• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikh Queenslanders allowed to carry ceremonial knives in schools after court ruling

danieldemol

Premium Member
Wasn't sure if this belongs in religious news or political debates, but I suppose the mods can move it if necessary;

'Sikh Queenslanders allowed to carry ceremonial knives in schools after court ruling​

The Kirpan resembles a small, blunt sword that is usually worn beneath clothing...
...Carrying knives in public places and schools in Queensland was subject to a blanket ban — until this week.'

Source: A Queensland court just allowed some people to carry knives in schools. Here's why

So basically from what I gather as a student you are only allowed to carry a knife in queensland schools for religious reasons after the courts overturned an earlier decision.

The article notes that the Sikh kirpan is blunt, but if it mentioned that there is a requirement for religious weapons to be blunt I must have missed it.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I googled images of Kirpans, even if blunt the pointy end would be able to do a lot of damage.

And I wonder how far this law goes. Will Sikh prisoners be allowed to carry them in prison? On the other hand I have never heard of anyone being attacked by a Kirpan. I'm glad I'm not involved in the decision making.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I googled images of Kirpans, even if blunt the pointy end would be able to do a lot of damage.

And I wonder how far this law goes. Will Sikh prisoners be allowed to carry them in prison? On the other hand I have never heard of anyone being attacked by a Kirpan. I'm glad I'm not involved in the decision making.

Hey @John53
There was an attack in Australia at a school. That is what led to the original (but temporary) ban, while they tried to determine the long term position.
(There is a link in the OPs article actually)

When I last checked in on this case, some of the suggestions were around allowing them, but rendering them more safe. However, it apears they'll simply be allowed.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Big deal. Humpf

In Greece military medical students carry swords. So what?

I think you're missing the point. There are rules against carrying knives in Australia. A religious exception has been made.

Whether you agree or not, that's noteworthy.

I'm assuming it's not only one religious group who carry swords in medical school.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Hey @John53
There was an attack in Australia at a school. That is what led to the original (but temporary) ban, while they tried to determine the long term position.
(There is a link in the OPs article actually)

When I last checked in on this case, some of the suggestions were around allowing them, but rendering them more safe. However, it apears they'll simply be allowed.

Interesting. I wonder what will happen if there's another attack. Will the judges be held responsible :shrug:

Treks

Carrying the 5 Ks (of which kirpan is one) is only an obligation for initiated Sikhs.

I'm curious what percentage of school students are actually initiated and taking their religious obligation seriously enough to genuinely require this exemption.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Carrying the 5 Ks (of which kirpan is one) is only an obligation for initiated Sikhs.

I'm curious what percentage of school students are actually initiated and taking their religious obligation seriously enough to genuinely require this exemption.

I think it's more parents couldn't participate in school activities. Fete's, tuckshop, sporting events...

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Seems attacks are not all that uncommon, this site lists some cases though it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while. Also, if you go to Google News and type "kirpan attacks" there are some incidents in the past year, from India to Canada.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Great news! I don't recall much about Sikhism from the world religious survey I did over a decade ago now, but one of the things I do remember is the practice of keeping sacred ceremonial knives being important to them. Very nice to see this exception granted!

Treks

I think it's more parents couldn't participate in school activities. Fete's, tuckshop, sporting events...
We'll need a bit more clarity as the article basically says that schools can still ban students from carrying knives.

If it's just adults visiting the school, that's fine.

@Callisto I think you'll find the Canadian violence is mostly, if not entirely, Khalistani-related. These are a group demanding a Sikh homeland be created, called Khalistan.

Treks

Great news! I don't recall much about Sikhism from the world religious survey I did over a decade ago now, but one of the things I do remember is the practice of keeping sacred ceremonial knives being important to them. Very nice to see this exception granted!
We hear about the knives a lot more than the underwear :D

danieldemol

Premium Member
Upon re-reading the article I think you are correct.
'Judges said their decision was not about overturning bans on children carrying knives' from the OP article.

Must have missed it, thanks for the catch.

vulcanlogician

The article notes that the Sikh kirpan is blunt, but if it mentioned that there is a requirement for religious weapons to be blunt I must have missed it.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd edition. It explicitly states that the cleric class may not ever shed blood by using a bladed or piercing weapon. Instead (like civilized folk) they must only use bludgeoning weapons when they are murdering some other being.