive at that conclusion?

rusra02

Premium Member
The only way, sorry to compare, I can see God being physical is through the Eucharist. A part from the Eucharist, I would imagine how the Bible describes God as a walking figure as you and me. Reminds me of the song, "what if God were one of us?" As a spirit, I'd see as someone living on earth beyond one's passing. In a God definition, I can't compare him to a spirit because he cannot be seen with the naked eye. If God is a feeling and experience, that I understand. As a being walking around like one of us (?), it sounds surreal both from the bible and believers.
It may seem difficult to believe spirit persons exist. The Bible confirms they do. Many inanimate things we cannot see exist and affect us. Radio waves, Gravity, etc. The true God is infinitely greater than we are, IMO. At Isaiah 40:26 we are invited to; "Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.Who has created these things?It is the One who brings out their army by number;He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,Not one of them is missing."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What is your comprehension of God, and how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Oh. I mean to put a question mark.

Kinda like God is more specifically a spirit without definition of any human attributes (for example, being human before his passing). He just exists?

I thought maybe that's what people mean by god, a deified spirit without first having human attributes. Separating human spirit and just making god a spirit and deifying him.

I honestly don't believe spirits exist without their human hosts. That is why it is confusing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It may seem difficult to believe spirit persons exist. The Bible confirms they do. Many inanimate things we cannot see exist and affect us. Radio waves, Gravity, etc. The true God is infinitely greater than we are, IMO. At Isaiah 40:26 we are invited to; "Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.Who has created these things?It is the One who brings out their army by number;He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,Not one of them is missing."

Yes. There are things that exist without us knowing. In my opinion, god is not one of them. When I think of god, I think of a deified spirit. However, I never believed spirits can exist without having a human host. The Bible doesn't explain reality in and of itself. It explains the reality seen by its believers both in the Bible and outside of it. So, outside of opinion, it is not a good reference.

In general, though, how can a spirit exist without its human host? Anyone can say anything exist without us seeing it. Anyone can make that claim or opinion; however, that doesn't make it objectively true.

So both of us are just talking in opinions, claims, and beliefs not general reality as all people should know.

From that perspective, how does the Bible, sense that is the bases if your reality, define a spirit without a human host? When a Christian says "god is love", is love (or Love) walking around just as a human spirit? I believe spirits are visible. I have seen them and so have my family. I have never seen god or any person who mimics god of scripture. How can that spirit claim be true if the Bible describes it as experiences (Moses and the bush as well as God as an dove)?

Lots of questions. Biblical explanations does not make sense to me and I know that is a full thread just explaning from a biblical view. From your opinion, since opinions are easier to understand, how can a spirit exist wtihout its human host? If god is a spirit without a human host, what about this spirit lets you believe any believer should deify it? What about this spirit screams to you that it is a creator?

Spirits, to me, are just like humans. They have no heirarchy. They are not worshiped.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
an attempt to explain reality was made in Genesis.
but the effort is soooooo very brief.
the understanding is left up to you.

and it is written.....when questioned what His name might be....
Tell the people....I AM!...and they that understand will know Whose law this is.

Getting a grip on reality would then be a trick.
and it's yours to perform.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That would mean thunder is a being and not lightening and constriction of clouds and rain?

We think of lightning as Thor's hammer Mjöllnir hitting its target. There are forces, energies, and beings we don't understand.

I mentioned Bhagavad Gita 12.5, in which Krishna says it is difficult for those who are embodied (us, in this world) to understand the unmanifest. I try not to overthink who and what the Gods are, and just "feel". :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I try not to overthink who and what the Gods are, and just "feel".

That makes sense. I do the same with family. I cant prove one hundred percent they exist objectively. Its a feeling and experience that they exist to me.

I probably wont understand how you define thunder as a god. I can see a spirit behind the force of thunder and that spirit and/or thunder can be diefied. Other than that, ya have me at a lost.1