• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you believe the trinity doctrine?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I personally have read the scriptures and I just cannot read the trinity in the bible. why should we believe it?
Do you think belief in the trinity matters one way or the other?

I think you can piece together a symbolic understanding of the trinity if you want, but it isn't necessary to Christianity in my view.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Do you think belief in the trinity matters one way or the other?

I think you can piece together a symbolic understanding of the trinity if you want, but it isn't necessary to Christianity in my view.
Well to be quite honest I do believe that it is quite necessary to know, just because If Jehovah is god then we should be worshipping him and if jesus is not god and we are giving full credit to Jesus for Yahweh's work we don't really know the true god. John 17:3 Jesus says to god the father this is life everlasting there coming to know you the only true god "and" Jesus Christ whom you sent. maybe eternal life is at stake. what do you think?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I personally have read the scriptures and I just cannot read the trinity in the bible. why should we believe it?
Well, just as you, a Jehovah's Witness, are told not to believe it, those of other denominations are told to. So that's why a person should or should not believe it: it's what they're told to do. Now is either reason rational? Not in the least.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Well, just as you, a Jehovah's Witness, are told not to believe it, those of other denominations are told to. So that's why a person should or should not believe it: it's what they're told to do. Now is either reason rational? Not in the least.

Well I do I agree with you that it is not rational to believe because someone tells you to, I have to disagree with you that I do what they tell me. I personally have questioned their doctrines and have done extensive research on my own so I would say that your statement is not correct.

anonymous9887

bible reader
I am sorry I misunderstood you. I believe that before you jump on any boat of ideas you should do heavy research. Did you do heavy research before choosing to be agnostic?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well I do I agree with you that it is not rational to believe because someone tells you to, I have to disagree with you that I do what they tell me.

I personally have questioned their doctrines and have done extensive research on my own so I would say that your statement is not correct.
So you believe in the trinity?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I am sorry I misunderstood you. I believe that before you jump on any boat of ideas you should do heavy research. Did you do heavy research before choosing to be agnostic?
Nope. I just waited for someone to convince me god existed, and failing that, I decided to sit on the fence.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Nope. I just waited for someone to convince me god existed, and failing that, I decided to sit on the fence.
I would also strongly recommend that you do a little more research before sitting on the fence of not believing in god, every stance that we have should be on a thorough research but I culd share why I believe the bible.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
what do you think?
Well, it sounds like in your case if you just worship Jehovah you'll be fine. But I think the best worship is good thoughts and deeds in your life.
maybe eternal life is at stake.
I don't agree with that. Do you think God/Jehovah would make something that important so unclear that the good people can make all kinds of various debates?

anonymous9887

bible reader
Yes I agree that it is our actions are our best worship, but we also must pay homage to Jehovah he deserves worship as our creator. So we would have to also define worship, but im not sure if you believe in the bible to define it with the bible. Do you believe in the bible? Next I Do believe Jehovah conceals his word from those that don't have the right intentions. for example matthew 11:25 this information was hidden from the Pharisees because they did not have the right heart condition to accept him as the messiah. Again Jehovah wants even the wicked to turn their life course around but some are unwilling, so therefore the secrets remain a secret to them. Ezekiel 18:23

Skwim

Veteran Member
so you don't believe in the bible?
Correct. I'm an agnostic. Agnostics don't believe in the Bible.

I would also strongly recommend that you do a little more research before sitting on the fence of not believing in god, every stance that we have should be on a thorough research but I culd share why I believe the bible.
I have no desire or need to. So, unless you can provide a convincing reason why I should bother, it doesn't interest me in the least.

anonymous9887

bible reader
ok how about the scientific accuracies the bible has that were not possible for the authors to know?
What about the answers to life's greatest mysteries
Why is there so much suffering?
why does god allow it?
and many of your other questions don't you think the bible deserves a chance to answer those questions?
One of my favorite scriptures is Isaiah 40:22 written in about 700 B.C. There is one who dwells above the "Circle" (or sphere Hebrew word chug) of the earth.

Skwim

Veteran Member
ok how about the scientific accuracies the bible has that were not possible for the authors to know?
why does god allow it?
and many of your other questions don't you think the bible deserves a chance to answer those questions?
One of my favorite scriptures is Isaiah 40:22 written in about 700 B.C. There is one who dwells above the "Circle" (or sphere Hebrew word chug) of the earth.
These are reasons why I should bother looking into the existence of a god? Really? Actually, this detour from the issue of a god's existence to the irrelevant issue of Christian faith is kind of ugly. Reminds me of the underhanded doorstep tactics of religious door-knockers.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

Name one.

I can name dozens of scientific inaccuracies.

Which are?

why does god allow it?

Because we have free will. Bad things happen because someone chooses to do something bad. If God controlled everything, it would no longer be free will. It also means that He would be to blame for all the evil and suffering, and at the same time it would be unfair to raise and judge the dead according to their deeds, when He was in control of those deeds in the first place.

It is just poetry.

anonymous9887

bible reader
These are reasons why I should bother looking into the existence of a god? Really? Actually, this detour from the issue of a god's existence to the irrelevant issue of Christian faith is kind of ugly. Reminds me of the underhanded doorstep tactics of religious door-knockers.
I guess you are just more comfortable not wanting or needing a god. you seem content have a great day.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Name one.

Which are?

Because we have free will. Bad things happen because someone chooses to do something bad. If God controlled everything, it would no longer be free will. It also means that He would be to blame for all the evil and suffering, and at the same time it would be unfair to raise and judge the dead according to their deeds, when He was in control of those deeds in the first place.

It is just poetry.
I have looked at all those so called scientific inaccuracies, but are you trying to find contradiction, because for example one guy said that god cursed the serpent and it would eat dirt the rest of its days and he said it was in accurate but he is not talking about an actual serpent. so context matters.
Ok answer this question for me:
why are we not perfect as human beings?
Will we as mankind ever experience peace?

this is just scratching the surface

you could call it poetry but why didn't this man go with all the other popular ideas of his time?

anonymous9887

bible reader
Name one.

Which are?

It is just poetry.
Just to point out what you said goes to my point god wants people who want to worship him not forcibly but those who oppose will eventually be destroyed, and god will have a people who want to worship him. there is more to why he allows those people to remain and why he allows things he has a plan and has revealed it in his word the scriptures

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I have looked at all those so called scientific inaccuracies, but are you trying to find contradiction, because for example one guy said that god cursed the serpent and it would eat dirt the rest of its days and he said it was in accurate but he is not talking about an actual serpent. so context matters.

I await your reply with a scientific accuracy...