• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soul of the nation: how Joe Biden's faith will shape his presidency

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
In the UK centre-left Guardian newspaper today:

He carries a rosary in his pocket, one that belonged to his dead son, Beau. On election day last Tuesday, he went to mass, as he does every Sunday.

In his victory speech on Saturday night, he quoted from Ecclesiastes: “The Bible tells us that to everything there is a season – a time to build, a time to reap, a time to sow. And a time to heal. This is the time to heal in America.”

For only the second time in US history, a Catholic will occupy the White House when Joe Biden is sworn in as the country’s 46th president. A man of profound faith, he has pledged to restore the “soul of the nation” after four years of rancour.

At his side will be a vice-president who, as well as being the first woman of colour to hold the position, comes from a family that has embraced the Baptist church, Hinduism and Judaism.

Catholic bishops in the US were quick to congratulate the president-elect, acknowledging that he will be only the second president to be a Catholic, John F Kennedy being the first.

“At this moment in American history, Catholics have a special duty to be peacemakers, to promote fraternity and mutual trust, and to pray for a renewed spirit of true patriotism in our country,” said José Gomez, archbishop of Los Angeles and president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Biden’s Catholicism is at the core of his life and is likely to shape the way he governs as president.

“I’m as much a cultural Catholic as I am a theological Catholic,” he wrote in his book, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics. “My idea of self, of family, of community, of the wider world comes straight from my religion. It’s not so much the Bible, the beatitudes, the Ten Commandments, the sacraments, or the prayers I learned. It’s the culture.”

Less than two weeks ago, in an article for the Christian Post, Biden wrote: “My Catholic faith drilled into me a core truth – that every person on earth is equal in rights and dignity, because we are all beloved children of God.”

As president, he added: “These are the principles that will shape all that I do, and my faith will continue to serve as my anchor, as it has my entire life.”

Several of Biden’s campaign ads featured footage of his meetings with Pope Francis. In a 2015 interview, Biden said Francis was “the embodiment of Catholic social doctrine that I was raised with. The idea that everyone’s entitled to dignity, that the poor should be given special preference, that you have an obligation to reach out and be inclusive.”

At the Democratic convention in August, when Biden was formally adopted as the party’s candidate in the presidential race, his friend and successor as a Delaware senator, Chris Coons, said Biden’s faith was not “a prop or political tool”.

“Joe’s faith is really about our future, about a world with less suffering and more justice, where we’re better stewards of creation, where we have a more just immigration policy and where we call out and confront the original sins of this nation, the sins of slavery and racism. Joe knows these are central issues in this election. And for him, they’re rooted in faith,” Coons said.

Biden has said he personally believes life begins at conception but recognises others do not share his view. “What I’m not prepared to do is impose a precise view that is borne out of my faith on other people,” he said in a 2015 interview with America magazine.

Biden has not always been a champion of LGBT+ rights, but he now supports same sex marriage and has pledged to enact the Equality Act within 100 days of becoming president. He will be the “most pro-equality president we have ever had”, according to LGBT rights campaigner Chad Griffin.

His Catholicism and Irish roots appear to have appealed to voters in strongly culturally Catholic rust belt states such as Pennsylvania. Just over half of US Catholics (51%) voted for Biden last week, compared with 45% who voted Democrat in 2016; and 47% voted for Trump this time, compared with 52% in the previous election, according to exit polls.

Biden has frequently said his faith had helped him cope with personal tragedies, including the death of his first wife and daughter in a 1972 car crash and again in 2015 when his son, Beau, died from cancer.

Anthea Butler, professor of religious studies at the University of Pennsylvania, said Biden’s language of hope and healing “speaks a lot to his Catholic faith”. She told BBC Radio 4’s Sunday programme: “I think he wants to set a tone that is not simply conciliatory but that is faith-based.”

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I turned from an "anybody but Trump" Democrat who was OK with Biden into a full supporter of his because of who he is as illustrated by the OP article.

He will make mistakes, of course, being human. He will do things I don't agree with, of course. But I trust him to be a mensch, a person of honor and integrity, who seeks to do his best.

Altfish

Veteran Member

He carries a rosary in his pocket, one that belonged to his dead son, Beau. On election day last Tuesday, he went to mass, as he does every Sunday.

In his victory speech on Saturday night, he quoted from Ecclesiastes: “The Bible tells us that to everything there is a season – a time to build, a time to reap, a time to sow. And a time to heal. This is the time to heal in America.”

For only the second time in US history, a Catholic will occupy the White House when Joe Biden is sworn in as the country’s 46th president. A man of profound faith, he has pledged to restore the “soul of the nation” after four years of rancour.

At his side will be a vice-president who, as well as being the first woman of colour to hold the position, comes from a family that has embraced the Baptist church, Hinduism and Judaism.

Catholic bishops in the US were quick to congratulate the president-elect, acknowledging that he will be only the second president to be a Catholic, John F Kennedy being the first.

“At this moment in American history, Catholics have a special duty to be peacemakers, to promote fraternity and mutual trust, and to pray for a renewed spirit of true patriotism in our country,” said José Gomez, archbishop of Los Angeles and president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Biden’s Catholicism is at the core of his life and is likely to shape the way he governs as president.

“I’m as much a cultural Catholic as I am a theological Catholic,” he wrote in his book, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics. “My idea of self, of family, of community, of the wider world comes straight from my religion. It’s not so much the Bible, the beatitudes, the Ten Commandments, the sacraments, or the prayers I learned. It’s the culture.”

Less than two weeks ago, in an article for the Christian Post, Biden wrote: “My Catholic faith drilled into me a core truth – that every person on earth is equal in rights and dignity, because we are all beloved children of God.”

As president, he added: “These are the principles that will shape all that I do, and my faith will continue to serve as my anchor, as it has my entire life.”

Several of Biden’s campaign ads featured footage of his meetings with Pope Francis. In a 2015 interview, Biden said Francis was “the embodiment of Catholic social doctrine that I was raised with. The idea that everyone’s entitled to dignity, that the poor should be given special preference, that you have an obligation to reach out and be inclusive.”

At the Democratic convention in August, when Biden was formally adopted as the party’s candidate in the presidential race, his friend and successor as a Delaware senator, Chris Coons, said Biden’s faith was not “a prop or political tool”.

“Joe’s faith is really about our future, about a world with less suffering and more justice, where we’re better stewards of creation, where we have a more just immigration policy and where we call out and confront the original sins of this nation, the sins of slavery and racism. Joe knows these are central issues in this election. And for him, they’re rooted in faith,” Coons said.

Biden has said he personally believes life begins at conception but recognises others do not share his view. “What I’m not prepared to do is impose a precise view that is borne out of my faith on other people,” he said in a 2015 interview with America magazine.

Biden has not always been a champion of LGBT+ rights, but he now supports same sex marriage and has pledged to enact the Equality Act within 100 days of becoming president. He will be the “most pro-equality president we have ever had”, according to LGBT rights campaigner Chad Griffin.

His Catholicism and Irish roots appear to have appealed to voters in strongly culturally Catholic rust belt states such as Pennsylvania. Just over half of US Catholics (51%) voted for Biden last week, compared with 45% who voted Democrat in 2016; and 47% voted for Trump this time, compared with 52% in the previous election, according to exit polls.

Biden has frequently said his faith had helped him cope with personal tragedies, including the death of his first wife and daughter in a 1972 car crash and again in 2015 when his son, Beau, died from cancer.

Anthea Butler, professor of religious studies at the University of Pennsylvania, said Biden’s language of hope and healing “speaks a lot to his Catholic faith”. She told BBC Radio 4’s Sunday programme: “I think he wants to set a tone that is not simply conciliatory but that is faith-based.”
But don't forget that Trump was the real, true, bigly Christian - much more faithful than Biden - oh, and my Mum was Mary Magdalene

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God has offerd that America will lead the way to peace and that the Catholics do have a great foundation of faith in God.

I wish all the best to all people in America, and may you all fulfill the great destiny for America.

Regards Tony

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
But don't forget that Trump was the real, true, bigly Christian - much more faithful than Biden - oh, and my Mum was Mary Magdalene

Yep and my mum is the Virgin Mary :D

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The president is not the "soul of the nation". :rolleyes:
The president is the person who managed to get the most votes by telling folks what they want to hear.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The president is not the "soul of the nation". :rolleyes:
The president is the person who managed to get the most votes by telling folks what they want to hear.
Yeah, the president doesn't even have that much power. This idolization of presidents seems to be a modern cultural thing that the founders didn't even intend. They probably didn't even want to be the focus of a hero cult, either, but that's what has happened.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the president doesn't even have that much power. This idolization of presidents seems to be a modern cultural thing that the founders didn't even intend. They probably didn't even want to be the focus of a hero cult, either, but that's what has happened.

If I'm not mistaken - though I may very well be! - I think a combination of the presidencies of Abraham Lincoln (who was valorized as a sort of 'national prophet') during the American Civil War and FDR during the Second World War, are likely to account for this 'idolization' or presidential cult of personality.

Last edited:

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam

Well, for one, while he is still a Christian like every other US president, at least the US don't have a damned Protestant running the show this time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken - though I may very well be! - I think a combination of the presidencies of Abraham Lincoln (who was valorized as a sort of 'national prophet') during the American Civil War and FDR during the Second World War, are likely to account for this 'idolization' or presidential cult of personality.
That makes sense. I'm sure you're right.

Yokefellow

In a 2015 interview, Biden said Francis was “the embodiment of Catholic social doctrine that I was raised with. The idea that everyone’s entitled to dignity, that the poor should be given special preference, that you have an obligation to reach out and be inclusive.”

When Joe Biden met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his war cabinet during his visit to Israel, the U.S. president assured them: "I don't believe you have to be a Jew to be a Zionist, and I am a Zionist."